This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things that attract arrogant people

Comments

• Wikipedia Editing.
    Making Webcomics.
    Working as Cabin or flight crew on an airplane.
    Fashion.
  • edited July 2008
    The Subaru STi. Every guy (and the occasional girl) I've met who drives one is an arrogant prick who thinks he has the fastest and greatest car ever made.
    It's still a pretty sweet ride for the money though. And I think it goes for Corvettes, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Vipers, Muscle cars, etc. Arrogance comes with the keys.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • The art department at school and maybe art schools in general. I've seen some really arrogant folks but most of them were also kinda wannabes.

Scene kids.

Maybe independent shops. Because shopping at a chain like Borders is like worshiping satan.
  • edited July 2008
    The Subaru STi. Every guy (and the occasional girl) I've met who drives one is an arrogant prick who thinks he has the fastest and greatest car ever made.
    It's still a pretty sweet ride for the money though. And I think it goes for Corvettes, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Vipers, Muscle cars, etc. Arrogance comes with the keys.
    I'm used to the "my car is best" arrogance, it comes with the car scene, hell I think it too to some extent. But STi guys are a cut above the rest.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited July 2008
    This seems a silly thread. There are arrogant people/snobs that engage in almost any activity and reasonable/non-snobby people in those same activities. Sorry, I just looked up and realized I work in a Law Firm... I would say that the legal profession not only attracts arrogant people, but fosters even greater arrogance - thus I am going into education. F***ing lawyers.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited July 2008
    Working as Cabin or flight crew on an airplane.
    My mother worked as a gate agent and an airline steward for a significant portion of my youth, and I can assure you any perceived rudeness isn't arrogance. Its frustration and exhaustion from having to deal with grown passengers who act like children and idiotic flight controllers or airline management all day long.
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • Axe Deodorant- The smell gives me a headache and men actually buy into the "spray this and women will flock to you" marketing.

Let's keep going until we can label the entire world as arrogant!
  • Vinyl records.
    Especially... There is absolutely no reason to use a vinyl record in this day and age. They have zero advantages and several problems.
    The artwork on the cover is bigger, it's nicer to look at; that's the only advantage I can think of.
  • This seems a silly thread. There are arrogant people/snobs that engage in almost any activity and reasonable/non-snobby people in those same activities.
    We're looking at the end of the bell curve.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm used to the "my car is best" arrogance, it comes with the car scene, hell I think it too to some extent. But STi guys are a cut above the rest.
    I had borrowed my mate's Busa for the weekend in mid 2007, and in the same day, I had a WRX STi try to drag me off at the lights(He spun the wheels rather weakly on the red to "warm up the tyres bro!", Then Stalled taking off.) and then later that day, I got into an argument with the Boyfriend of one of my friends about how his WRX would "Blow past that little kids bike so fast you'd cry", a claim which was appropriately dealt with in fairly short order.
    My mother worked as a gate agent and an airline steward for a significant portion of my youth, and I can assure you any perceived rudeness isn't arrogance. Its frustration and exhaustion from having to deal with grown passengers who act like children and idiotic flight controllers or airline management all day long.
    I was a flight attendant until very recently myself, and believe me, I know this well - but I was thinking more from a co-worker's point of view, not a passengers.
    Though, I will give pilots a small exception - If I pilot does not privately think that he or she is the best pilot there is, then he or she is in the wrong game.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • This seems a silly thread. There are arrogant people/snobs that engage in almost any activity and reasonable/non-snobby people in those same activities.
    We're looking at the end of the bell curve.
    Note my edit: This seems a silly thread. There are arrogant people/snobs that engage in almost any activity and reasonable/non-snobby people in those same activities. Sorry, I just looked up and realized I work in a Law Firm... I would say that the legal profession not only attracts arrogant people, but fosters even greater arrogance - thus I am going into education. F***ing lawyers.
  • Evangelion.
  • Evangelion.
    It seems to me that the more arrogant anime fans would be more likely to tell you why Eva is bad, and how some more obscure giant robot deconstructionist show does it better.
  • It seems to me that the more arrogant anime fans would be more likely to tell you why Eva is bad, and how some more obscure giant robot deconstructionist show does it better.
    But only if its the original sketches, arranged into a flip book, and viewed under the dim light of a solar eclipse, while rubbing yourself with goat's blood and chicken urine, chanting "Dubs are the devil, subs are the devil"
  • Thats actually how I accidentally summoned a Shoggoth one wacky weekend at summer camp.
  • People who they feel superior to.
  • Thats actually how I accidentally summoned a Shoggoth one wacky weekend at summer camp.
    Funniest thing I read today!
  • 4chan/iiChan
    Chans don't attract arrogant people so much as they attract assholes and trolls. /m/ is the exception to this, of course.

