This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Athleticism

Comments

• I was used to running a mile in the six minute range.
    Is this considered super fast?
  • I was used to running a mile in the six minute range.
    Is this considered super fast?
    I'm not sure. I know the fastest runner I knew in the service was in the 5-minute mile range. I usualy finished the two-mile run in under 12 minutes but I don't think I ever got under 11 minutes.

Ask Rym, he probably knows.
  • Is this considered super fast?
    It depends. 6:00 isn't super fast, but it means you're in shape. On a high school track team, 5:00-5:15 would probably be a good time. Our state record is 4:01. Cross country meets are 5k, or 3.1 miles, and you need to go sub-6 minute miles to get a respectable time.
  • I play ice hockey and sometimes run outside (being in Miami, running outside is a pain). I'm not incredibly healthy since I do not have a perfect diet, but I don't eat candy at all, which is a plus. Ice Hockey and running when I'm back home are my only workouts, even then I don't measure myself, I just run till I get tired. I don't record goals and try to beat them the next day or maintain a certain level of Athleticism, I just do it casually.
  • edited June 2008
    Well, if you mean "frustrated and fiercely competitive" then yes, yes they do. I book up the mountain when I am with Rym. However, it used to be that if I couldn't keep up, a little seed of resentment would blossom deep in my heart and I would be like "No! I can't lose! Oh man he's still beating me DAMMIT! ARGH!" Running with someone makes me faster but I have a better time by myself.
    Oh I know this feeling so well. When I was in high school, I was on the football team. During tryouts and the pre-season, we had to run across the football field. The loudest thought in my mind was "Fuck this, I Will Not Be Out Run By a Jock!"

I was the fastest one on the team but then again I was 180 and had big thighs from biking. Everyone else was 200+.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I was the fastest one on the team but then again I was 180 and had big thighs from biking. Everyone else was 200+.
    I did not get my license to drive until I was 23. When I was in high school I had a crappy ten speed bike that was stuck in tenth gear. Because of these two things I had awesome leg strength.

Sometimes, if I just missed the bus, I would run the quarter or half mile between bus stops before the bus would make it to the next stop and get on. This did not always work but it did most of the time.
  • Hmm. I put down 'very' but I don't do anything 'hardcore'. I walk to the bus stop on my way to work during the week and I walk during my lunch every day unless it's raining. I usually walk 6 miles a day during the work week and then sit on my ass during the weekend. I'm not sure I qualify as athletic but my legs are ace. ;-)
  • I voted "Barely", because I started running with my roommate some time back. Since then I have run with him less and less. Running is boring to me, but once I find motivation to run again, I will.
  • I voted extremely. I try to get some sort of substantial training in at least six times a week. Cycling, TKD, and Parkour are what I do most of the time.
  • I voted extremely because I play rugby. We have practice twice a week for about 2 1/2 hours and on every other day I will jog, play DDR, or Wii Fit. Plus I chase my baby sister around and throw her around.
  • Extremely, as I ride the bike for a hard workout everyday (except Friday) and play soccer on Sundays. I also try to do situps and various exercises everyday.
  • New York City and the daily commute in from Long Island is a daily exercise ritual in itself. Add to that the weekends and softball, football (or as my American counterparts say, soccer) league, and trips to the library, I find my lifestyle taxing enough so that the treadmill is catching dust in the basement.
  • I would say extremely, mainly because it is summer, and I'm training for my black belt in Tae Kwon Do. That pretty much means constant physical activity for me (Unless I'm on the computer, which is in the evening, or the morning, an possibly during lunch). Before I was invited to test, I wish I could say I was extremely active, but homework kept me down to very, with two classes of Tae Kwon Do each week. Outside of Tae Kwon Do training, I try to ride my bike at least three miles a day. What else? Oh yeah, me and my friends do a little bit of parkour every now and then, so that's fun. Wow, I just looked upwards in the thread, and saw Günter basically said what I did in 2 sentences. Alright, that's about it.
  • I would say extremely, mainly because it is summer, and I'm training for my black belt in Tae Kwon Do.
    How long have you been doing TKD? I've been at it almost 10 years now and I've earned a 2nd degree black belt. I'll be testing for my 3rd soon, and it's about damn time I suppose.
  • How long have you been doing TKD? I've been at it almost 10 years now and I've earned a 2nd degree black belt. I'll be testing for my 3rd soon, and it's about damn time I suppose.
    I've been doing TKD for about 7 or 8 years, but I had a bit of a break for about a year around 2 years because I was really busy with my school's play. That's cool that you're testing for third dan. With the way my luck is going, it'll be at least 7 more years before I test for third (smiley emoticon).
  • I'd consider myself reasonable athletic. I might make it to the gym once a week (if that, sometimes), but I do try to live an active life in other ways. For example, I try to walk a lot. Anytime walking somewhere is a reasonable alternative to driving, I will walk it. If I go to a big strip mall, I'll try to walk between stores rather then move my car. When I take my dog for a walk I try to get in at least fifteen minutes of walking.

