This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080508 - GeekNights Book Club: The Prince of Nothing

Comments

• haha. I started reading a few days ago. In the beginning I was like a hesitant lover, but now my voracious appetite for Princes of Darkness knows no bounds. I look forward to the review/discussion.
  • I am not a fan of Moist. Vimes is the man, and I want to see him back!
    To be honest, I think what he's doing with Vimes' character is perfect. There's really nowhere left for Vimes to go. He's an important guy, he's married, he's not really involved in the day to day business of the watch, he has a son, he's come to terms with his aging... There's really not much character development still available, and all that's left for him plot-wise is him being a powerful guy in Ankh-Morpork who wanders around representing the Patrician. So he does that, he just does it in other people's books. Which is awesome.

He's still my second favorite character, after the Patrician.
  • I have yet to start this book and don't feel I'll be done in time for the final thoughts on it. -_-

I'm just not in a wordy book reading mood.
  • I have yet to start this book and don't feel I'll be done in time for the final thoughts on it. -_-
    The episode isn't going anywhere. You can skip the episode and listen to it later, after you have read the books.
  • The episode isn't going anywhere. You can skip the episode and listen to it later, after you have read the books.
    I understand that. It's just when you do review it, you get a lot good conversation about it in the forum. When I do eventually finish it, it will be ages later and it will make me feel behind for "not keeping up with the Joneses". (I know it's retarded, but it's nice participating in recent/active threads instead of necro-posting.) ^^;;
  • The episode isn't going anywhere. You can skip the episode and listen to it later, after you have read the books.
    I understand that. It's just when you do review it, you get a lot good conversation about it in the forum. When I do eventually finish it, it will be ages later and it will make me feel behind for "not keeping up with the Joneses". (I know it's retarded, but it's nice participating in recent/active threads instead of necro-posting.) ^^;;
    I have a feeling that there will be a couple of waves of people reading the books. You'll have the initial wave of people who blew through them and were able to listen, and then a second wave of people probably a month or two after, and then a trickling in. So you probably won't miss the fun entirely. That being said, read these books!
  • edited May 2008
    I'll probably be in the second wave, but only because I settled for international shipping.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'll probably be in the second or third wave if at all, I read the prologue two weeks or so back... And it wasn't very compelling.
  • It just arrived via Amazon. Now the Society will get a new book to replace the one that might have wandered off.
  • I'll probably be in the second or third wave if at all, I read the prologue two weeks or so back... And it wasn't very compelling.
    What? I only read the prologue the day before yesterday (I couldn't read more yesterday because of a wedding) and I loved it!
    It must be the most awesome book I've ever read! (haven't read that many books yet).
  • I bought the first book two days ago, I just read the prologue last night, I'm freaking ADDICTED. Definitely the best fantasy book I've ever read, and one of the best books I've read in general. This is, of course, based on the first 30 pages. However, I doubt this opinion will change any time soon. Thanks for the recommendation, guys!
  • If the final thoughts episode is going to be about all three books, I guess I won't be able to participate in the ensuing thread discussion until later down the line. I didn't have enough extra money to buy the first book until a couple days ago, thus I'll probably only have finished the first book by the time the episode comes out. Oh well, at least that episode will still be there for me when I do finish.
  • edited June 2008
    Hmm, well, I ordered all 3 and 2 out of 3 arrived today (the third was delayed slightly).
    My ordering all 3 goes to show I trust you guys ;)
    It's a lot earlier than expected; I ordered 2.5 weeks ago, and the estimated arrival date was 3 weeks from today (International shipping sucks, dunno why I decided to settle for it :P)

If it's as good as you guys say it is, I can't risk beginning today; I'm in swotvac, and, even though it's meant to be assessment-free, I have assignments due 34, 51, and 58 hours from now.
    After the assignments are over I may start; I have tests coming but they don't worry me as much.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    What? I only read the prologue the day before yesterday (I couldn't read more yesterday because of a wedding) and I loved it!
    It must be the most awesome book I've ever read! (haven't read that many books yet).
    You're declaring this after only reading the prologue? If that's the case, yes, you absolutely need to read more.

I write a bit in my free time and the prologue felt like something I do that I call "barfing it out." It's a process where I just start off with whatever it is I already have and force things onto the page, going from tangent to tangent specifically to make progress (usually to push past the parts where I feel blocked). It feels disjointed, it rambles, and it's dirty at best; regardless, it's something that you can work with and clean up later.

