This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Jobs

Comments

• I had an interview on my lunch break with a service that specifically places Legal Assistants, Paralegals, and Legal Secretaries. They informed me that I am currently under paid for my level of experience and they have two positions that are promising. Huzzah!
    Awesome. I hope they can place you in a place where you are appreciated and the people are less dickish.
  • You have mad skills. In the worse case scenario you can always bail and get another job again.
    I will attest that this isn't always true, however, you've got pretty good chances, as your skills are more relevant.
  • I had an interview on my lunch break with a service that specifically places Legal Assistants, Paralegals, and Legal Secretaries. They informed me that I am currently under paid for my level of experience and they have two positions that are promising. Huzzah!
    Awesome. I hope they can place you in a place where you are appreciated and the people are less dickish.
    Thanks, Nuri! I made it pretty clear that I only want firms that have separate office managers and/or human resources representatives. Every small firm I have worked for that has a "Managing" Attorney and no real human resources or office manager has been abysmal. There is a reason why management is an entire field unto itself. A person may be a brilliant Attorney, but if they have no training in management, then they really shouldn't manage.
  • So, my contract got extended for another 60 days again. I welcome the money, I only hope this time I am a little busier than before. But if the other position opens I will go for the one on Media. Also, I got a phone from "Anchor" in Rockville MD, I will give them to see what is all about. They left a message saying it fits my molecular biology interests.
  • A person may be an brilliantAce Attorney, but if they have no training in management, then they really shouldn't manage.
  • A person may be anbrilliantAceAttorney, but if they have no training in management, then they really shouldn't manage.
  • I have found over the years that attorneys are rarely good at human resource matters.
  • I have found over the years that attorneys people who are not trained in human resource matters are rarely good at human resource matters.
    If I were ever to start a real business, one of my first steps would be to get someone who knows how to run the business side involved. Attorneys aren't particularly special in that regard; doctors, bakers, and programmers are all just as bad, as a group, at running businesses and HR without learning what they are doing first.
  • Engineering or IT field (my brother is still in University doing chemical engineering and in his first student year did a holiday job which made him $45,000).

If it still had to be within close reach of my current field, instead of being a Veterinary surgeon I would have gone for the easier Medicine course because the Veterinary field is primarily a small business - sales and retail field saturated by people who have no idea how to run workplaces or business.
    Plus you get the common snob off that you're not really a doctor and are deficient when in actual fact you are forced to know and do more for less money immediately after graduating.

Sort of copycatting - F1 Driver.
  • I had a two hour long interview today at a firm that is in house counsel for an insurance company. I really liked the atmosphere, the clear cut and stable office policies, the overall respect the attorneys (all three of them) have for their staff, the rather nice benefits package, the shorter commute (literally a 10 minute drive without traffic and 15 minute drive with traffic), the improved hours, the increased vacation/personal/sick time (starting out at the firm I would have 3 more vacation days than I have at the firm I have worked for for three years), and the slightly more interesting/challenging work they would have me doing (nothing ground braking, but I would be responsible for some "real" paralegal work rather than form pleadings for everything). The paralegal placement agency I am working with said that they called immediately after the interview and that they will be making a formal offer as soon as they call my references. It isn't in the bag yet and I hope their offer is at least a bit more than I make now, but even if this isn't "the" position, it is really nice to see how a real office runs and to feel valued (even if it is only for a day).
    ^_^
  • Boo yah! That's awesome!
  • Yup, well done Kate!

If I could go back and do it over, I would become a movie director. However, and this is always the way, the only reason why I think I have a lot to bring to Hollywood is that I've lived a pretty interesting life so far, with lots of travel and experiences, which wouldn't have happened if all I did was try to make films.