This might not seem like a lot of activity, but it does add up over time. It's certainly not a strenuous cardio workout but it still is burning calories. I also try to eat reasonably heathly (ie rarely get fast food, cut down soda intake, etc.), which is a bit outside the poll but worth noting.
  • I've been using a little grip strength trainer for many years, periodically raising the resistance as my grip strength increased. A few weeks ago, I had raised it to the maximum.

Yesterday, I squeezed it, and it exploded. I blew it up. Pieces everywhere.

Right now, I feel like Superman.
  • I've been falling more and more out of shape recently. Thanks to the multitude of infections, unavoidable injuries and my recent attempts at changing my sleep schedule I've been unable to get regular exercise for months now. I really need to get back into it; after all these years it feel very strange not to work out.
  • I impressed my boss by carrying three boxes of paper at once from one side of the office to another and then repeating the activity 4 more times.
    No back injuries, either!
  • edited September 2009
    many years
    Yesterday, I squeezed it, and itexploded. I blew it up. Pieces everywhere.
    Sounds like the years of wear finally made it break. The real test is to buy a new one and then have it explode ~_^
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • If you are looking for a replacement grip trainer, Captains of Crush has grip trainers that go up to 365 lbs of resistance. If you can close their highest one I will acknowledge that your forearms have reached the level of minor deities.
  • Dear Penthouse Forum,
    I never thought it would happen to me.
    Yesterday, I squeezed it, and it exploded. I blew it up. Pieces everywhere.
  • /Lazy Bastard.
  • A little running, a lot of walking, Parkour, and some martial arts where I can.

I also used to play baseball, First for Logan, then for Carina. I also played with the Rams(State team), but it was just before I stopped playing, because I was getting rather annoyed by the fact I was doing nothing but Baseball, High School, and Work, and I was running myself absolutely ragged - though admittedly, I did keep up a bit of casual practice, and occasionally helped out mates when I could with just being an extra hand coaching younger kids.
    I'm oddly proud of the fact that I can still throw a pretty decent fastball - when I last clocked it, not long before I left Australia, I was still throwing about 77 MPH.
  • I put down very. I work out 3 times a week a mixture of weight training/Boxing.
  • So, I have being running for a long time now. I normally run 3 to 4 times a week. It really helps me relax. However, with the winter weather coming to Virginia I find it harder and harder to go an have a good run. I really do not like to go to gyms, you might say that I like to train on the wilderness :P . So what is the best thing to wear while running during winter?
    I am also about to finish week # 5 of the "one hundred push ups" web site. Today I was able to finish 50 push ups which makes me feel pretty awesome.
    Now I am also starting to do jump rope training. I need to work on my balance though ;P
  • So what is the best thing to wear while running during winter?
    Wrong forum.
  • edited November 2009
    So what is the best thing to wear while running during winter?
    Well, less than you think. I was running last year, in the worst winter there has been in Yorkshire for 15 years(Or so I was lead to believe) and I just wore thicker socks than normal, and kept my regular exercise pants and singlet. I found anything heavier kept me too hot, and as an unanticipated(for me, at least) bonus, it looks pretty awesome when you stop for a breather, and you're steaming.
    I suggest just Starting at a reasonable mid level of warm clothing, and adding or removing as necessary.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So what is the best thing to wear while running during winter?
    Well, less than you think. I was running last year, in the worst winter there has been in Yorkshire for 15 years(Or so I was lead to believe) and I just wore thicker socks than normal, and kept my regular exercise pants and singlet. I found anything heavier kept me too hot, and as an unanticipated(for me, at least) bonus, it looks pretty awesome when you stop for a breather, and you're steaming.
    Awesome, I guess I must not be afraid to the cold after all. I just need to get thicker socks.
  • Awesome, I guess I must not be afraid to the cold after all. I just need to get thicker socks.
    Your mileage may vary of course - I just found that if I ran with regular socks, my toes went numb, which screwed up my run.