This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nail in the Coffin for the "Mac is Better" argument?

So, the final nail in the coffin. The main man of computer gaming, John Carmack, says that the Mac is a much better developing platform. Yeah, up yours Windows people. What now huh?

John Carmack likes the Mac
This is one of the articels that was mentioned on The Mac Break Weekly Podcast. I couldn't find the exact one.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    I really don't give two shits about whatever is better, however I will point out that the article you linked was written in 2005.

You also sound like an Apple fanboy.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Carmack has gone back and forth on this. Originally he was always a PC guy in the DOS days. Then in 2001, he switched it up. Am I the only one who remembers this? Apple + Nvidia + Id. Whatever came of that? Nothing. Seven years later, Apple still has no gaming to speak of outside of Blizzard. After that whole thing blew over, around the days of the Xbox and the 360, Carmack professed he was totally in love with DirectX, XNA, and everything Microsoft. Now suddenly he's back in love with OpenGL on the Mac? What changed?
  • The main man of computer gaming, John Carmack, says that the Mac is a much better developing platform.
    This is a complete misrepresentation and a flat out lie. Seriously, stop giving blowjobs to Steve Jobs.

Here is the quote of what Carmack said in the slashdot comment (from 2005 I might add)
    We work with Apple, ATI, and Nvidia to make everything run as well as possible. Doom 3 had AltiVec code in it, and there were driver changes to make things work better. The bottom line is that the compiler / cpu / system / graphics card combinations available for macs has just never been as fast as the equivalent x86/windows systems. The performance gap is not a myth or the result of malicious developers trying to make your platform of choice look bad.
    What he is saying is this:"We work with Apple to make sure our games are available and work well with Macs, but honestly, the hardware is shit compared to PCs"
    Yes, it is always possible to make an application faster, but expecting developers to work harder on the mac platform than on windows is not reasonable.
    "It's insanely harder to develop for Mac than PC."
    The xbox version of Doom required extensive effort in both programming and content to get good performance, but it was justified because of the market. In hindsight, we probably should have waited and ported the xbox version of the game to the mac, which would have played on a broader range of hardware. Of course, then we would have taken criticism for only giving the mac community the "crippled, cut down version".
    "We made an Xbox version instead of a Mac version because the console had a better market than the Mac. We may have been wrong though, but if we did develop for mac, the cult of Steve Jobs would have been pissed off at us for even trying to develop for the Mac"
  • edited July 2008
    I really don't give two shits about whatever is better, however I will point out that the article you linked was written in 2005.
    I said this was the closet closest I could find to the mentioned article in the podcast.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I don't think you understand the whole "nail in the coffin"idea.
  • Mac every few years gets some game developers to say their platform is awesome and say they are going to develop for it. But then Mac doesn't support the developers and nothing is done about. Until the cycle comes around again, they make promises, under deliver and nothing happens.
  • Mac every few years gets some game developers to say their platform is awesome and say they are going to develop for it. But then Mac doesn't support the developers and nothing is done about. Until the cycle comes around again, they make promises, under deliver and nothing happens.
    Too true. Mac doesn't even support standard USB joysticks or gamepads natively.
  • I said this was theclosetclosestI could find to the mentioned article in the podcast.
    Ok, so he said that 3 years ago. Since he's said that, I really haven't heard or seen any huge shift of people switching to the Mac in regards to PC gaming.

Also I would say, I have heard of his name, however I really don't know who he is nor his influence on PC gaming, but I can take a good guess that most other average PC gamers are the same way and really could care less of what one person says about whatever platform is better.
  • edited July 2008
    Macs are very good computers, not a separate thing by themselves. My main problem with them is that they are grossly overpriced.
    So does this article mean that the XB36 is now the ideal platform to develop for?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'm sorry, I was listening to a live version of the Podacst at the time. It's actually Don Romero.
  • In technology (and therefore the gaming) there is never such a thing as a "Nail in the Coffin" idea for a winner... only for losers. Tech moves too fast, and too many companies end up leapfrogging each other in terms of capabilities. And even for losers, the technology that is forever dead and lost, sometimes they come back.

Coming from a certified apple fanboy
  • Coming from a certified apple fanboy
    Where does one procur said certification and what institution(s) back same?
  • Apple certified help desk, as well as both desktop and laptop certifications all directly trained and earned from Apple. It's part of the requirements when you become an "Apple Genius". Granted both my certs in apple hardware have since lapsed, so maybe I'm starting to be influenced by things non-mac.
  • Really? That's your nail in the coffin?

