This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

One artist.

edited April 2008 in Art!
I hope this is the right forum. It says it's for artists to post their work, but I figure it's probably good to talk about art too.

Please post one artist who's exploding your brain lately. Maybe we can all turn each other on to something cool that we haven't seen.

For me, it's Miwa Shirow, who does a manga called Dogs: Bullets & Carnage. It's not licensed in the US, but you can find the scans pretty easily. I imported the two tankoubons that are available, because it's so beautiful I had to have a hard copy. He draws really elegant characters, and really scummy looking environments, which I love. And his action scenes are some of the best I've ever seen, with crazy perspective shots all over the place. His characters all have a really distinct look, too, unlike a lot of manga where everyone kinda looks the same.

edit: I didn't even provide a link before, so here are some scans.

imageimageimageimage

Comments

• edited April 2008
    David Hockney

[Edit] Are we sticking to visual art here?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Currently I'm really digging the art of Kio Shimoku, mostly because I just finished reading Genshiken. Regardless he is a really good artist. Not only are the characters very well designed, and have a lot of variety between them, but he also does some amazingly detailed backgrounds. All his buildings and interiors look spot on and completely real.
  • Currently I'm really digging the art of Kio Shimoku, mostly because I just finished reading Genshiken. Regardless he is a really good artist. Not only are the characters very well designed, and have a lot of variety between them, but he also does some amazingly detailed backgrounds. All his buildings and interiors look spot on and completely real.
    Agreed to the tenth power. I like how you saw his work advance through the series as well. Compare the first volume to the last. You can see a difference.
  • Chris Bachalo. I didn't really like the story in X-Men but his art had me salivating, even if it was slightly rushed in spots. I can't wait to check out his work in Spiderman. Feels a little mainstream for this list but I went with my gut.

Having looked through some of the link above...man is Craig Mullins able to draw some amazing things.
  • @Sail - That's interesting stuff. I guess you don't have to stick to visual arts. I mean, visual arts were my intent, but follow your heart. :)

@Kiey - I haven't seen his stuff before. I just looked through some Genshiken. He does draw some nice backgrounds.

@Bear Police - I hear great things about Blankets, but I've never gotten around to reading it. He has a nice style, and I like his color palettes.

@Alex - Oh man, Craig Mullins has been amazing me for years. He was so humbling back when I thought I was gonna be a concept artist.

@Sime - Chris Bachalo is one of my favorite American comics artists. I've read his stuff off and on since he was doing the first Death miniseries. It's interesting how his style has changed. He does need some serious work on his storytelling, though. I bought both Steampunk books, and haven't even gotten through the first one. Unreadable -- can't tell what's going on at all. Some of the blame falls on the colorist, but he just makes everything way too busy, and his layouts are confusing. Still, great draftsman.
  • edited April 2008
    Makoto Kobayashi, the guy who made "What's Michael?" and "Club 9". They're old comics but his character's expressions are great and expressive. Also very asian. I use him as an example of great character design.

He also writes great comedies.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • @Bear Police - I hear great things about Blankets, but I've never gotten around to reading it. He has a nice style, and I like his color palettes.
    You won't be disappointed. It's up there with Watchmen and Bone.
  • edited April 2008
    Schiele
    Hopper
    Klimt
    Rockwell
    Chapelle

Are basically my all time favorite artists, I also really dig Pollock and Alex Ross too (mostly because of the heavy Rockwell influence)

and of course my main man Tex Avery
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited April 2008
    I've always liked Mutsumi Inomata, a novel illustrator and videogame character designer. Her art is very feminine and beautiful, with intricate hair, costumes, and jewelry. Her work for Weathering Continent (a fantasy light novel, with its own obscure anime) is probably my favorite. I found an art book for WC through extensive digging at Otakon - I can only hope I will find more this year.

Samples of her work:
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • edited April 2008
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Heinrich Kley

This is just one artist some of you might not know. He's awesome with the pen and ink. I grew up with this book <3
    haha .... but I didn't learn much from it.
  • Jamie Hewlett

He was the original artist of Tank Girl, and then moved onto Gorillaz. I've loved the punkish art of Gorillaz for a long time, and died when I found a Tank Girl trade paper back. The washes are -beautiful- and I love it. At the time that I was reading it, I didn't actually know it was the same guy. ^-^

My fav two examples:
  • Did you really just post a picture of a vibrator on here? I believe that's a first...
  • Rob Gonsalves
    w00t surrealism!
  • Rob Gonsalves
    w00t surrealism!
    Oh my god...new favorite artist. O_O
  • Did you really just post a picture of a vibrator on here? I believe that's a first.
    Is that a vibrator? I thought it was like, a lil torpedo... ._.
  • Is that a vibrator? I thought it was like, a lil torpedo... ._.
    Nope
  • Tank Girl is awesome.
  • a lil torpedo
    Made me lol.
  • edited April 2008
    @Bear Police - I hear great things about Blankets, but I've never gotten around to reading it. He has a nice style, and I like his color palettes.
    You won't be disappointed. It's up there with Watchmen and Bone.
    You know, I never got around to Bone either, aside from a few floppies as they were coming out back in the late 90s. I'm such a bad comic fan. Anyway, Blankets is on my list now.

I also really dig Pollock and Alex Ross too (mostly because of the heavy Rockwell influence)
    If you like Rockwell, have you heard of J.C. Leyendecker? He was Rockwell's idol, and in my opinion, better than Rockwell. I have a bunch of photos I took at a gallery showing. It's hard to find high-resolution stuff of his on the net, and all the books are out of print.

@kage_rod -- I love Jamie Hewlett's stuff, but I like his recent stuff a lot more than the old Tank Girl stuff. Nice dildo. :)
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • If you like Rockwell, have you heard of J.C. Leyendecker? He was Rockwell's idol, and in my opinion, better than Rockwell. I have abunch of photosI took at a gallery showing. It's hard to find high-resolution stuff of his on the net, and all the books are out of print.
    Yeah, everyone was talking about Leyendecker when TF2 came out.
  • Is that a vibrator? I thought it was like, a lil torpedo... ._.
    Nope
    *extremely disturbed* Craaaap. I'm sorry. XD; Remind me to never just Google and steal the images... x.x;
  • Why disturbed? are people over there really that stiff? whats wrong with a dildo? I find it actually really cool
  • edited April 2008
    what's wrong with a dildo?
    Because no-one at asks you, when boarding a plane, whether that is a vibrator on the x-ray or, in fact, a miniature torpedo!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • what's wrong with a dildo?
    Because no-one at asks you, when boarding a plane, whether that is a vibrator on the x-ray or, in fact, a miniature torpedo!
    Besides, it's a vibrator, not a dildo....
  • Why disturbed? are people over there really that stiff? whats wrong with a dildo? I find it actually really cool
    In a way,it is cool. But I feel really stupid. XD