This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Board Gaming Meet-up

RymRym
edited June 2008 in Board Games
So... Scott and I have been really, really hurting for people to play board games with lately. We've strategically exhausted almost every three-player game we own. When we have guests, they are usually in such quantity that other, more social desires, win the day. As such, we rarely really get the chance to play a good, engaging, four-to-five player game anymore.

Thus, consider the following. Were we to stage a meetup somewhere in the downstate New York area, for the primary purpose of playing German-style board games, would any of you be interested? Based on your response, we may or may not pursue the idea further.

Comments

• You guys know I am local and I have a rather large collection of games.
  • You guys know I am local and I have a rather large collection of games.
    Oh, yes. Believe me when I say that our previous hermit-like-nature was due largely to the fact that doing the show four nights a week was killing us. ^_~
  • Yes, sadly I live too far away. And that's an understatement.
  • edited June 2008
    I live nearly as far from you as is possible.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I would be willing to make the trip from D.C if it was for a weekend or something.
  • Yes, the only thing is although I tend to learn rather quickly, from the sounds of it I'd be fairly quickly beaten at most of the games you've mentioned. But I'd love to participate.
  • edited June 2008
    I would love to hang out with you guys and play some board games, but I don't have enough money to get up to New York.
    Now if it were to be at Otakon, on the other hand...
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Ok. If the trend continues, I'll have a more specific planning thread, including the discussion of exactly where to meet.
  • I can wait until PAX. Damn east coast peoples. :P
  • Ok. If the trend continues, I'll have a more specific planning thread, including the discussion of exactlywhereto meet.
    We should get a small room at a hotel or something.
  • Ok. If the trend continues, I'll have a more specific planning thread, including the discussion of exactlywhereto meet.
    Using Geohashing?
  • So, will this be "GeakNights Con"?

Look for a not too expensive hotel that also has a rentable conference room that is big enough for gaming. that way those who come from further away will have a place to sleep if it runs all weekend long. Or if you just don't feel like going home afterwards.
  • edited June 2008
    If they're going to have a gaming-con, they would have to wait longer to do this. It would be fine if it was in a hotel room; there would be less need for planning time. I love how they are not suggesting that they have it at their house to let the internet visigoths in. I'm going to be a semi-shill here, but it is more of an endorsement of a product. There is a board game store in my town that has a very good board game library. The only problem is that Saturdays there suck.
    P.S. I may have mentioned this before.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited June 2008
    Most game stores, with gaming floor space, use that space on the weekends holding CCG tournaments.

I would also greatly enjoy a full-on game of The Great Space Race. Not exactly German-style in that it has player elimination.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited June 2008
    I would be willing to make the trip from D.C if it was for a weekend or something.
    Same.
    We should get a small room at a hotel or something.
    Yes!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I think that this could be potentially brilliant, plus I really don't play enough board games.
  • I'm in Jersey, and I would love to come to a game night. Also, any chance of a Burning Wheel demonstration happening at this night?
  • Also, any chance of a Burning Wheel demonstration happening at this night?
    Very very good chances.
  • I just got the latest Arkham Horror expansion in the mail today. Anyone up for an 8+ player game that takes all night to play?
  • Also, any chance of a Burning Wheel demonstration happening at this night?
    Very very good chances.
    I just got the latest Arkham Horror expansion in the mail today. Anyone up for an 8+ player game that takes all night to play?
    Between these two posts, you've now almost guaranteed I'll come.
  • edited June 2008
    How soonish is this proposed event? I would love to participate if I'm in New York at the time.
    Post edited by ladyobsolete on
  • edited June 2008
    How soonish is this proposed event? I would love to participate if I'm in New York at the time.
    Same
    Post edited by Solo on
  • I found a $5 Boston-New York buss. I could take that down sometime, for I know just about no one who plays board games...

Though it could be a scam for I never used it.
    http://www.megabus.com/
  • I found a $5 Boston-New York buss. I could take that down sometime, for I know just about no one who plays board games...

Though it could be a scam for I never used it.
    http://www.megabus.com/
    There are a lot of buses like that, most of them run out of China town. The thing with those buses is that they are not maintained at all. They are very prone to breaking down or having other problems. However, for someone without a lot of money, they are an excellent way to get between Boston, NY and DC, if you aren't in a hurry.
  • I really look forward to seeing how this turns out. While I have people to play with on the west coast, my network does not extend to the east coast. So, it would be lovely to have a respite from a network that I don't think will be very geeky at all.
  • Probable, depends on the game and the people.

I live in NYC and not sure about German games, but do have around nine to ten sets of Monopoly (I am a semi-collector), and Mahjong cards (If I can find it...)
  • I live in NYC and not sure about German games, but do have around nine to ten sets of Monopoly (I am a semi-collector), and Mahjong cards (If I can find it...)
    Yeah, please keep the monopolies to yourself. Thanks.
  • I live in NYC and not sure about German games, but do have around nine to ten sets of Monopoly (I am a semi-collector), and Mahjong cards (If I can find it...)
    Yeah, please keep the monopolies to yourself. Thanks.
    Pwn3d.
  • Probable, depends on the game and the people.I live in NYC and not sure about German games,
    You are lukcy. I suggest you give it a shot. There a lot of fun games out there and meeting up with the forumites here would be awesome.

Damn you east coasters!
  • Have you done a show/forum thread about Torres? It is one of my favorites. I've not had many good 2 player games, but with 3 or 4 it is really fun, and every game feels very different.