This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Jobs

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
What job would you do if you could do everything over again? It has to be something that is realistically achievable. Astronaut and Amway millionaire don't count.

I have a friend who attended the Merchant Marine Academy, and he gets paid to travel the world. However, it sounds much better than it actually is. He works for three months and then gets three months off. While that is good in a lot of ways, it makes family life impossible. He also doesn't get to see anywhere that he travels to. He literally has to stay on the ship at all times. And keep in mind, he sees port cities. They aren't exactly the most scenic places. It's like going to New York City but only seeing Bayonne, NJ. Nonetheless, I've always wished that I had a job like this. Anything that involves travel appeals to me.

Comments

• edited May 2008
    If I had it to do over again (and that sparks a whole other discussion, because if you did things differently, maybe some things you WOULDN'T want to change wouldn't have turned out the way they did) I'd pretty much do what I'm finally starting to do now -- drawing comics -- only I wouldn't have quit drawing for 6 or 7 years. And I probably would've gone to college.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited May 2008
    An astronaut is realistically achievable, especially considering the intellect that 99% of people on this forum have.

As for me, I still have a long ways to go before I'm in the workforce.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • An astronaut is realistically achievable, especially considering the intellect that 99% of people on this forum have.
    I think there are only like 8 astronauts at any given time or something like that. Not good odds. Additionally, some people just don't meet the physical requirements -- they're too short, too tall, whatever.
  • I wouldn't do a different job, because being a Flight Attendant is what I always wanted to do, and is indeed - as far as I'm concerned - the best job in the world.

But I can say that I wouldn't have done a few of the jobs I have done - I wouldn't want to have worked at BOC again, because while it was kinda cool to look at (it was a gas production and bottling plant) it was so mind-dullingly boring I could have taken a swan dive off the top of the warehouse just for a bit of excitement.

Honestly, though, that's about it. Even when I was working bar at places I hated, I got good stories out of it. Even though, for example, Casablancas gypped me for pay, the working conditions were terrible, and the boss was a dick, with the owner being just as bad(he once stole a brand new Powerbook off a drunk backpacker), I still got some stories out of it. Like the time a guy got so drunk he stripped bare-arse, and was chased around the bars for a good 15 minutes by security. Or the bloke who got in a massive fight, had half the customers in the joint in the brawl, and the only identification on him we found was a workers compensation claim saying he couldn't work any longer, due to neck and back problems that had supposedly left him semi-crippled, and needing a wheelchair.
  • Formula 1 driver.
  • Brewmaster.

Hell, I may try to do that some day anyhow.
  • There are days. I wanted to be an astronaut, but I'm too tall and not so good with the math. But, I'd love to own a bar someday. A cool, old-school bar where people could come and hang out, watch sports, game and chill.
  • Historical re-enactor at Colonial Williamsburg.
  • I already have my perfect job! I am an animatrix!

My dream of being an astronaut was nipped in the bud when my father read me a book about Sally Ride and I found out you have to have really good vision, among other things. I don't have really BAD vision, but I sure couldn't be a fighter pilot. Things are kinda fuzzy.

I like the idea of owning a little French-Style bakery. I'd get up before dawn to make the bread, and I'd run a little coffee shop cafe. I like cooking, but I never really pursued it. Also, I'd like to be a novelist. You don't have a ton of money, but you can move all around and live anywhere in the world if you want!
  • Either the owner of a geekery shop or wild clothing shop. Overall, my dream job is what I am training for. The title of ANIMATOR!
  • I want to be an Imagineer and that is actually what I am shooting for as a career, it's not just some lofty ambition.
  • I think there are only like 8 astronauts at any given time or something like that. Not good odds. Additionally, some people just don't meet the physical requirements -- they're too short, too tall, whatever.
    I would fail the psych test and wig out as soon as they started stress testing.

