This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Olympics 2008

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
So, are any of you excited about them? What events are you looking forward to?

I've always liked the Winter Olympics, so I was sorta excited for summer to be coming up. Then I looked at the sports list and realized that I don't give a shit about a single one of them.

Comments

• I don't care about any of them, really, except sailing. And they're not even televising any sailing this year. So I effectively couldn't care less. China put on quite a show yesterday, though.
  • I loved the opening ceremony, it was amazing.
  • I'm torrenting the opening ceremony.
  • ROWING for sure. There's two Badgers in the US eight.
  • Free Tibet!
  • I recorded it yesterday. I gotta say that it looked beautiful specially the dancing/painting it made me remember Okami :D
  • Free Tibet!
    Wrong topic, and, as you'll learn from Skeptoid, a blatantly stupid remark.
    So, are any of you excited about them? What events are you looking forward to?
    You get two no's from me. Screw Summer olympics, the only awesome olympics are the winter ones. And screw you spell checker, olympics ain't getting capitalized in my dictionary.
  • I tend to enjoy any sporting event where nations compete, not looking forward to any sport in particular but I do like to watch as much as I can.

Who do you think is going to win the most medals? China? USA?
    How about most gold medals? That's where it really counts.
  • I wonder what will happen in Russia and Georgia go head to head in anything.
  • I'm watching boxing, fencing, and whatever else is on when I'm bored.
  • I am not watching the Olympics on the grounds that China is a totalitarian state. I am very upset that the IOC has let China get away with using the Olympics as propaganda. China has done everything in their power to distract the international community from the simple fact they violate human rights, and therefore I will be no part of this travesty.
  • It's all about the track cycling for me. Bring on the Madison! the single greatest event in any sport outside of Rugby League.
    Hopefully Super Cav will get a gold and complete his year.
  • edited August 2008
    I guess some American athlete got stabbed to death by some random Chinese dude.

edit: It's like good old times, West vs. East, Good vs. Evil, Capitalism vs. Communism.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • I guess some American athlete got stabbed to death by some random Chinese dude.

edit: It's like good old times, West vs. East, Good vs. Evil, Capitalism vs. Communism.
    Source? I'm pretty sure it was tourists who were killed, not athletes.
  • The only Olympic sport I know enough about to really get into it is Tae Kwon Do. Hopefully they'll actually broadcast the whole tournament this time and not just the highlights from the final match.
  • Hopefully they'll actually broadcast the whole tournament this time and not just the highlights from the final match.
    Otherwise, it's possible people will put up torrents for you.
    Sadly, there's almost 40000 people leeching on various copies of the opening ceremony, while barely a quarter of that number are seeding.
  • edited August 2008
    How was the cold war good ol' times?

Also here is the source for that death of the American. Father of former Olympian killed in Beijing.

Edit: Phelps wins a Gold and sets yet another world record.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • China has done everything in their power to distract the international community from the simple fact they violate human rights
    They're hosting the Olympics..
  • Edit:Phelps wins a Gold and sets yet another world record.
    That sentence is a lie. He did not set a new world record, he best his own world record set a year before yes, but it was the fourth time, the person who came in first, Dominik Meichtry, set a new world record, not Phelps. As for the gold medal, that was 9 hours before for the 400 meters, not the, implied, same match/competition.
  • That sentence is a lie. He did not set a new world record, he best his own world record set a year before yes, but it was the fourth time, the person who came in first, Dominik Meichtry, set a new world record, not Phelps. As for the gold medal, that was 9 hours before for the 400 meters, not the, implied, same match/competition.
    They changed the article. Last night it said it. My bad.
  • They changed the article. Last night it said it. My bad.
    Then said complaint is directed at the writer of that article, no worries. n-n
  • When did Beach Volleyball become an Olympic event?
    Damnit, why did my reason for not capitalizing 'olympics' get discovered so soon.
    Eight years ago, apparently.
  • edited August 2008
    When did Beach Volleyball become an Olympic event?
    It's better than a lot of the other shit events they have.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • It's better than a lot of the other shit events they have.
    Like?
    Eight years ago, apparently.
    Well, imagine that.

I wonder when sitting upright will become an Olympic event. I just might be able to qualify for that.
  • I wonder when sitting upright will become an Olympic event. I just might be able to qualify for that.
    Haha, well, most of these event get added by the countries that know that they'll dominate in them. So, when the next time US hosts the Olympics I wouldn't be surprised to see competitive eating added to the list.
  • edited August 2008
    It's better than a lot of the other shit events they have.
    Like?
    Water Polo, all horse-riding competition. Then again, tug of war and motorboating were once olympic (and no, I mean nothing involving female breasts).
    Post edited by chaosof99 on