This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Braid

2»

Comments

• there is not a demo on Steam.
    Odd, the other services do. Try GreenHouse.
    I think I heard the PC version has some sort of editor mode
    I'm pretty sure the creator didn't add any features to the PC version (you can't even change the resolution).
  • edited April 2009
    So, I picked up the PC version, and after playing the demo on the 360, the one feature that it has that the 360 does not (or at least I did not discover) was the ability to rewind time at 2x, 4x, and 8x speed. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as the 360 version's demo, except the graphics occasionally tear a bit at the middle of my screen.
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • So, I picked up the PC version, and after playing the demo on the 360, the one feature that it has that the 360 does not (or at least I did not discover) was the ability to rewind time at 2x, 4x, and 8x speed. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as the 360 version's demo, except the graphics occasionally tear a bit at the middle of my screen.
    The 360 version does have that. It's mapped to RB.
  • If you've got the HD screen and the XBox is already there, I'd recommend you get it on the XBox, especially if your PC is a few years old.
  • I guess I was wrong about the existence of a level editor of some sort.
  • So I just played through the last part of Braid for about the third or fourth time and I've got to say, this is a great game. The reason I kinda exploded on someone about Braid's story in another thread is because I feel like this is a very important game. To say this is a game about finding a princess is like saying Watchmen is about retired superheroes tracking down a mask killer. It's true, but if you think that's all there is to it, you're seriously missing the point. Like others have said in this thread, you can't talk about this game until you've beaten it completely. That being said, Rym and Scott need to both beat this game (completely!) and do a spoilerific review of it. I'm interested to see how they'd interpret the game.
  • edited April 2009
    World one and the epilogue aren't that special and kinda short. It's a nice game and well implemented but doesn't really do anything new or better than it's been done before so, while I recommend you play it, I don't think much comment is necessary, there's not much to talk about in terms of gameplay or historic significance.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • It's a good game, for sure, but it's not the messiah people make it out to be. At the end of the day, the story is vague and simplistic, and while I enjoyed it immensely, it's really not a triple-A title.
  • edited April 2009
    It's a good game, for sure, but it's not the messiah people make it out to be. At the end of the day, the story is vague and simplistic, and while I enjoyed it immensely, it's really not a triple-A title.
    It's not triple-A because it's indie. Triple-A titles cost millions to make. That said, I have yet to play Braid.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • It's a good game, for sure, but it's not the messiah people make it out to be. At the end of the day, the story is vague and simplistic, and while I enjoyed it immensely, it's really not a triple-A title.
    It's not triple-A because it's indie. Triple-A titles cost millions to make. That said, I have yet to play Braid.
    I see Portal as the triple A equivalent of Braid. I prefer Portal because it's a lot more clever and subtle about it's story. Braid shoved it in your face without being straight about it, if that makes any sense.
  • Did anyone actually read those books?
  • edited April 2009
    Did anyone actually read those books?
    Yes, why wouldn't you? Because in Braid's case, that's like buying a comic book and only looking at the pictures.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • edited April 2009
    That's not the case when the story is so separate from the game. The ludonarrati-Urgh! *recovers from dropkick*-, sorry, the story in the game is just, complete levels, get pieces, Mario style. Pasting a story on top doesn't really make you want to read it. Fun platforming and standing still to read big blocks of text don't really work together, maybe some cut-scenes mixed in with puzzles would be nice.
    I'm not denying the presence of a story or it's quality but, at no point did I get the feeling that reading them was important or beneficial.
  • That's not the case when the story is so separate from the game.
    If you read all of them you'd have realized that they come together at the end.
  • edited April 2009
    So they're more of an extra than an actual part of the game?
    I've done all the levels so I could go back and read them but I'd probably just get distracted and start playing the actual game.
  • So they're more of an extra than an actual part of the game?
    I think they're part of the game. I mean, if you don't want to read the story that's fine with me, I just don't think you should say that World 1 and the epilogue were "nothing special" when you ignored the part of the game that they're a part of.
  • So they're more of an extra than an actual part of the game?
    I think they're part of the game. I mean, if you don't want to read the story that's fine with me, I just don't think you should say that World 1 and the epilogue were "nothing special" when you ignored the part of the game that they're a part of.
    Well then, they were obviously nothing special.
  • Fair enough.
  • This game is hard.
  • edited August 2009
    I admit I had to stick Nerf darts to my TV to figure out one of the puzzles.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • edited August 2009
    @Sail: Could you be more specific? It's challenging but, only zone six is really frustratingly hard.
  • I mean I really have trouble figuring out how to get half of the puzzle pieces.