This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

European Championship 2008

2»

Comments

• Go Russia!
    Well deserved yes. Once again Guus Hiddink does it, coaching an underdog team and getting through to at least the semi-finals. Ah well, the Netherlands is gone, it's sad, I'd rather had that we didn't have to play Russia, but sadly no. I do think they should've switched the semi-finals up. Now a team will only meet a team from the other two groups (team from A or B meeting a team from C or D for example) in the Finals. Either way, it's a very interesting tournament with the favorites already all being knocked out (not counting Germany) in their first match after the group matches.

Question, who dares predict the winners of the upcoming 3 games?
  • Leipzig city is a hell hole at the moment. It was MUCH louder than during the World Cup.
    Klagenfurt was really quiet.
  • No wonder... ^_~
  • I was in Leipzig this time last week. My girlfriend and I looked all over the place for a restaurant that wasn't showing the game and had the food we wanted. In the end we found a pizza and pasta place which had the TV turned low and a balcony where you couldn't see a screen. That part was quite crowded compared to the rest of the restaurant due to people trying to avoid the football.
  • I was in Leipzig this time last week. My girlfriend and I looked all over the place for a restaurant that wasn't showing the game and had the food we wanted. In the end we found a pizza and pasta place which had the TV turned low and a balcony where you couldn't see a screen. That part was quite crowded compared to the rest of the restaurant due to people trying to avoid the football.
    I find it such a coincidence to find someone on this forum who was in Leipzig. ^_~ I suppose Bachfest?
  • edited June 2008
    Question, who dares predict the winners of the upcoming 3 games?
    Spain vs Italy -> Italy: It's probably going to be a no goal match for most of the game, Italy will probably win by the bare minimum ( 1 goal). If it comes to penalties it'll be over for Spain

Germany vs Turkey -> Turkey: I'll go with the underdog here of course. Football is a lot about luck and momentum and these team has both now, we'll probably get lots of goals but no penalties.

Russia vs Italy -> Italy: I think the Russian fairytale will probably end here. Italy is a more dangerous team, even if Russia plays their hearth out, the Italians are probably going to get advantage early on the game.
    Post edited by Double Z on
    I find it such a coincidence to find someone on this forum who was in Leipzig. ^_~ I suppose Bachfest?
    Nope, I was invited by another artist to see a show at the Krystalpalast Variete. The show wasn't that great.
  • edited June 2008
    I'm just going to say one thing:

Show me another sport that brings and unifies entire nations in one single voice and universal language of "GOAL!!!" nowhere have I've seen such passion, love and devotion so alike that even the most different of cultures can unite in a single game of soccer, scream, cheer and cry, all as brothers.

If you don't understand what I'm saying or find it dumb, then you don't know what soccer is.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • It doesn't unify entire nations. It unifies a whole load of loud people, but believe me, a huge proportion of the population are just rolling their eyes.
  • It doesn't unify entire nations. It unifies a whole load of loud people, but believe me, a huge proportion of the population are just rolling their eyes.
    You are wrong!
    Also, Russian defeated the Dutch 3-1
    That was a very interesting match.
    You are wrong!
    Though it may unify nations, it mostly doesn't last longer than a few hours.
    You are wrong!
    Though it may unify nations, it mostly doesn't last longer than a few hours.
    And for that little time is magical :P
  • Or absolutely horrifying. ^_~
    You are wrong!
    Thanks for that interesting argument.

I chat to my friends back in the UK every day and most of them, even the football fans, say it is much more pleasant this summer because England isn't taking part in an international tournament. I think that says how much football "unites a nation" when even football fans are happier without it.
  • I chat to my friends back in the UK every day and most of them, even the football fans, say it is much more pleasant this summer because England isn't taking part in an international tournament.
    Maybe they were worried England would do terrible at the tournament, so not having to worry about that makes them happy.

I do think soccer unites a nation for a few hours, just like any tournament where nations compete. Maybe the right thing to say is how international football tournaments like these unite fanboys. It doesn't mater who is your favorite team, or how much you hate the other guy for being a fan of a different team but once your nation's team plays then its all fanboys united as one.
  • Or absolutely horrifying. ^_~
    Well, like everything it depends on the match :P
    For example a couple of days ago I watched Argentina vs Brazil and it was horrifyingly boring. Also, it is hilarious when people get super angry over a soccer match :P
  • I chat to my friends back in the UK every day and most of them, even the football fans, say it is much more pleasant this summer because England isn't taking part in an international tournament.
    Maybe they were worried England would do terrible at the tournament, so not having to worry about that makes them happy.
    Nope. Not having to put up with football on the TV 24 7 makes them happy. Not having every single advert about every single product being tied to football makes them happy. Not having to constantly hear from pundits about the chances of England winning makes them happy. Not having to avoid going out in the night England plays in case the lose and the neighborhood is filled with drunk idiots pissed off at the world makes them happy. Not having their nationalism, patriotism, masculinity or worth as human being questioned when they mention their non-interest in football makes them happy.

All these and many other things make them very happy. It really has nothing to do with worry at all.
    Nope. Not having to put up with football on the TV 24 7 makes them happy. Not having every single advert about every single product being tied to football makes them happy. Not having to constantly hear from pundits about the chances of England winning makes them happy. Not having to avoid going out in the night England plays in case the lose and the neighborhood is filled with drunk idiots pissed off at the world makes them happy. Not having their nationalism, patriotism, masculinity or worth as human being questioned when they mention their non-interest in football makes them happy.

All these and many other things make them very happy. It really has nothing to do with worry at all.
    Wow, football seems to be really different in your neck of the woods, here (Costa Rica) even though there are similar problems (as the country basically standing still every time the the national team plays an important game), everything is a bit more laid back, some take it too seriously some others don't. But it's usually a positive atmosphere.

As for the uniting of the nations, I really meant that its kinda like a universal sport, its played around the world, and the fact that you only need 1 ball (any kind as long as it's spherical) an open space and a few stones to mark the the goal zones, makes for a cheap and easy game, the rules are simple and its fun to play. Same thing doesn't really happen with other sports, like rugby, hockey, football, cricket, polo. The only exceptions to that would be basketball, volleyball, tennis and golf, but they don't seem to be as popular. The only other sport that's really popular and probably practiced around the world would be boxing, MMA or regular Martial arts.

But then again, I'm being subjective to my experience, so, be sure to add or correct me based upon yours.
  • Nope. Not having to put up with football on the TV 24 7 makes them happy. Not having every single advert about every single product being tied to football makes them happy. Not having to constantly hear from pundits about the chances of England winning makes them happy. Not having to avoid going out in the night England plays in case the lose and the neighborhood is filled with drunk idiots pissed off at the world makes them happy. Not having their nationalism, patriotism, masculinity or worth as human being questioned when they mention their non-interest in football makes them happy.
    Right there are all examples of how a nation is "united." United as assholes, but united nonetheless.
    I completely see your point but like I mentioned it unites the fanboys, regular fans will know when to be or not to be excited about a game, regular fans might get fed up.
  • Spain win a penalty shoot out!
    Good to see the cheating and negative Italians go out though, this tournament is Spain's for the taking now although Russia did look good last night.
  • I really wanna see Russia vs Turkey :D