This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What would you do if you got transported to the middle ages?

13»

Comments

• When I go back, I'm going to leave a message with Joe telling him to post in this thread about a guy he met when he was young who became the greatest knight ever and that his name was Andrew.
  • This is all highly dependant on where you appear in Europe in 1000....
    No, unless you're talking about what was left of Rome or small port cities on the strait of Gibraltor or other southern tips or Europe. It was the Dark Ages, the only people writing stuff down were monks/priests who wrote almost nothing concerning history unless they were copying the bible. There are very few, if not any, writings from that time in Europe, meaning they weren't very sophisticated.
  • If I don't die immediately, I'd journey to the Roman Empire (Constantinople), try to get in with the power structure, and introduce some basic modern conveniences (hey, they already bathe!). Things like the assembly line, steam power, and even scissors would speed up the evolution of technology immensely. Afterwards, the empire would re-invade the west, setting up a glorious second Roman Empire that would last for a long time.
  • edited June 2008
    When I go back, I'm going to leave a message with Joe telling him to post in this thread about a guy he met when he was young who became the greatest knight ever and that his name was Andrew.
    Now that you say that, I totally remember it. I haven't thought about that in years. I got a lot of juice because of that story. After many retellings, however, people started calling you Arthur.
    I know people who would survive just fine. So I'd really need a team. Have 3 other people of my choosing immediately helps the situation dramatically. Barring that, I would try to get a friend as soon as possible. I like the juggling idea. But really, whatever it would take. With modern clothes, you'd almost be better off naked and then feigning robbery.
    Carol and I talked about things like this when we watched Frontier House. I have some relatives that would be able to pick up life in the 1880s without missing a beat.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited June 2008
    If I don't die immediately, I'd journey to the Roman Empire (Constantinople), try to get in with the power structure, and introduce some basic modern conveniences (hey, they already bathe!). Things like the assembly line, steam power, and even scissors would speed up the evolution of technology immensely. Afterwards, the empire would re-invade the west, setting up a glorious second Roman Empire that would last for a long time.
    That would not be the Roman Empire, that'd be silly Constantinople. Anyways they tried that and failed. The only way would be to restart the Roman Empire would be to restart Rome and kick out those Mongols who had put pressure on the Germanic tribes who attacked Rome.
    Post edited by Magnum_Opus on
  • This is all highly dependant on where you appear in Europe in 1000....
    No, unless you're talking about what was left of Rome or small port cities on the strait of Gibraltor or other southern tips or Europe. It was the Dark Ages, the only people writing stuff down were monks/priests who wrote almost nothing concerning history unless they were copying the bible. There are very few, if not any, writings from that time in Europe, meaning they weren't very sophisticated.
    Uhhh... There were actually some significant technological improvements during the "Dark Ages" (mostly in metalworking and agriculture).
  • When I go back, I'm going to leave a message with Joe telling him to post in this thread about a guy he met when he was young who became the greatest knight ever and that his name was Andrew.
    Hey, when you go back, can you remember to hide my car keys behind the bush in my front yard so I don't get locked out that one time in 2002? That would be great. WYLD STALYNS!!!!
  • edited June 2008
    Hey, when you go back, can you remember to hide my car keys behind the bush in my front yard so I don't get locked out that one time in 2002? That would be great. WYLD STALYNS!!!!
    [insert air guitar motions here]

Remember a trash can. Remember a trash can!
    San Dimas High School Football Rules!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Also, I think I know how to survive after arrival. I only need to find HungryJoe.
    Kom wit me if you vant to liff.
  • edited June 2008
    Uhhh... There were actually some significant technological improvements during the "Dark Ages" (mostly in metalworking and agriculture).
    Like?
    Post edited by Magnum_Opus on
  • Quote Monty Python and laugh until someone decides to kill me?
  • Quote Monty Python and laugh until someone decides to kill me?
    I love this answer!
  • Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

'nuff said.