Also, I would be an architect.
  • I think I'd want to be a TV network executive/ movie producer/ Comic book editor, just some form of media supervision. I got into the business stream in university so leaning towards marketing is closest I can get.
  • I'm pretty sure if I could go back and do it again with my current knowledge I wouldn't change a thing . . . realistically. Unrealistically:
    Formula 1 driver.
  • edited May 2008
    I honestly think I could have been an F1 driver if my parents had me drive go-karts instead of Little League. It's already too late for me now. Fernando Alonso is less than a year older than I am.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Fernando Alonso is less than a year older than I am.
    Random unrelated comment: He's also a massive junkie. He turned up at my school in Brussels and then drove our resident dealer to Amsterdam and back to pick up.
    Unsurprisingly, he also has a really nice car.
  • I think I am troubled, tortured, and bipolar enough to be a country music singer. We once went to the play Lost Highway and afterwards Carole said, "Hank Williams was nowhere near as brooding, moody, and depressed as you. Why don't you try to learn to play the guitar?"
  • Ok, so my contract at ATCC is ending on Friday. There are a couple of opening in the Bioproduction/media department and I have applied to both of them. Some of my co-workers are telling me to contact the person in charge of the recruiting and I am not so sure how to approach that situation. I have a name but I am not sure what to do know. I was wonderign how some of you guys would approach this?
  • Some of my co-workers are telling me to contact the person in charge of the recruiting and I am not so sure how to approach that situation. I have a name but I am not sure what to do know. I was wonderign how some of you guys would approach this?
    Call them on the phone?
  • I honestly think I could have been an F1 driver if my parents had me drive go-karts instead of Little League. It's already too late for me now. Fernando Alonso is less than a year older than I am.
    You backed into something with your car.
  • I honestly think I could have been an F1 driver if my parents had me drive go-karts instead of Little League. It's already too late for me now. Fernando Alonso is less than a year older than I am.
    You backed into something with your car.
    You don't need reverse in F1.
  • I have a name but I am not sure what to do know. I was wonderign how some of you guys would approach this?
    You applied, right? Talk to the guy in charge of recruiting and just "touch base." Y'know, "Hey, did you get my applications? You have any idea how long it'll be before you notify people?" That sort of thing. Maintain contact and establish in their mind that you're really interested in the position.

So what do you do for the ATCC? I've always wondered what it's like to work for them. Do you have warehouse filled with freezers or something?
  • You don't need reverse in F1.
    You need good spatial awareness though.

I think I'd like to be a motoring journalist.
  • On the topic, I'm well on my way to my dream job of being a game designer/programmer/director/everything-but-art-er. Other careers I would consider for the future when I'm tired of doing all that, either teaching, or writing by day and owning/running a bar by night.
  • JayJay
    edited February 2010
    Computer Programmer/Engineer, likley dictated by what schools would accept me into what programs at the end of high school. The rumors of the market being flooded and even highly skilled workers being payed relatively little for their education were highly overexerted. From my university the most universally successful people I know that graduated were in Comp Eng or Programing.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Archaeologist, Anthropologist, Historian, or Animal Biologist. All are based on travel, research in an area of interest, and a hefty amount of time out in nature.

Still, I will have summers to pursue whatever I like on a pet-project basis.
  • edited February 2010
    Computer Programmer/Engineer (Probably dictated by what schools would accept me into what programs at the end of highschool). The rumors of the market being flooded and even highly skilled workers being payed relatively little for their education where highly overexerted. From my university the most Universally successful people I know that graduated were in Comp Eng or Programing.
    The markets were being flooded for a while because there was a large influx of Indian and Chinese programmers/engineers, but that was because their countries didn't have the jobs yet. That's not really the case anymore, so companies these days are actually short because our colleges aren't pumping them out anymore. All of my friends who graduated with me in the field (myself included) have good jobs making at least 50,000 a year if not more. I don't care who you are, that's damn good for an entry job.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Hmm. War photographer, old-school Private Eye, or either Cafe/Bakery or Bar owner. Hell, I can still do the first one if shit hits the fan, and hopefully I can still do one of the latter two when I retire.
  • If I could do any job without having to worry about money/income, I would open up a rare book store and become a well known dealer.
  • In an alternate universe where I had an endless pool of time and money to spend on college, I'd totally get a Ph.D. in English.