This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Olympics 2008

Comments

• edited August 2008
    If they ever make sarcastic commentary an Olympic event, I'll be coming home with the gold.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Water Polo, all horse-riding competition.
    lolwut
  • I think Chinese athletes are really trying hard in these games. From what I've heard from my friends in mainland China, lots of people are working on the Olympics, or being affected by them. As for the whole media thing, it's sad that only one American (United Statesian?) network is airing anything. That's the problem with a state-owned media: China has near-total control of the information that comes out of their country by traditional (read: corporate) means.

Are there any good blogs/independent press that are covering the events from inside China?
  • edited August 2008
    Like?
    Swimming and gymnastics really don't do a whole lot for me, sorry dude. Oh, also, track and field, archery, rowing, just about anything...

No offense about sailing, either. I'm sure it's fun as hell to do (much like probably most of the olympic sports), but god damn is most of this shit boring as hell to watch. Really, and I thought baseball and golf were bad. Apparently I wasn't watching enough swimming...<_<

Stuff I kinda like, but probably won't watch anyhow: table tennis, indoor and beach volleyball (and no, not just for the chicks...they're a plus, though), basketball.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited August 2008
    I don't really think that being boring to watch is a justification for it not being in the Olympics. I mean, I really find very few spectator sports to be interesting to watch. It's supposed to be a competition about who's the best in the world at something and not what's fun to watch. I don't really think there are any events currently in it that genuinely require no skill.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm really looking forward to table tennis. It starts at 10 on Wednesday.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't really think that being boring to watch is a justification for it not being in the Olympics. I mean, I really find very few spectator sports to be interesting to watch. It's supposed to be a competition about who's the best in the world at something and not what's fun to watch. I don't really think there are any events currently in it that genuinely require no skill.
    I never argued that anything should or shouldn't be in the Olympics. I was just saying that IMO, beach volleyball is better than some of the other shit they have. I then listed said things that I think beach volleyball is better than. I guess you could debate about the definition of "better", but I really don't fucking feel like getting into that right now.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • The Olympics coupled with BBCi Player may just be the best thing ever. I can watch any sport I want, when I want and then when we win a gold, it has a quick link to that race/event on the home page, I love the internet.
  • It's really a shame and a travesty that countries are actually participating in the Olympics with a country like China – a country run by a fascist regime with one of the worst humanitarian records. I'm especially ashamed the the USA, the greatest country in the world, is also participating. If this was in the '30s, would we have allowed Nazi Germany to host the Olympics? I think not!
  • If this was in the '30s, would we have allowed Nazi Germany to host the Olympics? I think not!
    Bad troll does not check facts.
  • If this was in the '30s, would we have allowed Nazi Germany to host the Olympics? I think not!
    Massive lulz.
  • Wow. That was intentional, right? If so, bravo.
  • edited August 2008
    Wow. That was intentional, right? If so, bravo.
    I sure hope so. I'm starting to think that Jen is a secret comedy genius-type troll.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited August 2008
    If this was in the '30s, would we have allowed Nazi Germany to host the Olympics? I think not!
    I'm sorry but...

...That was classic.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited August 2008
    Some brilliant action in the badminton this morning, the British pair of Emms and Robertson against the Chinese. Went right down to the wire with the Brits storming back in the last game to win it 21-19. It really is a shame that the sport is only on telly once every 4 years because it's miles better than tennis to watch.
    Post edited by onewild on
  • Finally the Germans got some medals! ^^ It was really sad for Germany the last few days..
  • Finally the Germans got some medals! ^^ It was really sad for Germany the last few days..
    I didn't know goose-stepping was an olympic event.
  • I didn't know goose-stepping was an olympic event.
    Welcome to the Dark Side.
  • It's better than a lot of the other shit events they have.
    Like?
    Olympic equestrianship really annoys me. Sure, there are some jumping events where it's about the rider's prowess, just like it would be with motocross where the bike would be a tool to show off human athleticism. But I was watching the cantering event the other day -- which effectively tested how well the horse walked. The horse. How well the horse walked. Good god. Dressage should not be an Olympic sport, just as training dogs should not.
  • You can't imagine how little patriotism I have for my country. But even so.. never mind. ^^
  • Ooh, another fan of badminton! I tried this out in high school, and it was amazing! I need to find someone to play with...
  • I actually forgot about the Olympics. I don't really watch them and it was overshadowed in my life because of Otakon. ^_^;
  • Ooh, another fan of badminton! I tried this out in high school, and it was amazing! I need to find someone to play with...
    It's one of the few sports I'm half decent at, well decent enough to hold my own against most people during P.E. I used to go every week with my dad although we haven't gone for a while due to both of us been lazy, really need to get out of that habit.
  • I watched a little of the women road biking with all that rain it made it interesting to watch. Track biking and I wish they showed more of the shot put and discus events but ether I miss them or they don't broadcast them.
  • I watched a little of the women road biking with all that rain it made it interesting to watch. Track biking and I wish they showed more of the shot put and discus events but ether I miss them or they don't broadcast them.
    See that was a problem in previous Olympics for me but due to the wonderful BBC and their BBCi service, not only can we Brits choose which sport to watch live via the red button but we can go online and watch anything that's been on already.
    Don't the tv companies in America offer this kind of service?
    See that was a problem in previous Olympics for me but due to the wonderful BBC and their BBCi service, not only can we Brits choose which sport to watch live via the red button but we can go online and watch anything that's been on already.
    Don't the tv companies in America offer this kind of service?
    No. They stream and televise only the most popular sports.
  • No. They stream and televise only the most popular sports.
    Are you serious? Here's the list of sports that were streamed live today, in addition to all the swimming, gymnastics, and everything else broadcast:
    • Archery
    • Badminton
    • Baseball
    • Basketball
    • Canoe/Kayak
    • Equestrian
    • Fencing
    • Handball
    • Field Hockey
    • Judo
    • Rowing
    • Sailing
    • Shooting
    • Soccer
    • Softball
    • Table Tennis
    • Tennis
    • Water Polo
    • Weightlifting
    • Wrestling
  • edited August 2008
    Phelps just tied Spitz for gold medals! He won it by 1/100th of a second!!!
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on