This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The WoW CCG

2»

Comments

• Choices, yes, but Rym's point was more that once the game starts, there's really only a few viable strategies per deck, and even less when you consider your opponent's deck. The choices are more superficial than anything when compared to the construction of the deck, because of the limited strategic variation allowed by any given deck.
    I realize that, but he's saying it's basically just automated, which it's not at all. Besides, what's wrong with choices when building a deck? Maybe he just makes crappy decks...
    Or it may just be that when any new set comes out one strategy dominates the tournament scene. Which ruins the game because where you should have variety you don't.
  • Choices, yes, but Rym's point was more that once the game starts, there's really only a few viable strategies per deck, and even less when you consider your opponent's deck. The choices are more superficial than anything when compared to the construction of the deck, because of the limited strategic variation allowed by any given deck.
    I realize that, but he's saying it's basically just automated, which it's not at all. Besides, what's wrong with choices when building a deck? Maybe he just makes crappy decks...
    The point is that the choices don't matter, as Rym said, because there are basically one or two set paths you can take with any given deck, regardless of the small choices made during play, and therefore deck construction is more important. Rym's stated issue with that is money can beat out strategy because often the "best" decks contain the most expensive cards, limiting your wins to your money, in essence.

By the way, if I am completely misinterpreting your argument, Rym, feel free to disregard this completely and call me out in a Wild West style pistols-at-dawn challenge.
  • The point is that the choices don't matter, as Rym said, because there are basically one or two set paths you can take with any given deck, regardless of the small choices made during play, and therefore deck construction is more important. Rym's stated issue with that is money can beat out strategy because often the "best" decks contain the most expensive cards, limiting your wins to your money, in essence.
    If you only have 1 or 2 outs, that's an awful deck. What I'm saying it that the variety in cards now allow for multiple win conditions per deck in many cases. Sure some good decks cost a lot of money, but certainly not all of them do, and limited is good for reducing how much that matters. In fact, often times new decks take tournaments by storm, finding clever interactions to make for powerful decks. Like I said, there absolutely nothing forcing you to play in these kinds of environments. You can have as much fun or even more fun playing an oddball deck in casual multiplayer, or by playing highlander (where you have 100 card decks where every card outside of basic lands must be different).
  • edited April 2008
    If you only have 1 or 2 outs, that's an awful deck. What I'm saying it that the variety in cards now allow for multiple win conditions per deck in many cases. Sure some good decks cost a lot of money, but certainly not all of them do, and limited is good for reducing how much that matters. In fact, often times new decks take tournaments by storm, finding clever interactions to make for powerful decks. Like I said, there absolutelynothing forcing you to play in these kinds of environments.You can have as much fun or even more fun playing an oddball deck in casual multiplayer, or by playing highlander (where you have 100 card decks where every card outside of basic lands must be different).
    Even in a nonstandard game, though, once the deck is set and the game starts, there are maybe four or five viable strategies to take against your particular opponent's deck regardless of how many win strategies you have. Thus, luck and deck construction are more important than the actual strategy, and because one must pay for the cards they want and generally buying single cards or booster packs costs a lot when compared to the life span of the cards, in the long run, money wins out over strategy, even if you are playing a losing oddball deck. This is, of course, assuming you play by the rules. Basically, the strategy is in the deck construction, and money can substitute for skill pretty damn well during deck construction.
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on