This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The ultimate sandwich

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
German dark wheat bread with turkey and cream cheese is my boyfriends ultimate sandwich and I have tried and loved it. What is your ultimate sandwich?!

Comments

• WIth a sandwhich it's more important how high quality the ingredients are, and not so much what ingredients you choose. If you have awesome fresh bread made from scratch, it doesn't really matter what type it is.
  • Monte Cristo. Period.
  • Monte Cristo.
    If you mean a real Monte Cristo, which is served open, covered with maple syrup, with ham, turkey, and swiss cheese over French toast, then yes. Otherwise, you speak of one of those inferior "Monte Cristos."
  • I don't like dark bread (especially German) at all. White bread all the way!
  • Monte Cristo.
    If you mean a real Monte Cristo, which is served open, covered with maple syrup, with ham, turkey, and swiss cheese over French toast, then yes. Otherwise, you speak of one of those inferior "Monte Cristos."
    Inferior Monte Cristos are still pretty damn good, though.
  • Since I was a little girl, my ultimate sandwich has been peanut butter and cream cheese (bread doesn't matter so much, but I like either plain whole wheat, or really thick, fluffy breads like Texas Toast). Not totally outrageous or awesome, but I still stands that I have yet to find anyone else who likes that combination.
  • A real Monte Cristo, deep fried, and topped with powdered sugar.

Screw heart attacks - it's just too good!
  • A sandwich thread already exists.
  • I like making Pickles, I like making bread, I like making grilled corned Beef... add some dijon perhaps some reduced sauce.
  • Asandwich threadalready exists.
    Ah, but there is a difference between a discussion about sandwiches overall, and a discussion on what sandwiches are the best. Granted, the two discussions could be merged...
  • If I was to make my own, then teriyaki chicken (the -real- brown sauce!) with ranch, a little bit of lettuce (one leaf) and tomatoes, on Texas toast that's been toasted. So good!

Otherwise, I like Quiznoes Chicken carbonara (with mushrooms) & Subway's Meatball Marinara with ranch and tomato. It's a toss up.
  • WIth a sandwhich it's more important how high quality the ingredients are, and not so much what ingredients you choose. If you have awesome fresh bread made from scratch, it doesn't really matter what type it is.
    Both matter. There are some sandwich combinations that don't work, and some that seem to work very optimally.

My all-time favorite is hot corned beef and hot pastrami, on fresh crusty rye bread, with a very grainy deli mustard. Wondefully sublime.

I'm actually a fan of some amount of fruit in my sandwiches, quite often. Just yesterday, I made chicken salad using dried apricots and cranberries. Good shit.
  • Being a vegetarian, my selection of delicious sandwiches are rather limited, but I've found I love grilled vegetables topped with melted mozzarella over some delicious toasted fresh bread.
  • Being a vegetarian, my selection of delicious sandwiches are rather limited, but I've found I love grilled vegetables topped with melted mozzarella over some delicious toasted fresh bread.
    Get a panini with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers, and some pesto. Maybe some thinly sliced red onion while you're at it. Good times.
    Get a panini with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers, and some pesto. Maybe some thinly sliced red onion while you're at it. Good times.
    Ahh! I had one of those when I was down in Florida. Delicious! X3
    Agreed. If the bread is fresh from the oven, the meat fresh-sliced and well-cured, the cheese fresh from the wheel, the veggies fresh from the ground and/or pickling barrel, and the condiments made without shortcuts, I'll probably enjoy whatever sandwich they combine to make.
  • Actually, if it's made right, a Cuban is near the top of my list.

Pickles have their place in a proper sandwich.
  • Pickles have their place in a proper sandwich.
    Pickles are cucumbers dipped in evil. (10 points for correctly guessing the reference first time)
    Pickles are cucumbers dipped in evil.(10 points for correctly guessing the reference first time)
    Lies! Pickles are made with the juice of the gods!
    Pickles are cucumbers dipped in evil.(10 points for correctly guessing the reference first time)
    Then I love being a demon.
    Aye, hence why I don't have the shirt.
  • Fresh artisan wheat and/or multi-grain wheat bread.
    Fresh mozzarella (not melted), basil and tomato.
    Extra-virgin olive oil, fresh black pepper, and a small bit of minced garlic (if you like).

That is an awesome sandwich.

I also like brie on warm baguette with honey, grapes, and turkey (turkey is potional on this one).
  • edited April 2008
    Well...

Here is a contender.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Has anyone ever succeeded in making the legendary and mythical "Dagwood Sandwich"? It will probably never happen but if it did, I would eat that thing to the best of my ability
  • Has anyone ever succeeded in making the legendary and mythical "Dagwood Sandwich"? It will probably never happen but if it did, I would eat that thing to the best of my ability
    I want to try now. I would have to share though.
  • edited April 2008
    Well...

Here is a contender.
    How can that be the world's greatest sandwich? He made a Bacon, Egg and Cheese Sandwich and put it on regular bread. Now,if you slap that on a bagel thats so freshly made it's still warm, particularly pumpernickel, and then it might be in the running!

My idea sandwich is Tuna Salad topped with tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, onions and asiago cheese, open faced on a lightly toasted (surprise surprise) pumpernickel bagel. The ideal way to do this is to melt the cheese onto the bagel when you toast it. You never want to melt the cheese on top of the tuna salad because it warms the tuna salad which I find gross.
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • It's hard to think of the ultimate sandwich. The only sandwiches that are on the top of my list is Bánh mì aka Vietnamese sandwiches. Those are so tasty delicious. I love dipping them in soup. Mmm. I think I'll have some tonight. ^_^
  • I'll tell you what, Panera Bread Company's Asiago Roast Beef sandwich is sublime.
  • When I was a kid I invented the hot sauce sandwich. It was bread, potato slices, and tons of hot sauce.

Also, when I used to be able to get away with getting the kids meal at Subway, I would order white bread with pepperoni, mustard, onions, and cheese.