This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Prince Caspian

edited May 2008 in Movies
So how many of you atheists are going to bathe in hypocrisy by seeing the new Narnia movie?

I'm looking forward to it, although I'm not able to go this weekend.

Comments

• I'm going to see it because I read and liked the books. Just because it has underlying Christian themes doesn't mean it would be hypocritical for atheists to see it. The same goes for Christians seeing the Golden Compass (although they didn't turn out to be very open minded about that one and boycotted it without ever seeing it). I'll watch something if I think it is a good story.

Anyway, from what I have seen in the previews, they have changed it quite a bit, and I will probably be ranting and raving afterwards. That happens to every Hollywood movie-ized book though. Alas.
  • I'm going to see it because of the nostalgia of loving the books as a child and the first Walden Media version of Lion, Witch and Wardrobe fucking ruled.

When I was young I didn't know of the Christian allegory until the days I was forced to go to church and participate in the youth groups events. One of which was a book club and that was the first book we read and the adult leading it was really ham fisting the Christian undertones.

Despite that experience I still loved the books. I loved the trailer for the movie. I must go tonight!...or tomorrow.
  • Yeah, Kilarney is completely wrong again. What atheists are all about is religion being fiction.
  • Yeah, Kilarney is completely wrong again.
    Apparently your sarcasm detector is broken.
  • The same goes for Christians seeing the Golden Compass
    Score one for the Christians. That movie sucked.
  • edited May 2008
    Wrong again, no-one's it that sensitive.
    Edit: Missing apostrophe, way to make a big deal out of nothing.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • no-ones it that sensitive
    What the hell does that mean? Where is Mr. Period when you need him.
  • I really want to see this as I thought the previous film was quite awesome, and the previews look good.
  • The same goes for Christians seeing the Golden Compass
    Score one for the Christians. That movie sucked.
    It more than sucked. It was the worst movie of the year.

I read the books and watching that movie was painful. I felt like the directors kid wrote the script.

"And then she went with the blonde woman. Then she escaped. Then they went to a cold place. Oh yeah, there were big white bears."

If you had not read the books first you would have been totally lost because they never explained anything as the movie went along. They go from the girl being rescued by the boat people to suddenly being up north with no mention of the council who decided to go north.

There was so much that was out of order to. The witches were not supposed to appear until after they freed the bear.
  • I'm seeing it tonight :). If I see it and no one posts about it, then I'd be happy to inform you all on my final judgment of the film.
  • New Narnia movie? Ah, thanks for telling, I enjoyed the first one.
  • edited May 2008
    The Golden Compass movie was pretty... and that is about it. It was painfully obvious how much they wanted to avoid the larger topics that would possibly be controversial, and in doing so removed anything compelling. I love the books, and I will see the second one if it is released, but the first one was such a HUGE disappointment.
    My atheist father read the Narnia series to me when I was little (complete with voices). Good writing is good writing, and compelling story telling is compelling story telling. Just because this fiction happened to fall in line with some Christian fiction, doesn't make it bad fiction.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Good writing is good writing, and compelling story telling is compelling story telling.
    I've always thought that C.S. Lewis was a great storyteller, by a mediocre writer. The Narnia novels have way too many elipses, for example.
  • When I read the Narnia books, it seemed like there were merely Christian undertones at the beginning. By the end, however, it felt like they did just about everything but come out and say, "We're talking about Christianity here."
  • It seems like this movie will be better, probably with more action and whatnot to spice it up. The first one was okay, but it just didn't seem to have the same charm the book did. We'll see.
  • edited May 2008
    Lewis was a great storyteller, by a mediocre writer
    How can a writer write a good storyteller?

In any case, while I can see the Church encouraging Narnia series to become set books and while the themes are very much Christian Narnia is very much the fantasy series.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited May 2008
    Lewis was a great storyteller, but a mediocre writer
    This is what he means.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Lewis was a great storyteller, buta mediocre writer
    This is what he means.
    I was just poking fun at him having a go at me for missing an apostrophe.
  • edited May 2008
    I was just poking fun at him having a go at me for missing an apostrophe.
    You cruel man.

I actually made that mistake on purpose. It was a subtle reference to mankind's inherent imperfection as suggested by the bible. It was intended to be an illustration of the Christian overtones as used in C.S. Lewis' writings. ;-)
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Just got back from seeing it. Pretty good, I would say. Nice epic battles. They ramped up the Jesus a bit, but eh, I can deal with it.
  • I agree that it was good, but I didn't really feel the Jesus. Mostly I felt that it was borrowing from a lot of other movies. For instance the horse chase at the start felt very reminiscent of Fellowship of the Ring and Reepicheep felt like a mouse version of Puss in Boots from Shrek.
  • edited May 2008
    I felt like there were a lot of images and scenes that were reminiscent of LotR as well. There was definitely more heavy handed Jesus-ness, but it is like that in the book. All around an enjoyable watch.

