This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I don't care if they are religous fanatics, they have great food

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
I just recently got back from a weekend getaway to Lancaster, PA. Since we live in NJ, we try to make the trip once or twice a year, its practically a tradition now. Basically its just a few days of outlet shopping, mini golf, local color, relaxation, and fantastic food.

That last part got me thinking. I know a lot of people around here are firm in their belief that they do not respect those that are religious. Would that belief keep you from eating in restaurant that is run by religious people? By which I mean the waitresses are dressed in Mennonite garb, there's religious sayings written on plaques hung on the wall, they sell books about Amish cultures at the counter, and so on.

I'm fairly easy going about the whole religious topic anyway, as long as people treat me nicely and with respect, I'm more then happy to do the same, no matter what they believe in. As long they don't try to force it on me, that is. So eating at a place like I mentioned doesn't bother me at all. However, it did make me wonder, would you skip over a place like the one I described because of your own beliefs, or would you have no problems eating at such a location?

Comments

• I have no problem eating yummy amish foods. I would also have no problem making amish jokes, if I felt like it.
  • I would also have no problem making amish jokes, if I felt like it.
    Mmm... low hanging fruit.
  • As longs as they aren't preaching a sermon, or asking me to say a prayer, who cares what cookey thing they believe.
  • I feel the same way about kosher food. Yeah, it's based on a bunch of religious mumbo jumbo, but dammit, I like me some kosher pastrami.
  • In a Buca di Beppo (Italian food) near me, there is a room called the pope room (dunno if all Buca's have it or not...). It's too religious for my tastes. No, it won't prevent me from eating there, but it does annoy me.
  • In a Buca di Beppo (Italian food) near me, there is a room called the pope room (dunno if all Buca's have it or not...). It's too religious for my tastes. No, it won't prevent me from eating there, but it does annoy me.
    The pope room is more of a cultural display in that context. In fact, everything about Buca di Beppo screams, "Italian!"
  • Here's a question thats loosely related to my original one. Well, at least it has to do with Amish food. Has anyone here ever had shoo-fly pie, and if so, do you like it? Personally, I find it too sweet.

I ask because its huge in Lancaster. It seems like every place sells it and everyone claims that theirs is the best around.
  • I like me some kosher pastrami.
    How is kosher pastrami better than regular pastrami?
  • I like me some kosher pastrami.
    How is kosher pastrami better than regular pastrami?
    I've had some pastrami that was specifically labeled as "kosher" before, and it was really damn good. Granted, you can get other pastramis that aren't necessarily kosher that are just as good; it's just that the specifically kosher stuff tends to always be good.

Generally, most kosher foods tend to just be of a higher quality, because people pay more attention to the manufacturing process; they have to.
  • I'll eat anywhere if it has good food. Amish, kosher, popelicious or satanic.
  • For me, it honestly probably depends on the religion.

There's this great pan-Asian vegetarian restaurant that we go to all the time, and they're all about Supreme Master Ching Hai. They even got my girlfriend to take a book one time, which of course knew she would never read. It's crazy, but so crazy that it's probably fairly harmless. On the other hand, I can't imagine that I'd eat at a restaurant that promoted fundamentalist Christianity.
  • I like food and as long as they bring me it, I'll put up with a lot.

I have to say though, the Amish make wonderful croissants. :3 They sell them at Christmas and Easter around here and we always have to get like, 4 bags of 6 for the two of us and they can be pretty damned big.
  • Amish food is bland. That is all.
  • My favorite Amish food is whoopie pie.
  • My grandmother was big on Scrapple. If you're not from that southern PA corridor, scrapple is basically what's left over after pigs are carved up into ham, bacon and other wonderful meat products. It's compressed into a square and usually fried up. It is one of the most vile things I could imagine, but the crazy woman would slap some on the griddle every Sunday.
  • My grandmother was big on Scrapple. If you're not from that southern PA corridor, scrapple is basically what's left over after pigs are carved up into ham, bacon and other wonderful meat products. It's compressed into a square and usually fried up. It is one of the most vile things I could imagine, but the crazy woman would slap some on the griddle every Sunday.
    I'm going to admit, I kinda like scrapple.
  • I'm going to admit, I kinda like scrapple.
    As do I.
  • I honestly don't give a damn about the art or whatever that's on the wall. As long as the food is good and the atmosphere is friendly, I typically wont care. However, here in southern California, scrapple is referred to as 'crapple'
  • I'm going to admit, I kinda like scrapple.
    As do I.
    I'll eat it if it's the only thing there but not if I have a choice.
  • edited May 2008
    My favorite Amish food iswhoopie pie.
    Whoopie pies are fantastic. I made sure i came back with a half dozen pumpkin ones. So unhealthy, but so wonderful.

