This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Oreos invade Britain.

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
After 90 years since its creation, the popular Oreo cookies/biscuits (whichever you prefer) brand has made its way to the United Kingdom, and they're experiencing a bit of a culture shock over this snack.

I can't stop reading the 4-page article I linked above. The reactions are just too funny to me.

Enjoy the treat!

Comments

• I've had Oreos before but they may have come from one of the small shops specializing in foreign foods. Just a question but how bad are Oreos for you?
  • Oreos are disgusting.
  • I used to eat double stuff, but now I really can't eat them at all.
  • I don't mind them, but can only have a few cause they do tend to be too sweet. The article is funny... "those "Yanks" who are trying to "snatch the biscuit from our mouths and replace [it] with a tackier piece of inferior confectionary." I can so hear their snobby voices with their top hats and monocles.
  • We've had Oreos in the UK for about 4 years or so, I'm not sure where ABC got this news from. They're ok dipped in tea though. Milk not so much.
  • That's hilarious, but also an interesting cultural experiment. Seeing as how in England you have biscuits with tea, while we Americans have cookies with milk. I'm curious if its an actual genetic thing with our taste buds, or if its merely a social thing from growing up in one place or another.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm curious if its an actual genetic thing with our taste buds, or if its merely a social thing from growing up in one place or another.
    Definitely genetic. The UK and the US are both very homogeneous gene pools.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Screw that, I'll stick to my classic British Rich tea, Custard Creams and Jaffa Cake. Man I'm hungry now :D
  • edited May 2008
    Seeing as how in England you have biscuits with tea, while we Americans have cookies with milk.
    I'm an American who dips Oreos in chai, so ha.
    Post edited by Alex on
  • Seeing as how in England you have biscuits with tea, while we Americans have cookies with milk.
    Chai is awesome!
  • This article gives me the impression that the Britain 'biscuit' is completely different from our cookie.. They're not snack foods - they seem to be...well, food. Most of the ones they describe sound like crackers or hardened bread things.
  • When they talked about NPR, they interviewed a guy who was in the UK dipping his oreos in his tea.

I couldn't stop laughing.
  • There is no biscuit that compares to the Jaffa Cake in my book.
  • Seeing as how in England you have biscuits with tea, while we Americans have cookies with milk.
    That sounds really really good. Any particular variety of chai?
  • That sounds really really good. Any particular variety of chai?
    "500 Mile" chai

The site linked to there has a lot of good stuff; it's where I get most of my loose-leaf teas.
  • Oreos are another one of those snacks I loved as a kid but now can't eat more than a couple of.
  • Tell you what, I don't give a damn whether the Brits like Oreos or not. As long as we can all agree on the difference between cookies and biscuits, then we're cool. Biscuits are flaky pastries. Cookies are little snacks, sometimes with chocolate chips.
  • Its all about interpretation. I've never know a biscuit to be a flaky pastry (see here). I very rarely use the term cookie unless it is prefaced by chocolate-chip.
  • edited May 2008
    The site linked to there has a lot of good stuff; it's where I get most of my loose-leaf teas.
    You should check out SpecialTeas. I find their prices to be quite reasonable.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I think it is funny that some Brits see this as a cultural invasion. I mean, it isn't like we haven't been sharing products between our two nations since, you know, we were colonies. It is delightfully silly and oh, so French of them. ^_~
  • I think it is funny that some Brits see this as a cultural invasion. I mean, it isn't like we haven't been sharing products between our two nations since, you know, we were colonies. It is delightfully silly and oh, so French of them. ^_~
    Yeah, it's funny. We didn't reject their music because it was British, but they're going to reject our cookies because they are American. What's good is good, and what's bad is bad. If you are prejudiced against something because of country of origin, that's only going to hurt yourself. Ask any company that has "It wasn't made here" syndrome.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm not a huge Oreo fan, but I have made a homemade version of them that rocks my socks. I will post it in the recipe thread when I get home. Also, British biscuits aren't usually the kind of cookies I go for unless I am having them with tea in particular. Usually when I want a cookie, I am looking for a rich, salty-sweet chocolate-chip cookie the size of my palm.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Okay, first off, you damned Brits gave us the Beatles, which were bad enough when they lost their shit and started talking about yellow submarines and such nonsense. But then they brought us Yoko Ono, the most annoying bitches of all time. We are letting you limey bastards off easy by giving you delicious Oreo cookies, and expecting you to dunk them in milk. So stop your damned complaining.
  • Okay, first off, you damned Brits gave us the Beatles, which were bad enough when they lost their shit and started talking about yellow submarines and such nonsense. But then they brought us Yoko Ono, the most annoying bitches of all time. We are letting you limey bastards off easy by giving you delicious Oreo cookies, and expecting you to dunk them in milk. So stop your damned complaining.
    The Beatles were great, and the UK did, you know, create the majority of our nation, its culture, and its language ... so... Oreos are a bit weak comparatively.
  • Brits gave us the Beatles, which were bad enough when they lost their shit and started talking about yellow submarines and such nonsense.
    You mean the absolute best Beatles period? Glass Onion? Strawberry Fields? Revolution? Golden Slumbers? Blackbird? While My Guitar Gently Weeps?
  • Biscuits are for breakfast (unless you are at Cracker Barrel or KFC), and cookies are for dessert.
  • Just a question for British people, what are these to you?
  • Just a question for British people, what aretheseto you?
    They do not know what those are. They have scones instead, remember?
  • And now we have to do the "how do you pronounce scones" argument. It rhymes with bones, not with tons.
  • And now we have to do the "how do you pronounce scones" argument. It rhymes with bones, not with tons.
    You are correct. However, I have never heard anyone pronounce the word improperly. I think it is safe to assume you've had a different experience.