This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080508 - GeekNights Book Club: The Prince of Nothing

Comments

• I demand aHouseof Leaves episode. >:U
    Ta-da.
  • This is often true but not always true. Did he seem like he was intellectually lazy before you knew he didn't enjoy reading?
    Good god yes. There is a much broader story involved with this gentleman that shall be saved for a Thursday special. ^_~
    Yeah, he was a real winner, that one.
  • It looks like I'll at least be giving it a shot.

I just got an E-Mail from my library, the whole trilogy is waiting for me on hold.
  • ...The first book of The Prince of Nothing is out at my local SF library. Lets see whether it or The Lies of Locke Lamora gets returned first.
  • Annoyingly, my library has the second two books but not the first. I'll see if I can track it down in the shops. I'm already reading 6-7 books so one more won't hurt.
  • I just got my copy of the book from Amazon yesterday, it's a lot thicker then I was expecting. I'll have to start reading it once I finish reading American Gods. I think I got the last Amazon copy, since when I bought it it said they only had 1 left in stock.
  • edited May 2008
    Thanks to this episode, I realized just how long it's been since I last read an actual novel in its entirety. I've read non-fiction books, and I've read stories on the internet, but the last long fiction book I read was Company by Max Barry, and I don't think I finished that. ...Oddly enough, I think that was because I was just getting into GeekNights and AWO at the time. XD;;

Anyway, since I don't have the money to spend on new books right now (keeping money aside for an anime con this week), I decided instead that I'd finally start reading Good Omens, which I'd been meaning to start for some time now. Thanks Rym and Scott! The book force is strong with me again! :D
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Good Omens
    I love that book! I am actually working on an illustration of Crowley and Azi right now! "Friends who are from enemy sides" is one of my favorite tropes in fiction, and it's such a goofy, cute story.
  • Yeah, I'm really enjoying it so far. I've never actually read anything by Terry Pratchett before (yes, yes, I know, I'm a heathen), and his humour seems to be exactly the sort of humour that I like. To say nothing of Neil Gaiman's influence in the story. :3
  • Pratchett is one of my favorite authors. He's so damn good. I haven't found a bad book by him yet.
  • I've never actually read anything by Terry Pratchett before (yes, yes, I know, I'm a heathen), and his humour seems to be exactly the sort of humour that I like.
    HEATHEN! (I kid, I kid.) If you do decide to get into reading Terry's stuff, I highly recommend using a copy of the Annotated Pratchett File as a reference to a lot of the little bits that may be missed during casual reading. He crams a LOT of nods to modern culture into his work and it's easy to miss things that might have been laugh-worthy if you knew the point of reference.
    Ta-da.
    Already listened to that. I'd prefer to hear what Scrym thinks of it.
    Ta-da.
    Already listened to that. I'd prefer to hear what Scrym thinks of it.
    I had never even heard of House of Leaves before this very moment when I read this thread.
  • edited May 2008
    On the subject of Pratchett... I just finished Making Money, his newest Discworld book. I am enjoying his new lead character in Moist as well as seeing more of the Patrician.
    According to the tracking info I should have my copies of the PoN books tomorrow. They will be a big help in getting me through my plane flights next week.
    Post edited by ColdfireSerge on
  • Pratchett is great. Moist von Lipwig is awesome, as is anyone who can handle that much of the Patrician's attention.
  • No Prince of Nothing books in the library. Guess I won't be reading any of it anytime soon. The books sound very awesome though, I will read them if I remember. For now I'll continue scrolling through House Atreides.
  • I had never even heard of House of Leaves before this very moment when I read this thread.
    Read it immediately. Even if you don't enjoy it, which I doubt will be the case, it will be the most interestingly written book you'll have ever read.
  • Pratchett is great. Moist von Lipwig is awesome, as is anyone who can handle that much of the Patrician's attention.
    I am not a fan of Moist. Vimes is the man, and I want to see him back!
  • edited May 2008
    I was just looking into placing an order for all three of The Prince of Nothing online, but the cost of the international shipping is $20 which pretty much negates the cheaper pricing.
    EDIT: meh. Even then it's still cheaper than standard prices over here.
    For the sake of being lazy, I ordered anyways.
    The delivery estimate says June 13 - July 3, 2008 (the latter date is pretty painful, isn't it?), but I guess I'm not in any kind of hurry.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I was just looking into placing an order for all three of The Prince of Nothing online, but the cost of the international shipping is $20 which pretty much negates the cheaper pricing.
    The delivery estimate says June 13 - July 3, 2008 (the latter date is pretty painful, isn't it?), but I guess I'm not in any kind of hurry.
    I know that there are versions of the book in other languages, so depending on where you are, you might be able to get a local copy.
  • Just got Prince of Nothing a few hours ago, and read a couple of pages. The names of people and places are a bitch.
  • I know that there are versions of the book in other languages, so depending on where you are, you might be able to get a local copy.
    I personally haven't seen any Dutch translation of the Prince of Nothing books. And if they exist, fuck them, the Dutch language is horrible for the written art.
  • Just got Prince of Nothing a few hours ago, and read a couple of pages. The names of people and places are a bitch.
    Use the glossary.
  • I was just looking into placing an order for all three of The Prince of Nothing online, but the cost of the international shipping is $20 which pretty much negates the cheaper pricing.
    I know that there are versions of the book in other languages, so depending on where you are, you might be able to get a local copy.
    Yeah, but it would likely be more expensive, so I was lazy and ordered from Amazon anyway.
  • There's a German version for sure, though I bet it's horrible. ^^
    Sadly I don't really enjoy reading these big fantasy novels.
  • Sadly I don't really enjoy reading these big fantasy novels.
    Yeah, I didn't expect it to be this big. I may finish The Darkness before the spoilers episode, but I doubt most of the audience will have finished the entire trilogy.
  • It's monumental, given that it's just the first book of a trilogy, so I guess Scrym think very high of their listeners.

I think I'll really enjoy it after a couple of pages. It makes you feel "superior" by having it told to you through a knowledgeable person, in the beginning at least.
    The language is a bit hard, for someone, who really started using English some years ago and now somewhat abandons German, but it seems manageable in the second prologue (with or without a dictionary).
  • Already listened to that. I'd prefer to hear what Scrym thinks of it.
    I'll second this. House of Leaves is worth reading and reviewing, even if you hate it.

I'd also like to recommend George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series for future Geek Nights Book Club episodes. Some one on another podcast called it "fantasy without the kid gloves", and I think that's a rather apt description. From their comments about what's wrong with most fantasy books, I think Scrym would really enjoy the ASoIaF books.
  • edited May 2008
    If you get into it, you can read them rather quickly (I say that as a painfully slow reader). I read through Alex's copies pretty quickly, and after my husband dragged his feet on the first book, he read the remaining two in days. We loved them so much, that we would have bought our own, had we not received them as a wedding gift last year. I also bought copies as gifts for my father-in-law this past Chrismukkah.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Oh man! I just bought this book, and I can't stop reading! Thanks Rym, and Scott for introducing me to yet another form of perfect media. The only pain in the ass is going in between this, and all the other media I have because I am still playing Mass Effect, I just rented Lost Odyssey, and the laundry list of anime I am still watching. Scott I feel your pain.