That's like declaring nuclear war on the United States after you've armed yourself with a BB Gun...
  • Apple certified help desk, as well as both desktop and laptop certifications all directly trained and earned from Apple. It's part of the requirements when you become an "Apple Genius". Granted both my certs in apple hardware have since lapsed, so maybe I'm starting to be influenced by things non-mac.
    I was being silly, but good for you! ^_^
  • I have a Mac because I prefer it. I have never understood people who think it is superior to all other computers. Macs can't play many games, Linux has some compatibility issues with the hardware (I can't get it to work with one mouse button), and they are way too easy to dent. I think they must have that "console war" mentality to think this way. In the end why does it matter?
  • The sad thing is that Apple is gaining market share and could one day be the standard. That's sad because if Apple should ever reign supreme, computer hobbyists like me are going to have to get creative. It is hard to build a Mac.
  • Actually Thaed, you, can, It called a Mac clone. But, with the recent Pystar lawsuit, it my not be the best. If you want to do hardware tinkering with the Mac, your best bet is getting some of the older macs and do hardware upgrade to those. I don't know I'm just throwing things on the table.
  • edited July 2008
    The real issue is that Apple is hardware company and use Mac OSX as a tool to push their hardware. This is why they don't sell the OS for non-Mac hardware.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • The sad thing is that Apple is gaining market share and could one day be the standard.
    As long as servers are still running Linux and Windows, your PC parts aren't going anywhere.
  • That and the fact that it is doubtful that any other computer company is ever going to achieve the dominance Microsoft had.
  • That and the fact that it is doubtful that any other computer company is ever going to achieve the dominance Microsoft had.
    With technological advancement comes the opportunity for rapid corporate growth. The transistior saw the rise of TI, the x86 had Microsoft, Google and the Internet... With memristors on the horizon, computer technology is most likely going to undergo some dramatic changes and upset traditional architecture. Who's to say that Windows will still be riding high on memristor-enhanced PCs ten years from now?

Don't doubt a batter until they've struck out. ;)
  • I call bollocks.The chance of that happening is to small to be worth considering. Apple just isn't capable of providing the range needed and would be incapable of growing to the size of Microsoft and staying anything like the Apple it is today.
  • edited July 2008
    I don't want Apple to Grow to the size of Microsoft, It would ruin what makes Apple the great company that they are. But I want them to be a more dominate in market share.

But, I don't want Linux taking that spot. Okay, Linux will never get anymore market share as long as developers are too busy making more window wobblys and the likes.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • edited July 2008
    I don't want Apple to Grow to the size of Microsoft, It would ruin what makes Apple the great company that they are. But I want them to be a more dominate in market share.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you think makes Apple a great company compared to others in its market?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I don't want Apple to Grow to the size of Microsoft, It would ruin what makes Apple the great company that they are. But I want them to be a more dominate in market share.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you think makes Apple a great company compared to others in its market?
    Yeah, seriously? Listen to this week Windows Weekly and you will hear why Apple is already turning into a company like Microsoft.
  • edited July 2008
    Yeah, seriously? Listen to this week Windows Weekly and you will hear why Apple is already turning into a company like Microsoft.
    And even then, how is this a bad thing? Don't get me wrong; I'm no fan of their operating systems. However, if you dive in beyond the face of Windows and Office and read some of the articles in the MSDN, you start to see a company that's full of interesting and funny people who are genuinely interested in helping their customers.

Personally, I actually think Microsoft's largest problem is their PR department. The MSDN is pretty much a way to interact with the people who actually matter in a more direct manner (read: without the influence of marketing directors who insist on swooshy, glossy, hyperanimated everything). You'd be surprised how many MS programmers dislike and even openly badmouth the visual styles and the performance overhead of Aero.

EDIT: Don't misinterpret this as any form of fanboyism or general preference for Microsoft. I use each of the Big Three on an almost daily basis, and I have no particular preference for MS over Apple or vice versa. They're both just companies who produce products I use, and that is the extent of my relationships with them.
    Post edited by Lusankya on
  • edited July 2008
    What I meant was that as Apple's user base is getting bigger, they are experiencing the same sorts of problems a bigger company like Microsoft do.
    Personally, I actually think Microsoft's largest problem is their PR department. The MSDN is pretty much a way to interact with the people who actually matter in a more direct manner (read: without the influence of marketing directors who insist on swooshy, glossy, hyperanimated everything). You'd be surprised how many MS programmers dislike and even openly badmouth the visual styles and the performance overhead of Aero.
    Well, one of the less famous things Bill Gates has said was that the code doesn't have to be optimized, just so long as it works. Because what ever performance is lost from not optimizing will be quickly made up for by the progression of Moore's Law. As computers get faster and faster, the overhead will matter less and less.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited May 2011
    Oh, there has been mac malware for a long time. Nothing new under the sun.
    Except: Does this one get in by a trojan, like the windows one? That was my first (and so far only virus, gotten through my NOT UPDATING FREAKING ADOBE PDF READER) and it was hella annoying. As soon as I saw the thing that popped up and said "You have viruses! OMG give us your money so we can save you!1!!" I was like "Hell yeah I have a malware, and it's you!" Got rid of that pretty quickly with a USB of Malware Bytes, but it made me so mad to think that there were little old ladies who have fallen for that.
    Post edited by gomidog on