This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime for kids

2»

Comments

• Somehow I missed that. I'd also recommend Sketchbook Full Colors then.
  • I remember thinking that I'd love to show Princess Arete to any children I might one day have, but I'm afraid the movie is still only available on fansub.
  • I liked Grimm Meisaku Gekijou when I was a kid. Nickelodeon showed it dubbed as "Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics".
  • Sailor Moon? If she liked CCS then she might dig another magical girl show.
    ICK! I can't believe that I ever liked that show. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

I must say, as a guy, I cannot think for a moment anything a girl might like, especially one so young. But I can say this: if she liked Cardcaptor Sakura, perhaps something else related to CLAMP might work. But, as someone who hates their work, I can't tell if they would be any good or appropriate.
  • Angelic Layer would be a good starting point.
    xXxHolic and Tsubasa might be a bit too deep and confusing.
  • The only other CLAMP work I can think of that's definitely good for young kids is CLAMP School Detectives. That's a very cute and funny show. Magic Knight Rayearth might also be good; maybe it's not directly targeted at very young kids, but I think a girl her age would still enjoy it.
  • I can recommend what I was watching when I was nine: Vampire Hunter D and Project A-ko.
  • edited June 2008
    Hamtaro. Definitely Hamtaro.
    Hamtaro is fucking awesome.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • Project A-ko.
    And you totally didn't realize that everybody was lesbians. (We rewatched project A-ko this morning. Yuriyuri!)
  • Project A-ko.
    And you totally didn't realize that everybody was lesbians. (We rewatched project A-ko this morning. Yuriyuri!)
    A-Ko is a terrible pick for a nine year old. Rayearth is a good one indeed, as is the silliness of Hamtaro.

Of course, you could always try this. But you have to pay for the therapy.
  • A-Ko is a terrible pick for a nine year old.
    As a nine-year-old, I absolutely loved it. I watched it with my brother, who was just under seven at the time, and who also loved it. ^_^
  • edited June 2008
    A-Ko is a terrible pick for a nine year old.
    As a nine-year-old, I absolutely loved it. I watched it with my brother, who was just under seven at the time, and who also loved it. ^_^
    A-ko has some mild nudity, somewhat comedic violence, and crude humor that I wouldn't recommend for all kids.
    I err on the side of uptight prudish parents who could cause backlash. (This is not a backhanded comment, I swear).
    I'm also going to call into play the fact that my career involves the wee-ones, and more often than not the sight of a boobie is going to cause some freakin' out.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Slayers?
  • Slayers is great, but parts of it can be a bit dramatic and maybe scary for a nine year old. Like when Lina's bleeding really badly in first season, or when the big bad is tormenting Our Heroes in second season, or the genocide in third season.
  • edited June 2008
    Slayers?
    When our kid is old enough to watch Slayers, he/she will have to watch it with their Daddy, because I can't stand more than two episodes of that tripe. Mr. MacRoss bought all of Slayers at the last Otakon and got me all excited to see it... and each second that passed while I watched the first few episodes dropped my IQ by at least one point each. Seriously, I am now just a high-functioning mental defective. This show is great for a hyper-active kid that hasn't developed taste yet, but for me it was like stabbing myself in the eye, filling it with draino, and setting it on fire.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Slayers?
    When our kid is old enough to watch Slayers, he/she will have to watch it with their Daddy, because I can't stand more than two episodes of that tripe. Mr. MacRoss bought all of Slayers at the last Otakon and got me all excited to see it... and each second that passed while I watched the first few episodes dropped my IQ by at least one point each. Seriously, I am now just a high-functioning mental defective. This show is great for a hyper-active kid that hasn't developed taste yet, but for me it was like stabbing myself in the eye, filling it with draino, and setting it on fire.
    Did you at least get to see the fish man? You can't judge slayers until you get to see fish men.
  • Slayers?
    Did you at least get to see the fish man? You can't judge slayers until you get to see fish men.
    Yes, I saw the fishmen... unfortunately.
  • Yes, I saw the fishmen... unfortunately.
    Noes! Do not insult the hilarious fish man!
  • Noes! Do not insult the hilarious fish man!
    What I love most about the fishmen are the english dub voices. It is beyond nerdy which makes it awesome. Too bad what happens to them after one of them tries to kiss Lina or something along those lines. Fireball + fish man = fried fish. XD
  • Everyone always mentions the fishmen! XD