As for scrapple, no thanks, I've tried it, I just didn't care for it. I did really enjoy the baked oatmeal I had while there though. I even found a recipe online so I can try to make it here.
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • I think I would draw the line with true cults or religious hate groups... but if the Amish want to sell me a pie, and I happen to want a pie... hooray for Amish pie, you know? ^_^
  • I've had some pastrami that was specifically labeled as "kosher" before, and it was really damn good. Granted, you can get other pastramis that aren't necessarily kosher that are just as good; it's just that the specifically kosher stuff tends to always be good.

Generally, most kosher foods tend to just be of a higher quality, because people pay more attention to the manufacturing process; they have to.
    The only problem I have with kosher meats is that it doesn't seem very humane. During non-kosher slaughter the animals are always killed instantly without pain. However with kosher food the throats of the animals are cut and they bleed to death which can be a very painful and drawn out process.
  • The only problem I have with kosher meats is that it doesn't seem very humane. During non-kosher slaughter the animals are always killed instantly without pain. However with kosher food the throats of the animals are cut and they bleed to death which can be a very painful and drawn out process.
    I don't know if my information is correct, but isn't this the opposite? If I recall correctly an animal is not kosher if it suffers. They kill chickens by near-instant decapitation with special knives under rabbinical supervision. I think they have some rule like, if the chicken squawks, then it wasn't a kosher kill. I'm also pretty sure that in non-kosher slaugherhouses they just hit the animals on the head with a hammer, or whatever is most efficient. I've always been under the impression that at least the killing portion of kosher meat production was more humane. Anyone want to do some research?
  • According to wikipedia, Andrew seems to have the right of it.

A professional slaughterer, or shochet (שוחט), using a large razor-sharp knife with absolutely no irregularities, nicks or dents, and checked carefully between killing each animal, makes a single cut across the throat to a precise depth, severing both carotid arteries, both jugular veins, both vagus nerves, the trachea and the esophagus, no higher than the epiglottis and no lower than where cilia begin inside the trachea, causing the animal to bleed to death.
  • I don't know if my information is correct, but isn't this the opposite? If I recall correctly an animal is not kosher if it suffers. They kill chickens by near-instant decapitation with special knives under rabbinical supervision. I think they have some rule like, if the chicken squawks, then it wasn't a kosher kill. I'm also pretty sure that in non-kosher slaugherhouses they just hit the animals on the head with a hammer, or whatever is most efficient. I've always been under the impression that at least the killing portion of kosher meat production was more humane. Anyone want to do some research?
    According to the Humane Slaughter Act, all animals must be unconscious before they are killed which is usually by exsanguination via cuts to the arteries. However, according to Kosher rules the animal must be conscious before slaughter thus it experiences all the pain associated with the bleeding out. It does look like Kosher slaughterhouses require extremely sharp knives which can be quite efficient and quick, however they animals must be conscious before the slaughter according to Shechita.
  • According to the Humane Slaughter Act, all animals must be unconscious before they are killed which is usually by exsanguination via cuts to the arteries. However, according to Kosher rules the animal must be conscious before slaughter thus it experiences all the pain associated with the bleeding out. It does look like Kosher slaughterhouses require extremely sharp knives which can be quite efficient and quick, however they animals must be conscious before the slaughter according toShechita.
    Wow, what bastards.
  • Best thing about kosher foods is the kosher Coke around Passover. It's made with real sugar instead of corn syrup. Tasty! And when it comes to how things are slaughtered, I don't care as long as it's clean. Cause bacon tastes good.
  • edited May 2008
    And when it comes to how things are slaughtered, I don't care as long as it's clean. Cause bacon tastes good.
    I eat meat, but there are humane ways to slaughter, and inhumane ways to slaughter. Anyone that chooses an inhumane method when a humane method is available, is simply evil. Kosher rules are silly in modern times. Also, there is no such thing as kosher bacon... they can't eat pork products.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited May 2008
    Anyone that chooses an inhumane method when a humane method is available, is simply evil.
    If that's true, then why is a person who chooses to eat meat, when they can choose not to eat meat, not evil?
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • If that's true, then why is a person who chooses to eat meat, when they can choose not to eat meat, not evil?
    Read Buddha Vol. 1 by Tezuka.