This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Braid

edited August 2008 in Video Games
Once this comes out on the PC, I am prepared for the best video game experience of 2008, or so 1up has led me to believe. According to GFW Radio it's a Lynchian side scroller, so take that as you will.

Comments

• I played the demo on the 360. It had a very intriguing and unusual art style, but I didn't find it amazing or even anything new gameplay wise.
  • Finished it twice. I dig it a lot.
  • I just got this game on 360 and I love it. It's fairly hard though...
  • edited August 2008
    I just got this game on 360 and I love it. It's fairly hard though...
    Mario World hard or Mario 3 hard?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited August 2008
    Mario World hard or Mario 3 hard?
    Neither. You have to think outside the box. Also, the game is beautiful.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." - Terry Pratchett
  • "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." - Terry Pratchett
    I bet you feel special now, don't you?
  • Braid is a brilliant game. It's more then just the gameplay, its the ingenious of the game's design. The puzzles are designed it this amazing manner where what you are used to in a platform game, or what you think you need to do (from what you've learned from past games,) isn't actually what you need to do, but they make you think it is.

It's also hard not to mention the story, and how by the end of the game the way in which the story and game converge. This is definitely a game I don't think you can truly talk about until you've finished it all.
  • edited August 2008
    It's also hard not to mention the story, and how by the end of the game the way in which the story and game converge. This is definitely a game I don't think you can truly talk about until you've finished it all.
    The story was my favorite part by far. It even has a kidnapped girlfriend! I'd recommend that anyone who has finished the game read the plot analysis on GameFAQs.com. There's a lot more to the story than it appears.

But only read the guide if you've beaten the game. This is something you REALLY REALLY DON'T want ruined.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I bet you feel special now, don't you?
    I'm always special.
  • I'm always special.
    Yes, yes you are. In your own special little way...
  • I played the demo on the 360. It had a very intriguing and unusual art style, but I didn't find it amazing or even anything new gameplay wise.
    That is my experience with the demo as well. It made me think of a Mario Brothers game with a rewind feature.
  • So did everyone who finished it do it on their own? I'll admit, I had to cheat for two of the puzzle pieces...after spending way too much time on them. But out of 60 pieces, 2 isn't bad.
  • Bought the game last night, beat it this morning. It was a very interesting experience; game play and story-wise. And yeah, I had to cheat for a few of the pieces, maybe like three of them.
    Oh man, that final level, made me reconsider gaming and life in general.

That being said, I would be willing to go back and get all the Hidden Stars, but being as the first star requires me to sit still for two hours while a cloud slowly drifts to the left, I don't think I'm gonna do that. I'll read that Plot Analysis FAQ instead.
  • Yeah, at the end I actually thought something was wrong for the first few seconds until I clued into the "twist". Very awesome.
  • So the game's gonna cost $5 more on the PC... is anybody else ticked at having to pay extra for a 7-months old game?

Before anybody goes "Do you not think the game is worth $20?", let me stress that this case is unlike when Braid was first released, or the PC release of Bionic Commando Rearmed. This is the same game, with no additional content, costing more on a platform with a high risk of piracy. To me, it's as if Jonathan Blow is saying "let's try to recoup the money which will be inevitably lost to piracy from the legitimate customers," and if so, this attitude is just as bad as DRM in that they both punish the customers for what they clearly did not do.
  • It's been so long since the XBox version came out that I have lost all interst. Also, I'm not paying the extra $5. If anything the PC version should be less money.

Also, the fact that this release took so long says a lot about the developers. If you build a program on Microsof'ts XNA platform, it should take almost no effort at all to compile that game to run on both Windows PCs and XBoxes. Many other developers have executed on that platform very well. The fact that it took them so long to make this port raises a lot of questions.
  • It's $15 again. I'm still going to buy it, even after the ridiculous wait.
  • It's $15 again.I'm still going to buy it, even after the ridiculous wait.
    Well, I might buy it now if I'm really bored. Even so, this makes the guy look very unprofessional.
  • The fact that it took them so long to make this port raises a lot of questions.
    The PC port was finished months ago, they just didn't want to release it when a load of other games were coming out.
  • The fact that it took them so long to make this port raises a lot of questions.
    The PC port was finished months ago, they just didn't want to release it when a load of other games were coming out.
    Well, that was very stupid. Months ago people were still hyped up about this game. Now the hype machine has died down, and a lot of people have forgotten about it. Also, the pricing issue didn't help them. Very bad PR.
  • You've got to be kidding me
    I am 100% confident that this guy can't code for shit.
  • You've got to be kidding me
    I am 100% confident that this guy can't code for shit.
    How so and why would that matter so much with a platformer?
  • How so and why would that matter so much with a platformer?
    I just recently learned how to make games with XNA, which is how you make games for the 360. It's such a nice system, that it is trivial to have the exact same game run on both platforms.

Even if someone coded the game just for one of the two platforms, it shouldn't take more than one man-day to get the game ported over in either direction. It's so stupidly easy.
    but itÂ’s only so that I can try to ship you guys a version that works well (which frankly is impossible in Windows, but the best I can do is make it work for most people most of the time).
    Such a simple thing should only be impossible in Windows if you have no clue what you are doing. Really? He can't get a 2d platform game to work in Windows the same as on the 360? There are a lot more complicated fancy games out there for Windows that do a lot more. There are definitely no technological limitations in his way. It must be a limitation of his coding abilities.
  • Meh, delaying to a more "profitable" month, it's fine to a degree. I mean, that was also the reason for the new Star Trek movie being delayed from its original release date as far as I know. But reading about the latest delay...the original release date was the end of 2008, they got three extra months or more to do something. It smells like laziness here.
  • edited April 2009
    Ok, Braid for the PC came out today, I tried playing the demo and it crashed on my attempt to start it.. I would try and download the demo from Steam but when the release time was reached, the links didn't appear and its disappeared from the "Coming Soon" section.

Oh, that's the UK Steam store, which I'm getting increasingly annoyed with.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • So... as one who has both a 360 and a gaming PC, which version of Braid would folks recommend I get? I've played neither version, and although there is a 360 demo, there is not a demo on Steam. Thoughts, anyone?
  • edited April 2009
    So... as one who has both a 360 and a gaming PC, which version of Braid would folks recommend I get? I've played neither version, and although there is a 360 demo, there is not a demo on Steam. Thoughts, anyone?
    I doubt it matters very much. The Xbox version will probably be a little more stable, and the PC version will let you use they keyboard.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I think I heard the PC version has some sort of editor mode, but don't quote me on that.