This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Summer Secret Surprise

2»

Comments

• So has anyone gotten their Magic Burner yet???
    It's a pre-order for August shipping.
  • It's a pre-order for August shipping.
    It's August somewhere!
  • It's a pre-order for August shipping.
    It's Augustsomewhere!
    Uh, no. It's not August anywhere. Well, maybe if you cross the Universal Month line out by Uranus! Of course, the only person who lives out there is your mom. Oh snaps.
    It's a pre-order for August shipping.
    Details, details. I want it NOW.
  • Details, details. I want it NOW.
    Yeah. Actually, if Rym's game holds off until we have this book, I can remake my character with some Art Magic.
  • Yeah I really want to see the rules for alternative Faith. I think Religion may kick a lot of ass for my character.
  • I am wondering. What did Luke write in the front of everyone's Magic Burner? Mine was:
    -Cast a spell of FIRE!
  • Mine was just "Rise!"
    I think his hands were getting tired around 141. Rise! is actually a pretty clever thing to write, if you look for where it appears in the book.

In my copy of Blossoms are Falling he wrote "Walk the razor's edge."
  • Pfft. I still win.

"Peter -
    Command the spirits!
    - luke"
  • For those that have it, can I take a look at one of them at next game to see if I want to switch up some things for my character in rym's game?
  • So how is the Magic Burner? Is it a must-buy addition to the two original books, or more of a nice-to-have?
  • So how is the Magic Burner? Is it a must-buy addition to the two original books, or more of a nice-to-have?
    Only the core books are a mandatory purchase. The MagBu is really awesome, but it's by no means required. If you enjoy reading awesome RPG books, it's definitely a great read. If you actually want to play with magic in a Burning Wheel game, it's probably a good idea to have. Really, though, it's more of a guide on how specifically to apply the existing rules to various types magic, as opposed to a completely new set of rules.
    Only the core books are a mandatory purchase. The MagBu is really awesome, but it's by no means required. If you enjoy reading awesome RPG books, it's definitely a great read. If you actually want to play with magic in a Burning Wheel game, it's probably a good idea to have. Really, though, it's more of a guide on how specifically to apply the existing rules to various types magic, as opposed to a completely new set of rules.
    Well, there are some tweaks to the existing magic rules in there as well.

Really, though, it's a Luke Crane book. Did you like the two core books? If so, you'll like the MagBu.
  • Really, though, it's a Luke Crane book.
    Actually, I think the best part of the book is Thor's essay in the beginning.
  • Really, though, it's a Luke Crane book.
    Actually, I think the best part of the book is Thor's essay in the beginning.
    Yeah, I have to agree with that. I especially like the way he broke down and categorized things. It's always cool to get inside the mind of a game developer like that.
  • I'll third the bit about Thor's essay. The last chapter (about building magic systems) looks good for similar get-inside-the-designer's head reasons, although it's much drier and more technical.

Also, my cover quote:

"Alex -
    A new fire burns!
    - Luke"