This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Prince Caspian

2»

Comments

• I don't think I've read the books as a child but have watched the old BBC series in class (which I don't remember as well). I thought the movie was ok'ish to bad. It really was LOTR light. I can't get past the trees & river... I kept thinking that the Prince looks like Orlando Bloom in the back of my head the entire time so he put me off. Near the end when Aslan revealed the origin of the barbarians... I could not help but have a WTF look.

Was the film accurate to the source?

The mice were pretty bad-ass...
  • Please can we have a fantasy film that doesn't end with a big battle?

I watched the first of the latest Narnia films earlier this year and couldn't get over how similar the battle at the end was to Braveheart's big battle sequences. You could have swapped in Braveheart's battle into the end of the film and it would have done as good a job. The shots and the action were almost identical. Even the music cut out a the same point in the battle as Braveheart, and the only sound was the noise of the fighting. And then last week I watched the Golden Compass. and there was a big battle at the end of that too. Yawn.

Not only do I think these battles are annoying for their lack of creativity, I also see them as bad in another way. These two examples are films for kids, and the message is "violence works". This guy wants to be king? Fight, fight, fight!

Braveheart (might as well be fantasy) didn't need to end on a battle, as the resolution to the story went elsewhere. I like seeing battles and violence and ax on head action, but does it need to be the last sequence of the film? No.

Please, fantasy film writers and adapters, try something more subtle.