This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Teenager Repellant

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
We love this device! Carole just bought one, although it was pretty expensive at around $1200.00.

What do you think?

Comments

• Old News. The kids in my high school used the same frequency a few years back as their ringers on their phones so they could text message in class without the teachers knowing.
  • That's as much as a car! And what about the animals, doesn't it drive them nuts too?
  • Old News.
    The sound itself may be old news, granted. The actual device is pretty new.
    That's as much as a car! And what about the animals, doesn't it drive them nuts too?
    We hope not. We like animals.
  • Old News. The kids in my high school used the same frequency a few years back as their ringers on their phones so they could text message in class without the teachers knowing.
    Wasn't this talked about in the show only in England instead?
  • Wasn't this a ToTD?
  • Wasn't this talked about in the show only in England instead?
    Yeap.

I'll note that these things are also a Rym-repellent. I can hear our stupid TV's electronic whine from my bedroom upstairs...
    Wasn't this talked about in the show only in England instead?
    Sorry if it was on the show or if it was a ToTd. I haven't been able to listen lately.

We bought ours online from a company in Canada.
  • Why did you buy it? What possible use would you have for it?
  • You actually bought it? I'd use that cash for something fun.
  • This was indeed a TotD a long time ago. Where shop keepers in the UK used it to shooo away lingering teenagers. The actual TotD part was that these kids had recorded the noise and started using it as ringtones.

As for animals, don't most have better hearing than humans? Even if animals don't find the frequency annoying, hearing it for a long time is annoying anyway.
  • edited April 2008
    Why did you buy it? What possible use would you have for it?
    Carole is going back to our house in Louisville, KY for the KY Derby next week. I'm not so fond of Deby Week, so I'm staying here. The neaighborhood where we live in Louisville is filled with punk kids. They play basketball in the street right in front of our house and make noise until all hours of the night. Carole is going to set up the device in the hopes of keeping them away.
    This was indeed a TotD a long time ago.
    Once again, sorry, I haven't listened to the show or read the ToTD for awhile.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Wow, you guys are evil. You need to move into one of those 55+ communities. ASAP.
  • I'm a teenager, and the idea of the device doesn't really offend me, though the sound might.

That price is rather expensive though.
  • What, the rocking chair and shotgun on the front porch wasn't enough?
  • Joe has no Joie de vivre.
  • Joe is starting a neighborhood arms race. The kids are loud so they are buying a loud speaker to play a specific frequency. I think we should all pitch in to give the kids drums and guitars and teach them metal. Garage Metal FTW
  • edited April 2008
    Joe is starting a neighborhood arms race. The kids are loud so they are buying a loud speaker to play a specific frequency. I think we should all pitch in to give the kids drums and guitars and teach them metal. Garage Metal FTW
    The kids in my neighborhood are too stupid to play instruments. I'll report back whether it works as well as they say it does.
  • Joe is starting a neighborhood arms race. The kids are loud so they are buying a loud speaker to play a specific frequency. I think we should all pitch in to give the kids drums and guitars and teach them metal. Garage Metal FTW
    The kids in my neighborhood are too stupid to play instruments. I'll report back whether it works as well as they say it does.
    They could start a hardcore band; no intelligence is required there.
  • If playing loud music from a car in the street is a nuisance under the law (it is where I live), then wouldn't broadcasting a noise into the street with the intention of annoying people be a nuisance as well? Nevermind the fact that they are teenagers -- if you're actively generating a noise with malicious intent into the public right-of-way, you should be charged with noise pollution.
  • edited April 2008
    If playing loud music from a car in the street is a nuisance under the law (it is where I live), then wouldn't broadcasting a noise into the street with the intention of annoying people be a nuisance as well? Nevermind the fact that they are teenagers -- if you're actively generating a noise with malicious intent into the public right-of-way, you should be charged with noise pollution.
    1. If it works right, the only ones who hear it will be the punk kids. Dumb punk kids at that. They're extrememly unlikely to even realize what is making the sound. Even if they did, they're extremely unlikely to call the cops, and they can't file a warrant.

2. Even if there was some legal action, we're both lawyers. We live in court and 95% of the people we know are also lawyers!
  • edited April 2008
    So according to you, Joe:

1) It's okay to break the law as long as the only person it hurts is a unrepresented protected class

and

2) It's okay to break the law if you think you can use the legal system to get away with it.

See the violence inherent in the system?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • If playing loud music from a car in the street is a nuisance under the law (it is where I live), then wouldn't broadcasting a noise into the street with the intention of annoying people be a nuisance as well? Nevermind the fact that they are teenagers -- if you're actively generating a noise with malicious intent into the public right-of-way, you should be charged with noise pollution.
    1. I'm an asshole.

2. I'm an asshole.
  • edited April 2008
    If it works right, the only ones who hear it will be the punk kids. Dumb punk kids at that. They're extrememly unlikely to even realize what is making the sound. Even if they did, they're extremely unlikely to call the cops, and they can't file a warrant.
    Replace instances of the word "kids" with the word "blacks" and tell me you still think it's justifiable.
    If it works right, the only ones who hear it will be the punk blacks. Dumb punk blacks at that. They're extrememly unlikely to even realize what is making the sound. Even if they did, they're extremely unlikely to call the cops, and they can't file a warrant.
    I think you're a bigot, Joe.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • So according to you, Joe:

1) It's okay to break the law as long as the only person it hurts is a unrepresented protected class

and

2) It okay to break the law if you think you can use the legal system to get away with it.
    What do you think lawyers are trained to do?
  • Uphold the Constitution, defend the accused, and protect justice. If you think it's your job to wrap up bigotry in an American flag, then 1,000 of you at the bottom of the ocean isn't a good enough start.
  • We need old people repellant.
  • We are old people repellant.
  • edited April 2008
    Uphold the Constitution, defend the accused, and protect justice.
    Y'know, we get bitched at a lot when we try to do those things, and we found that people pay pretty good just to avoid being hailed into court, so we started do that a lot instead.
    Replace instances of the word "kids" with the word "blacks" and tell me you still think it's justifiable.
    So, race = age. That's a fair statement, isn't it? Ummmm, no.
    I think you're a bigot, Joe.
    I like how you can be Pollyanna-ishly optimistic about everything in the world except for me. You're all: "Let's say something nice about GWB!", and then you look at me and say, "You're a bigot." Nice.
    We need old people repellant.
    It's called youth.
  • I'm optimistic that you can stop being a bigot -- if you agree to turn off the machine and stop using noise to oppress a specific class of people using public infrastructure.