This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Athleticism

RymRym
edited June 2008 in Everything Else
Are you athletic? Do you exercise or take part in sports?

I'm just curious, and looking for future episode/blog fodder, since there seems to be a sad correlation between geekery and ill health and an aversion to sunlight or physical competition.

Comments

• I voted "Very." I'm a genki genki person! I like running and biking and doing situps and being outside! I'm guessing Rym is "extremely" because he runs all the way to the highway, whereas my usual route is 2 miles. I want to start karate class again...
  • edited June 2008
    I went with Very, because my job involves 7-10 hours a day, 4-5 days a week of moderate physical exertion. 12 months ago I would have voted "Somewhat", thanks to regular gym visits, but 12 months before that, sedentary. Definitely sedentary.
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • I don't know what I should answer, currently I drive my bike through the city to my uni building from the train station, but that's because the busses are on strike. Though since today they have been forced to drive during rush hour, which sucks either way. Outside of that I do not do much. So I don't know what I should pick, I was thinking one of the lowest three options.

Though I do agree that there is a correlation between geekdom and fitness.
  • I go rock climbing for two hours every day.
  • I train Muay Thai 4-5 times a week, and usually work out every day on top of that.
  • When I was younger, I was obliged to participate in farm labor that would often be very physically demanding. Also, being mostly raised on that farm, we were extremely isolated. I never even saw a baseball, football, or basketball before I entered grammar school. Because of that, my skill level was nowhere near the other kids, and I never caught up. I paid dearly for the terrible sin of not being able to play ball for the rest of grammar school and for the entirety of high school.

Now I live about a block from a stadium where hundreds of people pay good money to watch grown men wearing pajamas chase a goddamned ball around a field, for which feat these men are paid millions of dollars.

So I do not like the sports very much. Thus, I will not play the sports.
  • When I was younger, I was obliged to participate in farm labor that would often be very physically demanding. Also, being mostly raised on that farm, we were extremely isolated. I never even saw a baseball, football, or basketball before I entered grammar school. Because of that, my skill level was nowhere near the other kids, and I never caught up. I paid dearly for the terrible sin of not being able to play ball for the rest of grammar school and for the entirety of high school.

Now I live about a block from a stadium where hundreds of people pay good money to watch grown men wearing pajamas chase a goddamned ball around a field, for which feat these men are paid millions of dollars.

There are other things you can do like riding bikes, rock climbing, hiking, martial arts, and a whole variety that don't involve teams or competition. Try some form of exercise that is singular, you might like it.
  • I've recently changed my sedentary lifestyle to being more active due to weight gain. -_-

I try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio at the gym at my apartment, then I will work out for at least 30 minutes to an hour worth of Wii Fit minutes. I do this at least 5 times a week.

At work, my coworkers and I will either climb stairs on our breaks and/or go to the gym here for our lunch breaks. I havne't done extra physical activities during my work day other than walking down to the local store which is about 1/2 mile. I will be climbing the stairs again soon.
    Our work also encourages walking and exercising. We have a Move/Walk Program where employees are encouraged to take 1/2 hour to go walk with the Director of the VA. I probably will take up on that again when then weather gets nicer.

Also with better weather coming, we have tennis courts at my apartment and my boyfriend wants to start playing.

With trying to incorporate more physical activities now, I really don't have much time to play video games as much, including WoW. However, I haven't really had any urge to play, which is fine with me. I actually want to play more console games.
    Though I do agree that there is a correlation between geekdom and fitness.
  • I would define this as reaching your optimum heart rate for at least five minutes, or at least twenty minutes of vigorous activity. If you don't break a sweat, it doesn't count.

There are other things you can do like riding bikes, rock climbing, hiking, martial arts, and a whole variety that don't involve teams or competition. Try some form of exercise that is singular, you might like it.
    All that, except for the martial arts, is too much like work. Seriously, I had to do real, manual labor in which there was not only the likelihood that I would end up tired and sore, but that I would end up hurt as well. Have you ever had a horse step on you, or bite you, or strike you with its front hooves? I've had all of those things happen to me, as well as falling off barn roofs, having a tractor run over my foot, and a few other things.

After that part of my life was over, I happily resigned myself to no further undue exertions.
  • I drive to and from school (ca. 10 km) every day, so that forces me to exercise since I always wake up way too late. Otherwise I never drive with the bus, tram or car, but always try to take the bike or just walk. Which only really works since I basically live down town.