Incidentally, Prince Caspian is actually Book #3 (not counting The Magician's Nephew) in the series. They skipped A Horse and His Boy, probably because it is slower paced and the four children appear only briefly as adults in it.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2008
    I really don't give a shit if the Narnia series has Jesus undertones, I just like reading the books for what they are. As long a book has easily likable characters, a solid plot, a good amount of imagination employed, and a clear and thought provoking message to it; then I'm happy.
    I felt like there were a lot of images and scenes that were reminiscent of LotR as well. There was definitely more heavy handed Jesus-ness, but it is like that in the book. All around an enjoyable watch.

Incidentally, Prince Caspian is actually Book #3 (not counting The Magician's Nephew) in the series. They skipped A Horse and His Boy, probably because it is slower paced and the four children appear only briefly as adults in it.
    I hear that all the time, Prince Caspian is actually second book. It was published after The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe therefore it is the second book. The reason why people say Prince Caspian is third book is at some time in the future, a stupid publisher decided to release the books chronologically instead of how they should properly be released. That is where the confusion began and it's still there too (god knows why).

I thought the Prince Caspian movie was really well done. I couldn't have done it better myself. Despite the fact that this movie is pretty damn good, it still doesn't top the first movie because that was an amazing accomplishment in it's own right. I can't wait for "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" to come out because that's my favorite book in the series.
    Just got back from seeing it. Pretty good, I would say. Nice epic battles. They ramped up the Jesus a bit, but eh, I can deal with it.
    I think it should be noted that Tolkien and Lewis were actually really good friends and they both inspired each other to write books. They were in fact part of an Oxford informal literary group called the "Inklings".
    Reepicheep felt like a mouse version of Puss in Boots from Shrek.
    I like to think of it in that the producers of Shrek stole both Reepicheep's character and Antonio Bandera's prominent typecast of Latin swordsmen/lovers and put them together.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • You know you can respond to everyone in just one post, right? No need to post four times in a row when it can just be a single one.
  • You know you can respond to everyone in just one post, right? No need to post four times in a row when it can just be a single one.
    I realized that as soon as I made all those posts. I apologize if I've cluttered the thread up a bit.
  • The Golden Compass movie was pretty... and that is about it. It was painfully obvious how much they wanted to avoid the larger topics that would possibly be controversial, and in doing so removed anything compelling. I love the books, and I will see the second one if it is released, but the first one was such a HUGE disappointment.
    Watching The Golden Compass got me into reading the novels. I agree the movie was very pretty. From watching the movie before reading the novels, I felt the movie lacked a lot of character development and was pretty sure that they cut out a lot from the book. I was right.

I recently finished the trilogy and don't know if I want whatever movie company to finish it up. I just can't imagine them doing any better.

@Mrs. MacRoss,

Have you read the additional supplemental books Philip Pullman wrote after His Dark Materials? I'm referring to Lyra and the Birds and Once Upon a Time in the North? I have them, but have yet to read them.

As for Prince Caspian, I never read any of the Narnia books, however I really enjoyed the movie. I liked the battle scenes and was pretty impressed that Disney is letting more violence out under their name. I really enjoyed the sword fight between the kings.

I agree with what others said about parts of the movie reminding me of LotR, but it was still enjoyable.

The mouse warriors stole the show. When I first saw Reepicheep enter in, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Holy shit, they should make a Mouseguard movie and use characters like these!"
  • edited May 2008
    They skipped A Horse and His Boy, probably because it is slower paced and the four children appear only briefly as adults in it.
    It's also SUPER RACIST AGAINST ARABS and very anti-Islam. I loved the book when I was little (horse!) and my mom said, "You know, this book is kinda racist" and I was like "Hwaaa?" And then I read it again and they are all like "Oh, you poor little white boy among the brown heathens. Go up north where all the nice white Christians are!" And I was like..."Golly, she wasn't kidding." Not that the fundamentalist Islamic leaders need an excuse to get pissed at the West, but why push their buttons if you don't have to?
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • They skipped A Horse and His Boy, probably because it is slower paced and the four children appear only briefly as adults in it.
    It's also SUPER RACIST AGAINST ARABS and very anti-Islam. I loved the book when I was little (horse!) and my mom said, "You know, this book is kinda racist" and I was like "Hwaaa?" And then I read it again and they are all like "Oh, you poor little white boy among the brown heathens. Go up north where all the nice white Christians are!" And I was like..."Golly, she wasn't kidding." Not that the fundamentalist Islamic leaders need an excuse to get pissed at the West, but why push their buttons if you don't have to?
    *shocked*

Wow...I was too young to understand when I read it. Wow...

I should really re-read this series.
  • I read it when I was young but I don't really remember any of it any more.
    It's shocking to hear that now; I too should re-read it.
  • edited May 2008
    Good writing is good writing, and compelling story telling is compelling story telling.
    I've always thought that C.S. Lewis was a great storyteller, by a mediocre writer. The Narnia novels have way too many elipses, for example.
    That is more a product of popular writing styles of the day, than of substandared writing ability.
    It's also SUPER RACIST AGAINST ARABS and very anti-Islam.
    While unacceptable, this sentiment is also a reflection of its time and social setting, possibly more than a reflection on its author.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on