This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPod Artifacts

2»

Comments

• I use search terms on google to look for public ftp servers with mp3s on them. That lets you easily download songs individually.
    Look at a site called Skreemr for that kind of thing but easier. Songs found through google are mostly 128kbps mp3s tho.
  • iMeem if you don't mind listening to them while connected to the tubes.
  • I use uTorrent. It's a small Bittorrent client that lets you select what parts of a torrent you want.
    If only idiots would stop putting a single rar file in the torrents.
  • I use uTorrent.It's a small Bittorrent client that lets you select what parts of a torrent you want.
    Well, it does make the download faster if you want to get the entire thing.
  • I use uTorrent.It's a small Bittorrent client that lets you select what parts of a torrent you want.
    Well, it does make the download faster if you want to get the entire thing.
    It also takes up more HD space if you wish to keep seeding the album, yet also want to listen to the music. Personally I do not like this, sure seeding is a part of the protocol, and I seed at least 110%, but after that, I remove the torrent since I don't want it to take up twice the space it should be taking up. If it were separate songs, I would not need to delete the torrent and can thus seed the entire album for as long as I want.
  • It also takes up more HD space if you wish to keep seeding the album, yet also want to listen to the music. Personally I do not like this, sure seeding is a part of the protocol, and I seed at least 110%, but after that, I remove the torrent since I don't want it to take up twice the space it should be taking up. If it were separate songs, I would not need to delete the torrent and can thus seed the entire album for as long as I want.
    I agree with this idea, but honestly, hard drives are so huge and so cheap.
  • I agree with this idea, but honestly, hard drives are so huge and so cheap.
    True, but it's useless redundancy to have a rar archive of an album that's most likely in the same folder, if not a subfolder with the album name. If one wishes to have a backup just Raid 5 and have a Raid 5 backup server next to it. n.~
  • So check this out. As I said on the show I'm rocking the DS piracy lately. I went out and found a torrent of DS games. Instead of downloading the entire torrent, as usual, I just picked out the individual games I wanted. You know what happened? The download speed was about 0.2kB/s. The ETA for the entire download was infinity. Bittorrent punishes you for not uploading by making your download slower. It's how the protocol works.

I changed the download so that every one of the roms was included, even the bad ones. Now the Download speed is over 800kB/s and the ETA is 6 hours. In other words, it takes less time to download all the files than it would to download some of the files. This is why bittorrent is awesome. This is why the original bittorrent client never had features like that.
  • So check this out. As I said on the show I'm rocking the DS piracy lately. I went out and found a torrent of DS games. Instead of downloading the entire torrent, as usual, I just picked out the individual games I wanted. You know what happened? The download speed was about 0.2kB/s. The ETA for the entire download was infinity. Bittorrent punishes you for not uploading by making your download slower. It's how the protocol works.

I changed the download so that every one of the roms was included, even the bad ones. Now the Download speed is over 800kB/s and the ETA is 6 hours. In other words, it takes less time to download all the files than it would to download some of the files. This is why bittorrent is awesome. This is why the original bittorrent client never had features like that.
    Either that, OR (the more likely reason) there are/were no people seeding those parts (with any speed) you requested. Once you selected everything to be downloaded, your bittorrent client could request parts from any of the files, and thus anyone who was actually seeding is sending you said requested parts. If there is nobody in the world with the pieces you originally requested, that torrent will grind to a halt after having downloaded all those parts of all those 'bad' games at 800kB/s and the ETA will jump back to infinity. Selecting specific files will always be faster over just downloading everything, since you are not downloading anything when there is finally someone with the parts you want, and thus your client will request those parts as fast as it can.
  • What were the seed and leech numbers/ratios? Could be that most of the people were doing the same thing you were so few people had the part you were looking for.
  • That song is about as bad as the first ending song to Code Geass.
  • That would be because the same group did both.
  • edited August 2008
    Aw, I really like ALI Project... :(

I'll admit that the Code Geass song is basically recycled garbage based far too heavily upon past songs they've done. I really like "Kinjirareta Asobi" (the song One Sin posted first), though, as well as the Rozen Maiden second season opening "Seishoujo Ryouiki." I think their vocals just take a bit of time to get used to. Morio-kun, try listening to the Noir opening, "Coppelia no Hitsugi," if you haven't heard it already. That's usually the ALI Project song that is liked even by people who don't usually like their music.

As for the main topic of the thread: I don't think I really have any iPod artifacts. I put music on my iPod pretty deliberately, meaning I don't tend to put anything on that I don't at least somewhat like. The closest I can think of are the anime songs I have by Maximum the Hormone. I really don't like the screamy/growly parts of their songs, and I mainly downloaded them because they were requested on the anime music podcast I used to do. Still, even though I don't necessarily "like" them, those songs have grown on me over time (and I do genuinely like their Air Master ending, "Rolling 1000 Toons" a lot), and I won't be taking them off my iPod anytime soon.

Songs I just might not want most people to know are on the iPod, however? PLENTY of those. Far too many to list entirely, but here's a general idea of what people might raise eyebrows at:

- "Hanamaru Sensation" by Little Non (the Kodomo no Jikan ending)
    - A ton of music from various moe and harem anime... What? Lots of that stuff is either very relaxing, absolutely adorable, or just fun and energetic. I especially like songs by Eufonius. =^^=;;
    - The DuckTales theme
    - This "song" from "Musical Excel Saga":

- Also, several other Excel Saga and Puni Puni Poemy tracks that are on MAJOR CRACK
    - Songs from various cheesy yaoi/shounen-ai anime
    - Two Spice Girls albums (the older ones, with Geri)
    - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme
    - A Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged Series parody of the Fresh Prince theme ("The Phresh Pharaoh of Bel-Air")
    - A curious oddity known as "Santa ga gai ni yattekuru" by BON-BON BLANCO. Imagine "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"... but J-pop.
    - "You Give Me Something" by James Morrison
    - "SexyBack" by Justin Timberlake
    - The entire collection of intentionally bad karaoke ending songs from Lucky Star
    - Two cheesy hits of the late 90's: "Livin' La Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin, and "Mambo #5" by Lou Bega
    - "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I think their vocals just take a bit of time to get used to.
    I'd say it's grating, but that'd be a gross understatement. The lady can't keep a pitch, ever! Listen to the end of the refrain in the video and tell me that's something you can get used to.
  • edited August 2008
    *shrug* I did. I've liked the style of her vocals for a long time now, though I know that most other people don't.

My only issue with them is that as of late, they seem to have been trying to recapture the success of their first two Rozen Maiden songs, and have been churning out clone song after clone song for a while now. Only a couple of their recent songs have actually been notable in my mind (those being "Hinamazuite Ashi wo Oname" and "Momoiro Tengoku"). :/

Also, if you want to hear songs where the vocalist does keep better pitch technically speaking, listen to some of their slower songs. For example, check out the vocal version of the opening to Maria-sama ga Miteru Haru.

Post edited by Eryn on