Also: an astronaut.
  • I've been thinking about getting back into game design but there is no money there. The only people who make big bucks are the Knizia's and Moon's of the world. The rest get chump change unless they manage to bring their own creation all the way to market (Trivial Pursuit).
  • Last day at Boeing today. Going to miss a lot of the people here, but not much else.
  • I have a new "jorb"!
  • I have a new "jorb"!
    EEEEEEEEEEE! Yay! Congratulations! I really hope this results in a happier workplace for you.
  • I have a new "jorb"!
    EEEEEEEEEEE! Yay! Congratulations! I really hope this results in a happier workplace for you.
    It appears to be on multiple levels!!
  • Good for you. Hopefully no more bad work stories will come from you.
  • I have a new "jorb"!
    Kerngratcher-lations on tekken the jerb.
  • I have a new "jorb"!
    Congo rats!
  • Congrats, Kate -- you deserve a lot better than that other place.
  • Congratulations Kate!
  • I have a new "jorb"!
    How long before you begin?
  • I have a new "jorb"!
    How long before you begin?
    I get the official offer of employment letter on Tuesday, so I will give my two weeks notice on Wednesday. I will try to arrange it so I start on April 5th, so I can go to Maryland for passover.
  • So, my ex-girlfriend used to work for Hermann Tilke, who is the architect and builder of many Formula 1 race tracks. I remember ears ago chatting to one of the race course designers, and gave my own recommendations on what I thought would make F1 circuits more interesting. One thing I said was "Build the grandstands right up against the outside of corners, and have the runoff extend underneath the grandstand. This way people will get a real rush as the cars speed directly towards them, then turn away at the last second."

I was just reading the wikipedia page for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix circuit, and found this line "Additionally, one of the gravel traps runs underneath the West grandstand." Maybe they came up with this idea independently, but it seems quite a coincidence considering I was friends with the person whose job it was to actually draw the shape of the track.
  • I loved watching the race at Abu Dhabi last year. The darkness of the sky and the modern looking track made everything look futuristic.
  • So for about 7 months I have being working in a biopharmaceutical company in Rockville MD, my commute is of about 1 hour and seven months I have being promised that if we get an award called BARDA I would be hired full time, right now I am a temp, I am earning by the hour and only one hour more, the benefit is that I can get there at 6:30 and leave at 3:00 in order to avoid traffic on my way home. Seven months have passed and we are yet to hear anything from BARDA. However, my patience is wearing thin, working without benefits it kind of sucks after a long period of time, and the commute does not make it easier.
    I had to leave early yesterday and today I had to take "a day off" in order to deal with some car problems. I let them know about both things in advance, when I returned home from getting my car fixed I got an e-mail from my supervisor telling me that, recently (over the last month) I have being absent for at least one day a week (on the last week of December everyone got one week off, of course mine was with out pay), in the middle of the month of December and early January, one was due to snow and the other one was because I was sick (I don't have insurance and I work with viruses, so I rather rest for one day than paying a huge medical bill later on), and today was because of my car. Basically, he was asking me if I really want the job.
    I would love to have the position if it were full time and with benefits, I would not have to worry about getting sick and not being able to pay, and at least I would have some vacation. I do not care much about commuting now but in the beginning it kind of sucked.
    A co-worker of mine is leaving on Friday to pursue another career, but I haven't heard anything from my supervisor regarding any openings for her position nor offerings. I have heard from other people but not from him.
    Recently I have heard from many openings at my previous company from friends that still work there. I didn't know how much they would offer, but at least they are full time, with benefits, and way closer to home.
    I guess tomorrow when I have the chat with my supervisor I would just have to tell him what I love to work with them but working as a full-timer while being paid as a temp kind of sucks.
    What do you guys think?
    If anything, the most important thing that I got from my current job are all the awesome assays that I was able to perform, and learn.
  • I think if given the chance to plan from the very beginning I would have become a sex worker permanently once I turned 18 instead of just dabbling here and there for a couple of years like I did. Now that I've got a "straight" job I've set a precedent for my family of them expecting to know what's going on with me career-wise. If I had planned right from the start I could have established early on some kind of cover that could carry me throughout.

Stigma or no, nothing feels better than setting your own hours and making ~$1000/week for ~5 hours work.
  • I think if given the chance to plan from the very beginning I would have become a sex worker permanently once I turned 18 instead of just dabbling here and there for a couple of years like I did. Now that I've got a "straight" job I've set a precedent for my family of them expecting to know what's going on with me career-wise. If I had planned right from the start I could have established early on some kind of cover that could carry me throughout.

Stigma or no, nothing feels better than setting your own hours and making ~$1000/week for ~5 hours work.
    Money and having your own hours are great, but it is also good to have some sort of other knowledge on the side. I would recommend to take a class of something on your free time.
    By the way, I am not trying to diminish sexual knowledge, having it is a great thing :O
  • edited January 2011
    Ffffff. I just found out I need to present a CV for these internships/research jobs I'm applying for. I have almost no research experience, which is not helping.

How do I CV, you guys?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on