I'd say podcast forums are much better breeding grounds for the arrogant and snobbish.
  • edited July 2008
    Law.

Edit: I hadn't seen Mrs. Macross' comment before I wrote this because I was reading the forum on my phone.

Edit Mark II: Prosecutors are the most arrogant attorneys of all.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Axe Deodorant- The smell gives me a headache and men actually buy into the "spray this and women will flock to you" marketing.
    It sure does work on me when my boyfriend wears it.
  • edited July 2008
    Axe Deodorant- The smell gives me a headache and men actually buy into the "spray this and women will flock to you" marketing.
    I agree. My boyfriend buys it because it smells good, there are various scents to choose from, and the price is reasonable.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Axe smells terrible and I have no idea how anyone can use it without gagging.
  • It has a nice smell . . . from ten yards away. Get any closer and you risk being knocked out. >_>
  • I use Axe, its the only deodorant they have at the store, the rest are either "roll-on" or antiperspirants. And they do have some really nasty smelling ones.
  • I think there's a common association of people who are right about something with people who are arrogant. No one wants to hear "I told you so," and they tend to resent anyone who knows something they don't. Assholes or not, atheists are right, and I think a lot of people perceive normal, expected, intellectual criticism of their (or any) ideas as somehow becoming arrogant the moment the concern religion.
    I've no problem with honest, intellectual criticism, and neither do the more intelligent Christians I know. What bothers me is when an Atheist becomes so overbearing and superior that they consider themselves above the company of someone who is religious.
    I agree. My boyfriend buys it because it smells good, there are various scents to choose from, and the price is reasonable.
    I love the smell of AXE as well. Ah~
  • I think there's a common association of people who are right about something with people who are arrogant. No one wants to hear "I told you so," and they tend to resent anyone who knows something they don't. Assholes or not, atheists are right, and I think a lot of people perceive normal, expected, intellectual criticism of their (or any) ideas as somehow becoming arrogant the moment the concern religion.
    I've no problem with honest, intellectual criticism, and neither do the more intelligent Christians I know. What bothers me is when an Atheist becomes so overbearing and superior that they consider themselves above the company of someone who is religious.
    See, I have the same problem with religious folk who think they have everything figured out. Door swings both ways.

If there is a topic worth considering, there are people who will be arrogant with regards to said topic. Welcome to people.
  • Geez Mrs. MacRoss, we're not all bad. I'll grant you that a large percentage of lawyers aren't much fun, but I like to think that some of us are ok.
    See, I have the same problem with religious folk who thinktheyhave everything figured out. Door swings both ways.

If there is a topic worth considering, there are people who will be arrogant with regards to said topic. Welcome to people.
    I guess I'm just used to it, being an agnostic in the bible belt. As a result atheist assholes bother me more than religious ones because it's less expected. All in all, this thread is a bit pointless.
  • edited July 2008
    Geez Mrs. MacRoss, we're not all bad. I'll grant you that a large percentage of lawyers aren't much fun, but I like to think that some of us are ok.
    Certainly not ALL of the lawyers I have encountered or worked for are horrible- but most of them are arrogant. You must admit that the arrogance of many is far above the average, and the arrogance of some is ludicrous - particularly in how they interact with their staff, underlings, and even female peers.
    EDIT: From what I can tell by your podcast and postings, I am fairly certain you are an upstanding and pleasant chap.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on