This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime for kids

edited June 2008 in Anime
I think we need a thread for this even though most of the people on the forum are without kids.

My daughter is 9 and likes Pokemon and iCarly. What anime would be appropriate for her to watch?

Comments

• Digimon.
  • I could have made a whole slew of recommendations but all fail in my hunch that 9-year-olds aren't going to be very big on reading subtitles.
  • It depends on your child's maturity level, but Azumanga Daioh is pretty great for all age groups.
  • It depends on your child's maturity level, but Azumanga Daioh is pretty great for all age groups.
    She has read Yotsuba&! but I'm not sure if she is ready for Azumanga Daioh yet.

She has no problem reading subtitles. She watched the entire Cardcaptor Sakura series via Netflix and most of them were subtitled only.
    She has readYotsuba&!but I'm not sure if she is ready for Azumanga Daioh yet.
    Why not?
    She has no problem reading subtitles. She watched the entireCardcaptor Sakuraseries via Netflix and most of them were subtitled only.
    That is great! For shows with more complex plots, there are usually decent dubs as well.
  • Doraemon and Miyazaki movies will provide for a very long time. Also maybe Hamtaro.
  • We have the Hamtaros. In fact we have a draw full of the eraser sized Hamtaro figures and some of the hard plastic play sets.

I'll have to rent the Azumanga Daioh DVDs and pre-watch them. I did see the Omnibus manga at Borders for $25.
  • We have the Hamtaros. In fact we have a draw full of the eraser sized Hamtaro figures and some of the hard plastic play sets.

I'll have to rent the Azumanga Daioh DVDs and pre-watch them. I did see the Omnibus manga at Borders for $25.
    I think the worst thing in AZM is the occational "Sakaki/Yomi has big ones" joke.
    How about Animals that Suck?
  • Panyo Panyo DiGi Charat. Not the regular Digi Charat but the Panyo Panyo one.

Sailor Moon? If she liked CCS then she might dig another magical girl show.

I hear Sgt. Frog is awesome.

Hare and Guu is very silly.
  • edited June 2008
    I know Crayon Shin Chan was originally intended for kids, in japan. I don't think that it would be very appropriate in America though. I'm guessing she would probably like magical girl shows like Sailor Moon.
    Edit-written before post above.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • She has watched a lot of Sailor Moon in the past. We also found a parody show via NetFlix that has a bunch of 5 minute episodes that show where Magical Girls come from. Very funny but not exactly age appropriate.
  • edited June 2008
    What about Ribon Titles like "Fullmoon wo Sagashite" which are meant for older elementary school kids? They have a plot and they are mostly age appropriate. Also, I like Kodocha. It's pretty tame (although the child-star main character always says the word "pimp" when referring to her manager and everyone is like "THAT'S NOT THE RIGHT WORD! DON'T SAY THAT!") It has the kind of wacky humor that I appreciated as a 9 year old. Check out the opening on Youtube.
    Hare and Guu is very silly.
    Yesh. Good one, V.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited June 2008
    Grrl Power! It's an one episode OVA but it's a really good one.
    I like Kodocha. It's pretty tame (although the child-star main character always says the word "pimp" when referring to her manager and everyone is like "THAT'S NOT THE RIGHT WORD! DON'T SAY THAT!") It has the kind of wacky humor that I appreciated as a 9 year old. Check out the opening on Youtube.
    I love this anime and I have almost learned the dance. :P

That reminds me of Ultra Maniac where a bumbling witch girl and her cool normal friend in school. Also Ojamajo Doremi if you can find fansubs. 4kids brought a season but dropped it. Sigh.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Legend of the Over....never mind.

Azumanga is probably better for the 12 - 14 age range, as she'll be more able to identify with the characters. If she's mature, though, she might be able to handle it around 10.

Otherwise, pretty much anything Miyazaki should be great.
  • Ojamajo Doremi if you can find fansubs.
    My friend loves this show! Very cute and perfect for kids.
  • How about Animals that Suck?
    I was going to suggest that and Chi's Sweet Home, but subtitles :/

If she liked Yotsuba&! maybe she'll like Dr. Slump, although it's sometimes a bit more suggestive, but I believe that will fly right over her head. Sgt. Frog is pretty similar. Same with the "suggestive stuff" in Azumanga Daioh, which doesn't go any farther than "Japanese, American, Hawaiian".
  • Legend of the Over
    O_O Shame on you!

That's awesome your daughter loves CCS. It's hard to really suggest anything else that people haven't already suggested. Sailor Moon might be hard to find since it's no longer in print. Perhaps Magic User's Club. Adventures of the Mini-Goddesses (spinoff of Ah! My Goddess) is pretty cute.

I'm also thinking of another magical girl anime with these cute girls that use shapes of card suits and have big hats and batons, but the title eludes me.
  • I got it! Petite Princess Yucie!

Fantasy medieval like background, 5 girls from from different worlds (human, heaven, hell, spirit and fairy) competing to be the fabled platinum princess for their purposes. Also has lots of friendship and happiness and a nice plot. Good for a girl to watch!
  • Maybe a little Kimba or Astroboy Tezuka action?
  • I just noticed a good comparison: In the second volume of Yotsuba&! they go to the public pool. Mr. Koiwaii and Jumbo comment on Fuuka's figure. The worst stuff in Azumanga Daioh is at this level: Nothing to be troubled by.
  • edited June 2008
    Magic User's Club
    I really, really like Magic User's Club. It's one of my favourite shows. If you're worried about some of the stuff in Azumanga Daioh, though, Magic User's Club has some of the same sorts of jokes. They're mostly related to Takeo's wild imagination, with his sort-of-tentacle-fantasy in the first OVA episode being the worst one. Most of the other raunchy humour is just boob-related. However, the raunchy humour is significantly toned down in the TV series, so if you find the OVA has too much raunch for your daughter, then maybe just showing her the TV series would work.

Oh hey, how about Princess Tutu? That is a magical girl series, contains absolutely no objectionable content, and I think it can definitely be understood by a nine-year-old (at least the nine-year-old me would have understood it, anyway). Yet it also contains a lot of deeper, darker material that elevates it above being just another magical girl show, especially in the second half of the series. I think it'd be really great for her to watch. As well, it has a really terrific dub, so she can watch it in whichever language she wants.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Fancy Lala
  • The original Dragon Ball is perfect for kids.
  • Princess Tutu. Hands down. It's a GREAT show for kids.
  • I third Princess Tutu!

I also add Tokyo Mew Mew but not the 4kids version.
  • Digimon.
    Second season of Digimon got kind of dark.

I recommend Candy Candy if you can find it.
  • Hamtaro. Definitely Hamtaro.
  • but subtitles :/
    BFD, note:
    She has no problem reading subtitles.
    Also, are you guys sure about animals that suck? A drinking unicorn? Plus all the other stuff that's not really kid friendly...? Yeah...

And since she's cool with subs, get her some Hunter x Hunter. It's nothing complex, dark, or any of that. Swearing is kept at a minimum, or none, I can't really remember...
  • Possibly KaleidoStar (might be a variation on that spelling)? It's a very cute anime with a bit of plot based on a girl trying to become an acrobat. So far I haven't seen anything bad, but if you're critical of things, you'll quickly start to wonder if there's anything that might -actually- get her kicked out.. I'm half thinking that murdering someone in front of everyone probably won't have any consequence.
  • I don't think there's anything bad about Angelic Layer.