This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mario Kart Wii

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
When did this happen? I never even heard about it... MKW

It came out in Japan last week and has gotten pretty good reviews, so I'll definitely pre-order on NewEgg when it releases on April 27th. It also comes with a WiiWheel.

Comments

• Buying video games from Newegg, eh? I've always bought them from Amazon, but Newegg might not be a bad idea.
  • Well they sent me an email today, and I saw a tiny link for Mario Kart Wii, and it was decently priced. Why not?
  • I believe New Egg is $1 more expensive when you factor in shipping. Their shipping may be faster, though. Deepdiscount is the cheapest of the three. It's $1 less than Amazon. Both Amazon and Deepdiscount have free shipping.
  • I believe New Egg is $1 more expensive when you factor in shipping. Their shipping may be faster, though. Deepdiscount is the cheapest of the three. It's $1 less than Amazon. Both Amazon and Deepdiscount have free shipping.
    I didn't know Deepdiscount sold video games either. Damns.

I think I will stick with Amazon, though. I like having video games show up in the same package as kitchen utensils.

As for Mario Kart Wii, I've known it was coming for quite some time. I read the Internets. I look at what games are being released soon, and I pre-order them. I think we even did a news on the show about how Mario Kart Wii has no snaking. I have great confidence in this game.
  • Nintendo has been sort of quiet about their releases as of late. They only really announced Mario Kart Wii at E3 in June/July this year, and even then they really didn't show too much. It seems that they are sort of talking the Apple strategy of showing something really close to its release. I've heard they plan to announce a big game at E3 this year that will be out in the fall, so it will be interesting to see what that is.

From what I've heard about the game from my friend that has played it, is that its really good, and the multiplayer works (with no noticeable lag.)
  • They just released their Spring Summit media kit on the 18th.
  • Scott needs to add the Mario Kart Wii tag to the IDShare menu.
  • I've heard they plan to announce a big game at E3 this year that will be out in the fall, so it will be interesting to see what that is.
    New Kid Icarus, new Kid Icarus, new Kid Icarus... come on new Kid Icarus!
  • I've heard they plan to announce a big game at E3 this year that will be out in the fall, so it will be interesting to see what that is.
    New Kid Icarus, new Kid Icarus, new Kid Icarus... come on new Kid Icarus!
    No new Mario Party, no new Mario Party, no new Mario Party... go away, Mario Party!
  • edited April 2008
    I just got a copy of the game today (a day early) around noon from an awesome local gaming store. Impressions so far after about 4 hours of gameplay:

Good:
    -Online is the best implementation, minus the lack of voice, the wii has for anything yet
    -Tilting is responsive, and feels much better than games like Excite Truck or Need for Speed
    -The addition of motorcycles makes picking your cart a bit deeper than just specifications
    -You can download ghosts of other people's runs to race against
    -Some items you get do bad things to yourself and you must tag another kart to get rid of it (Not sure if this was on the DS)
    -Tracks from past games are included
    -The Wii Wheel (Wiile?) gives you a bigger grip, and a better 'B' button
    -To an extent, no snaking

Bad:
    -'Rubberband' AI is annoying
    -There are times when I've gone from 2nd to 10th place in 5 seconds after being hit with multiple shells
    -Not all tracks are unlocked at the start
    -Framerate dropped a bit in the game that I was playing. It gave me a headache for 5 minutes, then I got used to it.

The last Mario Kart game that I really played was on the N64, and a bit on the DS, so I can't really compare it to any of the recent games. But, it's fun with a group of friends, has a great online, and is the best kart racer I've played.

Edit: Another con added to the list.
    Post edited by Usagimaru on
  • Is the wheel comparable to do game cube controller? Or does it put you at a disadvantage. I cant imagine using motion controls to get as much refinement as I do out of an analog stick.
  • edited April 2008
    I just got the game. If anyone is down for some racing challenges, friend me. ^_^

Fixed:
    3222-5963-7596
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I have to say that after playing through a few cups that Mario Kart really needs a serious overhaul. Even with all these additions I feel like I'm playing the N64 one again, except with different tracks. They really need to get rid of the blue shell, I got hit with 7 during one race. 7! 5 during the second lap along! And I still won the race by 8 seconds. The blue shell really doesn't help the game at all, all it does it let whoever is in last feel like they are effecting the race by taking out first place driver.
  • -Not all tracks are unlocked at the start
    That shouldn't be a con, as that's the case in a few of the kart games. I know for sure that the GBA and GC ones didn't have everything unlocked at the start. I think the N64 and DS ones did, though...and I'm not sure about the SNES version.
    Is the wheel comparable to do game cube controller? Or does it put you at a disadvantage.
    You'll probably be at a disadvantage using the wheel until you're really, really comfortable using it. And even then, you'll probably still do better with the GC controller.

Anyways, me and my friends got it at midnight last night. We played it for a bit last night and this morning. I think we played through every track that you get at the start of the game.

My pro and cons:
    pros:
    - 12 people in one race
    - having motorcycles and karts
    - new drifting system. I love how you can still get the boost, but snaking has been essentially removed.
    - being able to do tricks (and mainly the fact that you can get a boost from them)

cons:
    - not the fact that you have to unlock stuff in general, but the fact that you're given essentially jack shit from the get-go (16/32 tracks, 12/24 playable characters? Shit....).
    - really, though, not that much different than the other versions. Fans of specific games within the Mario Kart franchise probably won't be given any reason to start playing MKW and drop their old game.

