This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Teenager Repellant

1235»

Comments

• Have you considered connecting it to a motion sensor?
    I have to give you credit. That is a very good idea. If I were more DIY inclined, I would seriously consider it. The problem is that I'm more lay-on-the-couch-smoking-a-pipe-reading-Marx inclined, so I doubt that I could actually make it work.
  • Marx? Isn't he a little new-age for you? Might I suggest some Plato?

(I've never experienced this "teenager repellent" myself, so that's the most relevant comment I could make.)
  • On this subject, I think that you have the right to life, liberty, and property. The teenagers should respect your wishes and find somewhere else to go to play and hang out, but I find that the Mosquito is a bit overkill.
  • Any updates? Did that machine-thingy work?
  • Any updates? Did that machine-thingy work?
    We just received it in the mail yesterday. We haven't turned it on yet.
  • Am I the only one who is going to laugh tremendously if HungryJoe or is wife can hear it?
  • edited April 2008
    Am I the only one who is going to laugh tremendously if HungryJoe or is wife can hear it?
    The arrow of irony can be quite painful. If this were to occur, the only thing I would be able to say would be shadenfreude.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Am I the only one who is going to laugh tremendously if HungryJoe or is wife can hear it?
    No you are not! XD
    The arrow of irony can be quite painful. If this were to occur, the only thing I would be able to say would be shadenfreude.
    See, this is what I don't understand so much. I never said that we're going to use this to scare away all teenagers from our house. There is, however, a very specific group of teenagers that give us trouble. I don't mean trouble of the "Oh, I'm a cool teenager and you're just too old and uncool to understand me, dude" variety. I mean trouble of the "I'm a serious delinquent and I'd love nothing better than to break into your house and kill you in your sleep" variety. We would be very happy for them to go.
  • See, this is what you get on internet forums. Not everybody listens to everything you say. they only get part of the message and react to that.

If these kids are really as bad as you say, then I think you need the help of your neighbors. you ALL get one of these devices.
  • edited April 2008
    Oh I understand the reasoning behind your choice, I'm just saying it would be really funny if it backfired on you.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • If having it outside will prevent the dogs from hearing it, then Joe and his wife won't hear it from inside either. If they do, then the dogs can hear it inside too. The question is whether it's directional or not, and whether it will penetrate the house. There's no way for it to backfire on them without torturing the dogs as well.
  • Carole reports that she cannot hear the machine when it is on. A group of friends came to the house for Derby. None of the people ovver 25 could hear it, although one person said he could hear a faint clicking. One 25 year old person said he could hear it, but it didn't bother him. One 23 year old said it was excruciating. The dogs didn't seem to hear it at all.

Carole didn't get a chance to test it on the people we actually want to target because the weather was rainy and cold one night and they didn't come out. They didn't come out the next night either. Maybe they've moved their base of operations.
  • edited May 2008
    I hate to change subjects like this, but, what is this device's effect on autistic individuals? I've met a few middle age autistics who can hear ungodly wide frequency ranges and it drives them nuts. If it does have a negative impact on these individuals, wouldn't that be like a device that puts sticks in the spokes of wheelchairs?
    Post edited by Pseudocidal on
  • [W]hat is this device's effect on autistic individuals?
    I don't know, but the chances that an autistic individual would be close enough to our device so that s/he could hear it is so vanishingly small, it's negligible.