I don't find doing any kind of regular sport fun. I just try to do as much sport as it takes to "feel good" and not be totally overweight. ^_~
  • edited June 2008
    For about ten years of my life I swam at the highest level. Two to three thousand yard practices were normal and often practices took around two hours of straight cardio in addition to weight lifting exercises. Some days we would pull two of these practices a day. Since I've left high school, I haven't even come close to working out at such a level and I suppose I would classify myself somewhere between somewhat and very.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I walk to work, take 1-2 classes of Budo Taijutsu per week, and go to the gym on Sunday mornings.
  • I'm a college athlete. 6 days a week, usually twice a day. Also, National championship last weekend.
    I never even saw a baseball, football, or basketball before I entered grammar school.
    That's because they weren't invented yet.
  • edited June 2008
    I don't train every single day, but usually at least 6 days a week. This involves about 2 hours every day of physical activity that really gets my heart going. On top of that I meet with friends 3 or 4 times a week for combat sessions, which is much more energetic than you would imagine. The idea behind combat is "the last person juggling wins" and team combat takes it to another more tactical level. It might not look like much hard work, but the constant movement really gets to you. Here is a video I made from a game on Tuesday:

Combat is the only weapons based martial art (that I know of) where the goal is not to attack the other person's body but their weapon... but aside from the pacifist undertones it is the only martial art at which I regularly do well at in competitions.

PS. I think this poll is going to be very self selected though, as people show off how much working out they do.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • That's because they weren't invented yet.
    Nice one!
  • Does drumming in Rock Band or Wii Fit count?
    Dance Dance Revolution counts.
  • edited June 2008
    I try to run and lift weights at least a few times a week. Not getting to as much as I'd like to lately. No time. When I had more time, I also trained muay thai and Brazilian jiujitsu. Once I have time, I'll probably start jiujitsu again. I never did anything athletic until I was about 23, though, when I got sick of being fat. As for aversion to sunlight, though -- I work nights, and I'm lucky if I get 15 minutes a day.
    take 1-2 classes of Budo Taijutsu per week,
    Any martial art that involves dick severance is too hardcore for me.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
    edited June 2008
    I would define this as reaching your optimum heart rate for at least five minutes, or at least twenty minutes of vigorous activity. If you don't break a sweat, it doesn't count.
    I'll pick Somewhat then. From train station to uni takes about 15-20-ish minutes when pedaling hard.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited June 2008
    peddling hard
    ROFL.
    If you keep stopping to sell shit to people, it's not particularly good physical activity.

Peddling != pedaling.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    edited June 2008
    peddling hard
    ROFL.
    If you keep stopping to sell shit to people, it's not particularly good physical activity.

Peddling != pedaling.
    DOH. Stupid typo. Fixed.

EDIT: Though, if I were to be stopping to sell stuff along the way I'd probably pedal at about 50mph if I were to drive it in 20 minutes.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Does Wii fit count?

Growing up as the youngest of three boys I had to learn how to be fast because my brothers would always have several years of muscle mass more than I. My athleticism is in the speed and agility category much more so than physical strength.

I never had a problem running while in the service but sit-ups and push-ups were a constant pain in the ass for me.
    Dance Dance Revolution counts.
    Changing my vote since it counts!
  • edited June 2008
    I Parkour almost daily.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • I voted Very simply because of my job. I haven't broken a sweat there in a while. I didn't put down Extreme because I haven't done much beyond what I do there. A year or so ago I was going to the gym as well, and if I had more time I would again.
  • I go to the gym about 2-3 times per week, ride my bike places (well, not in the summer. too hot...). I generally walk long distances (2 miles or so at a time) with some regularity.

I need to take up martial arts / kendo again. Can't wait for the RIT Kendo Club!
  • I go to the YMCA near my house several times a week, I dance, and I run about the house naked. I would like to do more weight lifting, but I find I need cardio more (as I haven't lost my muscle mass and strength from my wrestling days).
  • edited June 2008
    I put somewhat.

I mean, I go and play DDR and ITG at least 1-2 times per week. I usually play like $5 (.75/round...so 6-7 rounds...so 18-21 songs) worth at the arcade and usually end up sweating my balls off...

Also, at work, that's 5ish hours of standing, occasionally going outside and moving the carts around, which CAN be a bit of a workout, depending on how hot it is and how many carts are outside...
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Any martial art that involves dick severance is too hardcore for me.
    What the hell are you talking about?