This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Body Wash & Soaps

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
I currently use the Adidas Sport body wash, but I want to change it up. Any recommendations or just body wash you guys use? I think this could be a neat thread. ^_^

P.S.- I really never have been able to grasp how you use a bar of soap. It's always been the body wash for me, although I'm really curious, and would like to know.

Comments

• I mostly shower once a day, twice at most, and only use shampoo to wash my hair. I don't really see the point in using body wash, except of course when you've exercised heavily.
    As to bars of soap. As I play and teach the guitar I like to have my hands smooth and clean. The best way to do so is to wash them with soap!
  • Softsoap Milk Protein and Honey

I've been a fan of the Softsoap body washes for a while (Pomegranate and Mango ftw!), and this is the most recent one I've tried. Good stuff. They're mild, not too heavily perfumed, and don't dry you out that much. The Milk Protein and Honey one is a moisturizing body wash; it keeps my skin smooth and clean-feeling.

Also, totally not gay.
  • The Milk Protein and Honey one is a moisturizing body wash; it keeps my skin smooth and clean-feeling.
    Make of this what you will.
  • Aside from body wash, I picked up some Lavender VO5 shampoo & conditioner today. I, too, am a fan of lavender, but I get dandruff every once and a while, so I switch it up every couple of days or so.

Also, yes people- wash your fucking hands. I, too, play guitar, and it irritates me every time I see a dude walk out of a bathroom not having washed their hands, and pick up a guitar, or at any store really. Is it that hard to take, like, 15 seconds to clean your hands?
  • [I]t irritates me every time I see a dude walk out of a bathroom not having washed their hands
    Holy crap! Manners, have you been taught them. Seriously, tell those people that in their face. I'd rather sit next to someone who hasn't showered in a week than meet someone who hasn't washed his hands after his last visit to the bath room.

As for using soap to wash your body, one way I know is by using a wash cloth, just make it wet, rub the soap on it and then you can just wash your body with said cloth.
  • That Nivea commercial with all the high school/ college guys complaining about how the featured body wash doesn't have an overpowering smell cracks me up.
  • I use various body washes from Dial to Caress, however I tend to buy whatever has that cucumber or melon smell to it. I also use my body wash with the normal sized loofah that I replace every 3 months or so.
  • edited August 2008
    I'd rather sit next to someone who hasn't showered in a week than meet someone who hasn't washed his hands after his last visit to the bath room.
    I used to be that way. Then I realized that absolutely none of my guy friends wash their hands after they piss. Seeing as how I don't think I've ever gotten sick from them, I've gotten over it. I still wash mine, though.

Anyhow, I use a bar of dial soap. I either just wrap it in a washcloth, or I use my mom or sister's puff thingy. Yeah, it's totally gay, but it works really well and you don't need to use a lot of soap.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • (Pomegranate and Mango ftw!)
    *respeck knuckles*

I like body washes and a net sponge more than just a washcloth and a bar.

I use this blue gel like one at the moment. I can't describe the smell but it's suppose to smell like the tropics. :P
  • I used to be that way. Then I realized that absolutely none of my guy friends wash their hands after they piss. Seeing as how I don't think I've ever gotten sick from them, I've gotten over it. I still wash mine, though.
    I am not worried about getting sick. I am more worried about what else they haven't been taught.
  • Then I realized that absolutely none of my guy friends wash their hands after they piss.
    Id do wash my hands after, but I have to admit that it seems less hygienic to me.

This assumes that you are a male who has urinated. If you have one of those self-flushing urinals, you can leave the bathroom having only touched yourself. To wash your hands, you have to touch a faucet and paper towel dispenser that has been touched by hundreds of people. It seems that you'd be much more likely to catch germs this way. Of course if everything is touch-free, you have no worries.
  • It seems that you'd be much more likely to catch germs this way. Of course if everything is touch-free, you have no worries.
    Possibly yes, hence why you often see one push faucets along with motion-detecting hot air dryers here.
  • This assumes that you are a male who has urinated. If you have one of those self-flushing urinals, you can leave the bathroom having only touched yourself. To wash your hands, you have to touch a faucet and paper towel dispenser that has been touched by hundreds of people. It seems that you'd be much more likely to catch germs this way.
    Fecal bacteria migrate faster, further, and in greater quantity, than you would expect. Basically everything within the scope of your boxers/briefs is, shall we say, awash in them. It may look clean down there, but the Goths have most certainly immigrated from the south.
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    Just out of curiosity, how many of your soaps and body washes actually contain saponified oils?
    Post edited by jcc on
  • edited August 2008
    I'd rather sit next to someone who hasn't showered in a week than meet someone who hasn't washed his hands after his last visit to the bath room.
    I used to be that way. Then I realized that absolutely none of my guy friends wash their hands after they piss. Seeing as how I don't think I've ever gotten sick from them, I've gotten over it. I still wash mine, though.

