This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How to get rid of smoke

edited June 2008 in Everything Else
I was listening to some podcasts, just screwing around with a lighter and a smoke bomb in my room, and I accidentally lit it. I ran into my bathroom and threw it into the sink before too much smoke got out, but there is still quite a bit. Also, blue stuff spattered all over my walls when I threw it in the sink.

What do I do? (Parents come home in 2 hours)

Comments

• Open all the windows and run around with a fan? Try to repaint your walls? You are pretty much fucked I think. Take this as a lesson not to use fireworks in your house.
  • Don't play with fire and smoke bombs inside dumbass.

People, you have to understand this. There are problems, and there are consequences. Don't ask for solutions to consequences, there is no such thing. Consequences are things you can not avoid. Just face up to them, because you have no other choice. If you have a problem that might lead to undesirable consequences, feel free to ask for help making a decision. If you've already chosen your path, and it's going nowhere good, just keep walking to the next fork in the road.
  • Febreeze might work with the smoke. As for the blue stuff, let's just hope it washes off fairly easy.

I'm sorry, but I will admit, that I was laughing for a few minutes from reading your post. I really don't understand how you can screw around with a lighter and a smoke bomb and not expect for bad things to happen.

Good luck.
  • I'd try to get the color off with a damp cold towel.
  • edited June 2008
    Don't play with fire and smoke bombs inside dumbass.

People, you have to understand this. There are problems, and there are consequences. Don't ask for solutions to consequences, there is no such thing. Consequences are things you can not avoid. Just face up to them, because you have no other choice. If you have a problem that might lead to undesirable consequences, feel free to ask for help making a decision. If you've already chosen your path, and it's going nowhere good, just keep walking to the next fork in the road.
    You aren't wrong... and yet you are.
    Sure, there are problems, and there are consequences, and consequences are unavoidable.
    However, consequences can be problems too.
    Sure, if you're intelligent, you'll consider consequences as an extension of the original problem, and attempt to find a way to mitigate the consequences before taking that course of action. Even if you don't, though, trying to handle the consequences after you've triggered them can be important.

In other words, in this case, playing with smoke bomb + fire => release of smoke + blue colour.
    However, Eric's parents finding out was not an unavoidable consequence.
    Sure, it is becoming more unavoidable with the passage of time, especially since Eric was unprepared - but it wasn't something that just had to be "faced up to"
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'd try to get the color off with a damp cold towel.
    That didn't work.
  • edited June 2008
    I'd try to get the color off with a damp cold towel.
    That didn't work.
    Then it won't come off any other way. Is it your bathroom or does it belong to your Parents/ Family.

EDIT: Damn you Joe!
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • This works great for wall stains.
    Really? Do you think it will work on mildew on a painted bathroom wall?
    You are my best friend. Thanks for you help everyone, I managed to get most of the smoke out and I'm on my way to Walgreens right now.
    My parents recently had my half-brother and his family over. One of my nieces got a hold of a permanent marker and decided to draw a mural on the wall. We freaked out, but my half-brother bought one of those and took out all the permanent marker stains. I never really heard of it before, but I was amazed and how well it worked.
  • That didn't work.
    Then you're probably boned. Try a multi-surface cleaner (discretely somewhere hidden first, in case it stains or otherwise causes other problems). Failing that, you'll need something that can't be obtained quickly enough. Try to come up with a story about where the blue came from (spilled paint or something).

As for the smoke, turn on the attic fan if you have one. If you have central air and no attic fan, you're largely boned. Burn some incense to cover the smell (though your parents may well think you're covering a smoking habit).

You're pretty-much boned. ^_~
    Really? Do you think it will work on mildew on a painted bathroom wall?
    So far, it's worked on just about everything I've wanted to clean. It's a product that actually does what it says it will do.
  • I don't think it would if the mildew comes from inside the wall. The eraser just looks like a block of super-fine sand paper that scratches off the top layer of whatever.
  • edited June 2008
    Don't play with fire and smoke bombs inside dumbass.

Scott's tirade about "problems" and "consequences" is still pissing me off.
    Either what he was saying is not as straightforward as he would have you believe, OR
    He's saying that you should only handle issues that aren't your fault...

