This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

3G iPhone

2»

Comments

• Cloud FTW. How old is it?
  • I went on Friday to play with one. It took me 5 hours to wait in line. I was at least behind 75 to 100 or less people. It was a long process. But I got mad props from the store employees, I was sure to introduce myself so that when my application goes through I hope they recognize me.
  • Yeah, the Apple Store employees were really nice, handing out waters and chatting with the line. Coincidentally, the person in front of me (whose group I became part of for that day) has the same birthday as me.
  • It sucks that I lisnted to the line waiting episode on the following sunday. Oh, well, I struck up conversation with some cute chicks and some dude who just switched to a Mac. When my freind asked me later that night how it went in line, I was all like "I haz phone numbers, LOL!." Just kidding.
  • Sentry turrets are really cool. In my school uC lab I made one that listened for when a ping-pong ball would hit a table, and by calculating the difference in time the sound would take to hit different microphones rotate a turret and launch a rubber band at it. Great fun.
  • Well.. I'm ready to get an iPhone 3G next week when my Sprint contract comes out. There have been a lot of horror stories on other forums such as MacRumors and in the news about dropped calls and crashing apps. I know Scott got one (from hearing the show). Do you still have it? Or have you returned it before the 30 days were up?

I tried an HTC Mogul from Sprint, but hated the Windows Mobile aspect. It crashed many times as well.

Are there no good smart phones out there yet? I suppose I'll know more next week when I actually get the thing.

Scott, maybe you guys could do another show about the iPhone 3G and your experiences with it the past two months..
  • I still have the iPhone 3g, and it still works as expected. Some apps crash sometimes, but it's not the end of the world. Coverage sucks at my house, but that's because coverage sucks at my house. It's not the phone's fault. Everywhere else the coverage is awesome. The only real problems with the phone are problems I knew about before buying it. The phone isn't perfect by any means, but what phone is perfect? They're all imperfect in different ways.

I wouldn't make a decision based on my experience, though. For some reason, I tend to not have technical problems that other people have. Everything just works for me. I think people just mistreat their electronics.
  • That's what I figure.. but when I hear news that there could be a hardware problem.. Of course, if there is Apple will roll out revB on the 31st day of my trial period before I am locked it.
    I have two friends with the original iPhone and do not have any problems. I'm sure it'll be fine. AT&T has good coverage here in Rochester (MN that is.. ;) )
  • Mine is working fine too. The whole 3g debacle that some people as having I haven't really put to the test thoroughly as I use wireless most of the time. The only annoying problems have been with my service provider doing some shady things but as yet they haven't tricked me into blowing my data usage quota. Beyond that the battery life is less than one would desire but not any different to what I would expect considering just how heavily I use the device. I needed an mp3 player and a phone and this has filled that role perfectly but moreso with movies and apps. I am sure in another 6 months I will want the next new product, the curse of loving gadgets, but at present I am still very much enjoying it.
  • To the members of the forum that are purchasing/have purchased the iPhone:

A Plan or Pay-As-You-Go?

I was thinking of getting the iPhone but in New Zealand the ability to pay-as-you-go is unavailable. It seems like a brilliant phone but I honestly think $40NZD a month for 100 text messages and 20 minutes is not worth it.
    I do the whole pay-as-you-go thing on my current phone which costs me about $10-20NZD a month.
  • edited August 2008
    In certain areas of boston I have real problems using it's Safari function. it says I have 3g, I have full bars, yet I get no internet. It's very odd. I assume thats becuase im near the apple store, and uhh there are so many people using them there? I have no idea.

[Oops]
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • In certain areas of boston I have real problems using it's Opera function. it says I have 3g, I have full bars, yet I get no internet. It's very odd. I assume thats becuase im near the apple store, and uhh there are so many people using them there? I have no idea.
    You mean Safari, not Opera, right? Or are you using a Blackberry?
  • edited August 2008
    The best way to fix some of the app crashing is to download the apps from the iTunes store on a LAN connection. Most people have said that it helps alot with the phone.
    To the members of the forum that are purchasing/have purchased the iPhone:

A Plan or Pay-As-You-Go?

I was thinking of getting the iPhone but in New Zealand the ability to pay-as-you-go is unavailable. It seems like a brilliant phone but I honestly think $40NZD a month for 100 text messages and 20 minutes is not worth it.
    I do the whole pay-as-you-go thing on my current phone which costs me about $10-20NZD a month.
    I wish there was a Pay-as-you-go, I'm so broke, I can't afford the phone plan. I wish I could get a data only plan.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Well.. I've had my iPhone 3G for three days now with no connection problems. However, I am dumbfounded at the following things that the iPhone lacks
    1. File browser? Why can't I save that pdf I downloaded!!!
    2. Flash.. many sites use this..
    3. Media player (MPlayer plugin for quicktime). If I go to CNN.com or a streaming radio site, it won't work.
    Battery life is as I expected. I plug it in every night. I think its a keeper :)

• File browser? Why can't I save that pdf I downloaded!!!
    Flash.. many sites use this..
    Media player (MPlayer plugin for quicktime). If I go to CNN.com or a streaming radio site, it won't work.
    Why are you dumbfounded? It was widely available public knowledge that the phone could not do these things. Research products before you buy them.
  • Well.. I've had my iPhone 3G for three days now with no connection problems. However, I am dumbfounded at the following things that the iPhone lacks
    1. File browser? Why can't I save that pdf I downloaded!!!
    2. Flash.. many sites use this..
    3. Media player (MPlayer plugin for quicktime). If I go to CNN.com or a streaming radio site, it won't work.
    Battery life is as I expected. I plug it in every night. I think its a keeper :)
    "Why can't I save that pdf I downloaded" ----> Stanza is a program you can supposedly use if you want to read PDF's on your iphone. You transfer them off of your PC and can read them.

• File browser? Why can't I save that pdf I downloaded!!!
    Flash.. many sites use this..
    Media player (MPlayer plugin for quicktime). If I go to CNN.com or a streaming radio site, it won't work.
    Why are you dumbfounded? It was widely available public knowledge that the phone could not do these things. Research products before you buy them.
    Yeah.. I probably should have read up more on it.. But these should be basic functions (hence, the dumbfoundedness) I was aware of the Flash issue, but I assumed that I could save a file. I just seems like a pretty basic thing to do. A Winmobile Device can do it, why wouldn't Apple implement it? Why have the ability to get a document via email, but not have a place to save it other than the email folder?

That said, even though the HTC Mogul could save and read a pdf (and search a pdf unlike the iPhone), reading a pdf on a Winmobile device is Hell and damn near impossible as it was sluggish beyond belief. Reading a 3MB pdf on the iPhone was pleasant.

I doubt I'll be returning it. Besides, what other option is there?
  • The iPhone's file system is not accessible directly by the user.