Anyhow, I use a bar of dial soap. I either just wrap it in a washcloth, or I use my mom or sister'spuff thingy. Yeah, it's totally gay, but it works really well and you don't need to use a lot of soap.
    I have also been using one of those puff things. It's an Axe one that is black and has another, red, more rough surface on the other side, but I'd rather save a dollar or two, so I'm going to buy the normal ones once the Axe thing bites the dust.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • The way I see it is this:
    1. get soap. Place where you press is likely dirty as fuck, but hey, you haven't washed your hands yet, so it doesn't matter.
    2. turn on faucet- dirty, but again doesn't matter
    3. wash hands and shit
    4. turn off faucet- yeah, it'll be a bit unclean. Could be avoided if you use a paper towel or some other health-freak way of doing it
    5. get paper towels or whatever- I'd assume this is clean cause everyone who touches it has just washed their hands.
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    5. get paper towels or whatever- I'd assume this is clean cause everyone who touches it has just washed their hands.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Of course if everything is touch-free, you have no worries.
    I was at a motorway services that was almost like this. There was automatic urinal flushing, automatic tap, automatic soap, automatic drier. Great.

Then on the way out was a sign saying "How do you rate the cleanliness of our toilets?" With three buttons underneath labeled Great, Ok and Unsatisfactory. Oh, so close to the most perfect sanitary pissing experience ever. But then they asked me to touch... something.
  • This assumes that you are a male who has urinated. If you have one of those self-flushing urinals, you can leave the bathroom having only touched yourself. To wash your hands, you have to touch a faucet and paper towel dispenser that has been touched by hundreds of people. It seems that you'd be much more likely to catch germs this way.
    Fecal bacteria migrate faster, further, and in greater quantity, than you would expect. Basically everything within the scope of your boxers/briefs is, shall we say, awash in them. It may look clean down there, but the Goths have most certainly immigrated from the south.
    As a microbiologist, I echo this. Your junk is filthy. Seriously. Wash that shit. Often.

Yes, touching a faucet/knob is an excellent way to get bacteria on your hands. However, the odds are pretty good that your hands will be much cleaner overall with washing than without.

I'm a big fan of foot or knee-pedal sinks, myself.
  • Just out of curiosity, how many of your soaps and body washes actually contain saponified oils?
    Mine does. I use peppermint scented castile soap. I find that real soap works much better than the petroleum based "soaps" I used to bathe with. As an added bonus, the peppermint tingles as you scrub.
  • All I use is the soap that my mother makes. It's made from lard, lye, goat milk, and essential oils. It's got a mild but pleasant scent, it doesn't dry out my skin, and it's a relatively hard bar so it lasts a long time. So if you've got the time, resources, and drive for home-made lye soap, I think it's the way to go. :P
  • I use Axe Phoenix shower gel and some Aussie conditioner.
  • Lavender and coal tar soap. It gets me clean, and I smell good.

As for shampoo, eh. Whatever is available, usually Suave.
  • coal tar soap
    Just so ya know, coal tar is pretty carcinogenic.

My shower routine consists of scrubbing with a washcloth or bath scrubby towel, washing all over with soap, maybe putting some facial cleanser on, rinse, shampoo, condition, rinse, get out! (I also often brush my teeth in the shower. Is that weird?)I also like all those hippie dippy homemade soaps. I buy them from a little shop by my Aunt's house, and we are friends with the lady who makes the soap. My current bar smells like pine needles and has a sprig of cedar embedded in it. For shampoo, I'm all about the Burt's Bees stuff lately. It's expensive, but it's non-animal tested and it makes my hair really shiny! Like, silkier and shinier than it's been all year!

Some other body care products I am a fan of: Tom's of Maine toothpaste, Nature's Gate, Method Soaps, Bee and Flower Chinese soap.

Hey, does anyone here take baths? Do boys in America only take showers? I'd really like a Japanese style ofuro, especially in the winter.
  • Do boys in America only take showers?
    I occasionally take a bath, usually when I'm really sore.
  • Do boys in America only take showers?
    I occasionally take a bath, usually when I'm really sore.
    No offense, but you must stink.
  • I want to go to a Japanese style bath. Or have a house with a bathroom like that.
  • No offense, but you must stink.
    Let me rephrase. I take at least one shower a day. Sometimes, when I'm really sore, I'll soak in a hot tub for a while before showering off.
  • No offense, but you must stink.
    Let me rephrase. I take at least one shower a day. Sometimes, when I'm really sore, I'll soak in a hot tub for a while before showering off.
    Oh, my bad dood.
  • edited September 2008
    No offense, but you must stink.
    Oh, my bad dood.
    That was either a horrible attempt at trolling/being funny, or you are retarded.

Anyways...I never take baths. Too much work.
    Just so ya know, coal tar is pretty carcinogenic.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_tar#Safety
    That says if the product has less than 5% coal tar, it's no big deal. Over 5% and you're fucked, though. I wouldn't risk it, though. I used T-gel (uses coal tar) for a week or two back when I was 10 and had bad dandruff. Doubt it'll be any worse for me in the long run vs. smoking and being around people who smoke (my parents).
    Post edited by Dkong on