All in all, it's falling into the same territory as Smash. Great game, but probably won't be able to keep going if the new games just put out new stages/tracks and characters and do very little else.
  • I think the best control setup is the wiimote/nunchuk combo since you get the analog stick, and you can still shack the wiimote for the stunts.
  • I have to say that after playing through a few cups that Mario Kart really needs a serious overhaul. Even with all these additions I feel like I'm playing the N64 one again, except with different tracks.
    - really, though, not that much different than the other versions. Fans of specific games within the Mario Kart franchise probably won't be given any reason to start playing MKW and drop their old game.
    I guess I didn't really notice this as much because I haven't really played a Mario Kart game in 7 years.
    All in all, it's falling into the same territory as Smash. Great game, but probably won't be able to keep going if the new games just put out new stages/tracks and characters and do very little else.
    Seems to be a growing trend in Nintendo games. If the games had an online infrastructure like Xbox Live, with voice chat and universal accounts, do you think the games would not be going down this path?
  • If the games had an online infrastructure like Xbox Live, with voice chat and universal accounts, do you think the games would not be going down this path?
    Well, I think Nintendo would still only make "new" games with new and/or different characters and tracks/stages/whatever. I think players would enjoy them more if their online modes were a little more fulfilling, though.
  • That shouldn't be a con
    Any "unlockable" content in a multi-player game is a con as far as I'm concerned.
  • That shouldn't be a con
    Any "unlockable" content in a multi-player game is a con as far as I'm concerned.
    Agreed. If anything they should at least allow for some sort of tournament mode where everything is unlocked but no scores are tracked.

There is a store in Danbury CT that runs a lot of video game tournaments. If the game involves unlock-able content (Smash Bros. Brawl) the owner brings in his kid's Wii because the one in the store does not get enough play to guarantee the unlock-able stuff will be unlocked.
  • There is a store in Danbury CT that runs a lot of video game tournaments. If the game involves unlock-able content (Smash Bros. Brawl) the owner brings in his kid's Wii because the one in the store does not get enough play to guarantee the unlock-able stuff will be unlocked.
    Why wouldn't he just copy the save file onto an SD card? It's much easier than bringing the entire Wii.
  • There is a store in Danbury CT that runs a lot of video game tournaments. If the game involves unlock-able content (Smash Bros. Brawl) the owner brings in his kid's Wii because the one in the store does not get enough play to guarantee the unlock-able stuff will be unlocked.
    Why wouldn't he just copy the save file onto an SD card? It's much easier than bringing the entire Wii.
    Not all games allow for that.
  • edited April 2008
    MKW code: 2750-1305-8613

@Ro: Your code is invalid according to my Wii. Do I have to add you as a Wii Friend first or did you get the number wrong?
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • @Ro: Your code is invalid according to my Wii. Do I have to add you as a Wii Friend first or did you get the number wrong?
    I have no idea. I'll check it again when I get home today, and I'll add you as well.
  • I'll be holding off on this one. I have too much going on to devote much time to video games.
  • I had a blast playing this last night!! The Online play just made the Wii more useful for video gaming. I was able to get into it with the steering wheel. I felt like that kid who, while playing the nes, would flip the controller up while making Mario jump. My steering wheel was all over the place! No, it's not a perfected or upgraded enough with the generation, but it's a fun game to play.
  • Even though I've only played a few races, I think one thing that would have made this game better is giving the player the option to exclude all items or certain items. I haven't played online yet, so I don't know if they do that, but I think online should just be limited to a few items like green/red shells, bananas, mushrooms, bombs, and possibly stars.

Blue shells can DIAF.

I'm really liking the wheel, but I might try out the other controller types.
  • edited April 2008
    Ro- I'm pretty sure, at least in the DS game, that you couldn't drag items behind you online. Though I think that was more of a bug than a feature.

As for future games, yes, an item switcher (akin to how smash bros does it), would be godly.
    Smash bros, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, bunch of others...

Really, the games have a single player for a reason. You're not going to always have 1-3 other people to play with, nor will you just let the game sit and idle while your friend aren't around. Having a goal to reach for isn't that bad.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited April 2008
    You should check out the Wiimote + Nunchuck control scheme. I switched to it after the 150cc cup gave me grief using the wheel and never looked back. Several blogs (Engadget, Joystiq, etc) report that it is the best option (I can't comment as I don't have the GC controller).

Also, regarding the blue shell, I think it really forces you to play the "hang around at second place, collect a shroom and boost to first place at the last second"-strategy.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Also, regarding the blue shell, I think it really forces you to play the "hang around at second place, collect a shroom and boost to first place at the last second"-strategy
    I can see where it would be fun at times, but when you are seriously trying to win and hold that lead, the blue shell just fucks whatever lead you have.

If I'm way ahead in the lead and earned that lead with whatever skills I have, I shouldn't have to be constantly bombarded with blue shells or red shells that keep hitting me.

I played some actual online games yesterday and they were pretty fun. I'll have to check out the wii-mote/nun-chuck control sometime because after playing with the wheel, my right hand was starting to cramp. I was probably doing something wrong, but it didn't feel so great.
  • The bigger issue I have with the blue shell is that you get it towards the back of the pack, yet the people who benefit most are those in 2nd-3rd or 4th place (depending on how close the race is, if it's really close, the shell could even fuck over people in 2nd and 3rd).