This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

3G iPhone

edited April 2008 in Technology
If this is real, it might break the camel's back. I wasn't planning on buying a new phone until my contract runs out next January, but... If it does have a real GPS, and the price is the same as the current iPhones, that's too crazy good.

Comments

• I could never see myself forking out the money for this. Although, I do believe you'll probably find it worth while if it removes the number of devices you have on your person, as far as I know that is a big deal for you. I just can't get by the price or contract, is it still an expensive two year contract?
  • But, doesn't at&t still have a lock on iPhones? Unless they switch to 3G can Apple legally sell the phone in the US?

I imagine some tech lawyer type will try to find out if the at&t/Apple contract specifically mentions CDMA iPhone.
  • Does AT&T not offer a 3G service then? One has to imagine they only had the rights for the first generation of iPhone if that's the case, if not then Apple are basically telling everyone to jail break their iPhones.
  • But, doesn't at&t; still have a lock on iPhones? Unless they switch to 3G can Apple legally sell the phone in the US?

I imagine some tech lawyer type will try to find out if the at&t;/Apple contract specifically mentions CDMA iPhone.
    AT&T; has a 3G network. The iPhone just doesn't use it. Really, I think I'm still going to wait until January. Verizon's "any device, any app" and Android demand that I wait it out.
  • But, doesn't at&t; still have a lock on iPhones? Unless they switch to 3G can Apple legally sell the phone in the US?

I imagine some tech lawyer type will try to find out if the at&t;/Apple contract specifically mentions CDMA iPhone.
    AT&T; has a 3G network. The iPhone just doesn't use it. Really, I think I'm still going to wait until January. Verizon's "any device, any app" and Android demand that I wait it out.
    I did not know that. Even though I work for at&t; I use Sprint for my cell due to coverage problems where I live.
  • I did not know that. Even though I work for at&t; I use Sprint for my cell due to coverage problems where I live.
    AT&T; and T-Mobile use GSM/GPRS/EDGE/HSDPA Sprint and Verizon use CDMA/1x/EV-DO.

However, for 4G, pretty much every carrier is agreeing on using LTE. Sometime within the next decade you will be able to get an unlocked LTE phone and use it with any carrier.
  • I work on the land side of the company. What the wireless folks do is out of my realm. I only have a cellphone because my wife got it for me.
  • I have no idea if the picture is real, but there is going to be a 3G iphone. Steve Jobs has said so, and the president of AT&T has said so. They Haven't given the official word on GPS or price, but both are pretty safe assumptions. GPS is the second biggest feature missing from the iphone, and apple has historically kept the prices stable through device iterations.
  • This is the iPhone we'll be getting in Australia, I'd bet - We're sort of the reverse of the US as far as I know, We're overwhelmingly 3G, with maybe one carrier offering an EDGE service, and also a CDMA network - Which is sort of needed if you want to get reception in the middle of dingo-fuck nowhere without getting a sat-phone.
  • Figure best to resurrect this thread than creating a new one.

So now that the iPhone is out, and people finally are able to get them activated, what are people's thoughts? I haven't been able to get one yet due to not being "eligible" for a new phone from ATT. Strongly debating canceling and then signing up as a new customer to get the discount. About half the IT team I work with has gotten them (or already had them from before). But for the rest of you:

1) How was the experience getting it?
    2) How is the new phone?
    3) Other thoughts and favorite apps?
  • I'll tell you all about the phone on the next Monday show we do.

In the meantime, is there anybody out there with Garage Band verison 4.1.1? I need someone to turn an mp3 into a ringtone. Our Mac mini can't do it. Needs the newer OSX.
  • I'll tell you all about the phone on the next Monday show we do.

In the meantime, is there anybody out there with Garage Band verison 4.1.1? I need someone to turn an mp3 into a ringtone. Our Mac mini can't do it. Needs the newer OSX.
    Ambrosia Software has a shareware utility that can do that. It is $15 and only works in OS X Tiger and above, but it definitely works.
  • It is $15 and only works in OS X Tiger and above, but it definitely works.
    Having to pay anything at all to make a ringtone is ludicrous.
  • Speaking of iPhones, I'm looking to buy a used iPhone (model 1, Edge-based) from someone who is upgrading to the 3G model, so I might as well leave this offer open to everyone here as well.
  • I'm not paying money, and not doing any hacks. It must be legit and free.
  • Scott, you put up request on twitter to help make ring tones? Well, I'm hear to help. Just contact me in the whispered comment to followed.
  • Why o why won't it use the plain old mp3 as the ring tone, even old shitty phones have the ability to do so, I mean, the thing plays mp3's and movies right? are you sure you can't just use the mp3?
  • Why o why won't it use the plain old mp3 as the ring tone, even old shitty phones have the ability to do so, I mean, the thing plays mp3's and movies right? are you sure you can't just use the mp3?
    Yes, I'm sure. You can only use m4rs as ring tones. Morio Kun took care of it. It works perfectly, super awesome.
  • Out of curiosity, what is the ringtone?
    That song from Tribes 2 that was linked to on that site.
  • edited July 2008
    Who uses ringtones?
    Currently, I don't even know how to get custom ringtones on my phone. Even if I did, I wouldn't use them. The times I can hear a ringtone (work, home, and school) make the ringtone obnoxious (at home) and would likely get me in trouble (at school and work)...and most other times, odds are I won't be able to hear it very well, especially when it's sitting in my pocket.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Who uses ringtones?
    I think you're going to be in the minority on this one.
  • lol. I wonder how long this will be allowed to last.
  • Who uses ringtones?
    Currently, I don't even know how to get custom ringtones on my phone. Even if I did, I wouldn't use them. The times I can hear a ringtone (work, home, and school) make the ringtone obnoxious (at home) and would likely get me in trouble (at school and work)...and most other times, odds are I won't be able to hear it very well, especially when it's sitting in my pocket.
    Agreed. I hate my ringtones, and so I keep on Silent All or Vibrate all the time. That, and I like the sound of a vibrating phone. :P
    That song from Tribes 2 that was linked to on that site.
    You mean on that Darksyndicate forum? You also know that that mp3, amongst others is in your Tribes 2 Game Data folder?
  • You mean on that Darksyndicate forum? You also know that that mp3, amongst others is in your Tribes 2 Game Data folder?
    Yeah, but if I have to give them to someone else, it's much easier to send them a link to a file that's already up on someone else's server than to transfer a file from my computer to theirs. Also, aren't all the Tribes songs in ogg format?
  • Also, aren't all the Tribes songs in ogg format?
    Not in Tribes 2 here, plain mp3's. They're in GameData\base\music.
  • Not in Tribes 2 here, plain mp3's. They're in GameData\base\music.
    Hmm. Now I'm trying to remember which game it was that used oggs.
  • edited July 2008
    I didn't know OGG existed back then..
    Post edited by Omnutia on