I'll stick with the former - it is not as clear-cut as Scott makes it out to be.
    "Problem" and "Consequence", at least without a clear-cut definition, are not mutually exclusive.

If there is indeed a chance of hiding the evidence of a smoke bomb going off, then the smoke bomb going off was a problem as well as a consequence.
    Why? Although it was caused by Eric's actions (i.e. a consequence), it is a problem in the sense of what he should do to clean it up.

Sure, if Eric can't clean it up, then he does indeed need to accept it, but I can't say that is inevitable just yet.
  • Ok, I might be doing it wrong, but the magic erasers didn't work either. Is there some special technique I have to do or something?
  • edited June 2008
    Well, while I hold that it's possible to set off a smoke bomb but prevent one's parents from finding out about it 2 hours later,
    it looks like Eric probably won't manage.

Also: keep rubbing, and hard.
  • Ok, I completely removed the blue after scrubbing the ever living fuck out of my walls. This was the main part though, it literally looked like I painted my walls fluorescent blue around the sink because it exploded when I threw it in. I opened all the windows in the house (97 F) and have all the fans running. Hopefully the smoke will clear out.

Things are looking good.
  • Why? Although it was caused by Eric's actions (i.e. aconsequence), it is aproblemin the sense of what he should do to clean it up.
    I'm not denying that it may, in some cases, be possible to dodge or mitigate consequences. What I'm saying is that you should not always do so. Cleaning up the mess is clearly a noble endeavor, but even if the mess is completely cleared, you should still fess up.
  • edited June 2008
    Things are looking good.
    Good for you. Spray some Febreze, NeutraAir, Glade, and/or Lysol.
    Cleaning up the mess is clearly a noble endeavor, but even if the mess is completely cleared, you should still fess up.
    What would that accomplish other than causing strife that could be avoided?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • What would that accomplish other than causing strife that could be avoided?
    Instilling trust with your parents which can be used to exploit them later on.
  • edited June 2008
    but even if the mess is completely cleared, you should still fess up.
    What has that got to do with "accepting the consequences"?

In any case, I'd say there is reason to confess. In particular, if there is something your parents may notice, or something out of place, your best bet is to confess.
    Even in the absence of something like that, trust is a good thing, as Andrew has said.
  • edited June 2008
    What would that accomplish other than causing strife that could be avoided?
    If they're very rational, maybe. It's more likely that it would turn out to be another "Remember when you were being a little bastard" stories.

As in:

"Dad, can I go get some fireworks?"

"No, remember when you set some off in the house? You little bastard."

or

"Dad, I want to major in Chemistry."

"Why? So you can ruin the walls of the University like you ruined our walls that time you set off a firework in the house? You little bastard."
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited June 2008
    QFT
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • If the wall surface has been scrubbed really hard, it may need repainting.
  • not to use fireworks in your house.
    a smoke bomb
    Smoke bomb != Fireworks. Smoke bombs are a LOT safer. Though messy...

Also, as a tip, next time something like this happens- throw it out a window. For just being a smoke bomb, that wouldn't be that big of a deal, really.
  • edited June 2008
    Sorry dude, but my friend and I just laughed like hell at this.

Anyway you might get off scott free if they don't notice. If they do you could say you tried to fix it best as you could. Don't say it was because of a smoke bomb.

Seriously dude. WTF!Who the heck does that.
    but even if the mess is completely cleared, you should still fess up.
    Honesty is good. But if you could get away with it fuck that shit.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited June 2008
    Don't ask for solutions to consequences, there is no such thing.
    Hypothetical Problem: I smoked and in consequence got potentially fatal lung cancer. This consequence causes a fresh problem, that of my possible death. Should I quit smoking, and get the medical treatment that could save me, or should I simply accept the consequences of my actions and wait for my death?

If I manage to beat the cancer, quit smoking and basically regain full health, I have found a solution to this negative consequence.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • This thread make me laugh so loud. The title alone is silly, I mean, what about letting it escape outside? That's one way to get rid of the smoke. Anyways...
    Things are looking good.
    Good to hear, though that same sentence makes me feel sad.