While this prologue isn't nearly as bad as that, it did feel disjointed and I never found it flowing at all. At best, it feels tacked on as a beginning.

Eh. I'm enjoying A Canticle for Leibowitz too much anyway.

Since I already returned the other two, I may return The Darkness that Comes Before to the library and start it back up in a few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if it does hit its stride once you get into it. I've just got to get through some other stuff I've been looking forward to reading and watching before that.
  • You're declaring this after only reading the prologue? If that's the case, yes, you absolutely need to read more.

I write a bit in my free time and the prologue felt like something I do that I call "barfing it out." It's a process where I just start off with whatever it is I already have and force things onto the page, going from tangent to tangent specifically to make progress (usually to push past the parts where I feel blocked). It feels disjointed, it rambles, and it's dirty at best; regardless, it's something that you can work with and clean up later.

While this prologue isn't nearly as bad as that, it did feel disjointed and I never found it flowing at all. At best, it feels tacked on as a beginning.

Eh. I'm enjoying A Canticle for Leibowitz too much anyway.

Since I already returned the other two, I may return The Darkness that Comes Before to the library and start it back up in a few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if it does hit its stride once you get into it. I've just got to get through some other stuff I've been looking forward to reading and watching before that.
    It's not like I base the quality of the book on just the prologue, I just really liked the style. And yes, I said 'how can you NOT like it', but I do understand how someone can not like it.
  • Question that just came to mind today: how will the new GeekNights schedule affect the future of the book club? You obviously can't have it once a month now, or else half of all Thursday shows would become book club shows (1 out of 2 a month). Will it be once every two months now or something?
  • Question that just came to mind today: how will the new GeekNights schedule affect the future of the book club? You obviously can't have it once a month now, or else half of all Thursday shows would become book club shows (1 out of 2 a month). Will it be once every two months now or something?
    I don't think it will be a problem. Rym and Scott have things in the works.
  • Oh I don't think it'll a be a problem. I just was curious to know what exactly the schedule for it was going to be now.
  • I don't think it will be a problem. Rym and Scott have things in the works.
    Talk about a non-responsive answer!
  • I don't think it will be a problem. Rym and Scott have things in the works.
    Talk about a non-responsive answer!
    Things are in the works - details haven't been pinned down, thus no specifics at this time - but plans are being made.
  • Scrym moves in mysterious ways.
  • If I had to guess about the new schedule, I'd say that the episode will likely be either on a Thursday, probably a Thursday a 5th week out if the dates don't line up, or perhaps a "special" episode.
  • edited June 2008
    I demand a GeekNights Book Club episode on the Alphabet of Manliness!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I demand a GeekNights Book Club episode on the Alphabet of Manliness!
    What is the Alphabet of Manliness? Link please!
    You have to ask? You're a woman, that's why you don't know. :p
    I am, in fact, a woman. Thus I am MRS. MacRoss and my husband posts as MR.MacRoss. Unfortunately, everyone thinks we are one person. We need to get icons. Please link to the book and/or a review. Thanks!
    I am, in fact, a woman. Thus I am MRS. MacRoss and my husband posts as MR.MacRoss. Unfortunately, everyone thinks we are one person. We need to get icons. Please link to the book and/or a review. Thanks!
    Kate, I own a copy of it, if you'd like to read it.

If you've ever read this guy's stuff before, then you have a pretty good idea of what's in it.

Still, though, it's funny.
  • edited June 2008
    Call me crazy, but is it part of the normal feed (the all days one)? It doesn't seem to be caught and downloaded. And before you all start in, yes I know I could click on the link up top to get it, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing a feed. I'm already subscribed to experimental and the "all" feeds.

EDIT: Never mind. The thread popping up just recent made me thought there was a new "surprise" episode.
    Post edited by Tasel on
  • I am, in fact, a woman. Thus I am MRS. MacRoss and my husband posts as MR.MacRoss. Unfortunately, everyone thinks we are one person. We need to get icons.
    I know you're a woman, hence I stated it and teased with it. However, to be honest, I hadn't heard about the Alphabet of Manliness, well, perhaps a fleeting moment, either.
    If you've ever readthis guy's stuff before,then you have a pretty good idea of what's in it.
    Ah yes, the greatest website in the Universe, good stuff. Perhaps I should see if I can borrow a copy of the book.