This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

This flamewar brought to you by: Abortion

1235»

Comments

• I am afraid to do ANYTHING... what if I destroy a single cell organism the has the potential to evolve into a unicorn!!!
    I love me some unicorns!
    Also, unicorns would be awesome but what about unicorns with wings? :D
    Pegasus always seemed a bit snooty to me. I like the earthier unicorns per the "De Historia Et Veritate Unicorns". I have had that book since before I can remember.
  • I like pegasus because it express certain air of gallantry and it would be a perfect companion for different adventures. Also, if it has a horn which can impale different enemies in mid-air :D
    Also, I much rather wear a armor representing an pegasus than the one of an unicorn.
    Don't hate me I just like saint seiya too much :D
  • Does Pegasus have a horn? I didn't think so. You want a unicorn/Pegasus hybrid... what kinda crazy fantasy land do you live in? ^_~
  • Does Pegasus have a horn? I didn't think so. You want a unicorn/Pegasus hybrid... what kinda crazy fantasy land do you live in? ^_~
    Is that a Unisus or a Pegacorn?
    Is that a Unisus or a Pegacorn?
    0_0 I suddenly saw Unisys in a whole new light.
  • edited February 2009
    0_0 I suddenly saw Unisys in a whole new light.
    sys != sus
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • My vote is for Pegacorn. Though if you switched it to PegaCRON it would sound like a mech...
  • 0_0 I suddenly saw Unisys in a whole new light.
    sys != sus
    I know that they're not the same, but it's like that moment someone pointed out that the letters with gold stars under them on the cover of Super Mario Galaxy spell out "u-r-mr-gay", even though it's not really what's going on, I can't un-see it.
    The G Gundam Fantasy?

@5:02
  • Pegacron indeed.
  • "any organism with the genome of homo sapiens"
    What's the official homo sapiens genome? There isn't one base pair every human on the planet shares. So what fraction of "official" still counts as human?
  • North Dakota: Fertilized eggs have human rights.
    I just think it's hilarious how the same people try to claim human rights for what are effectively microorganisms don't give those same human rights to actual children. Zygotes have rights, but teenagers don't even get the first amendment. I'll let the fertilized eggs have their rights if they give full civil liberties at the age of 0 instead of the age of 18.
  • There isn't one base pair every human on the planet shares.
    Um, what? That's not even remotely true.
    I might be getting this totally wrong, but every base pair has the same genes, but you have different genotypes. Every person will have a gene for making hair a certain color, but the color changes depending on what you got.
  • North Dakota: Fertilized eggs have human rights.
    The author of the bill, Rep. Dan Sullivan, R-Tulsa, said it is designed to stop couples from using the gender of a fetus as a reason to get an abortion. Sullivan said a doctor would be prohibited from performing an abortion if the mother specifically said the fetus' sex was the reason. However, he said there is no evidence the practice has occurred in Oklahoma. "I haven't received any definite information that proves it," Sullivan said.
    Acting on no evidence. How lovely. Why do these people keep getting elected?
  • Wha-Wha-What?!
  • Why do these people keep getting elected?
    Because too many of us think that politics is unimportant.
  • Um, what? That's not even remotely true.
    You're telling me that there's a nucleotide of which not a single human has a mutation in?
    I might be getting this totally wrong, but every base pair has the same genes, but you have different genotypes. Every person will have a gene for making hair a certain color, but the color changes depending on what you got.
    The word you're looking for is "allele." Broadly speaking, alleles are different "versions" of the same gene, and most people use the word "gene" to refer to coding alleles. Eye color is a good example: there is one coding gene that controls eye color, but there are several alleles of that gene. One allele might give you blue eyes while another gives you brown eyes. A "gene" is a genetic unit that determines a particular trait, and an "allele" is a specific iteration of a gene.

For many genes, there are (broadly) two alleles: mutant and wild-type. The wild-type allele is the normal functional version; mutant alleles are usually non-functional or have diminished functionality. This is most readily seen in prokaryotes, where each gene only produces one product; in these organisms, mutant alleles almost always result in a non-functional product. Eukaryotes, with their alternative splicing, are more complicated, but the general principles are the same. An example here came up in another discussion. The gene HEXA codes for a subunit of a specific enzyme. Excluding silent mutations, there is one functional allele of HEXA (as there is only one functional version of the gene product), and other distinct alleles are non-functional or can't be transported. Thus, there are effectively two forms: wild-type HEXA and mutant HEXA. There are like 90 or distinct mutant alleles of HEXA, but since they all result in the same thing (Tay-Sachs disease), the gene itself effectively has two settings.

This is an incredibly broad view of things. I'll elaborate when I have time. I should also say that I'm not a geneticist, and the genetics that I know best are prokaryotes (bacteria). Zibbelcoot is the resident genetics expert.
  • Um, what? That's not even remotely true.
    You're telling me that there's a nucleotide of whichnot a single humanhas a mutation in?
    That's not what you said. You said that no two humans share the same nucleotides. This is a completely different statement. Also, this is poorly worded. You're saying that there are mutations all over the place, which is true, but not all mutations are the same. There are some genes in which significant mutations are fatal: see Tay-Sachs.
  • Wow, there was just a lot of biology fail going on :-p
  • That's not what you said. You said that no two humans share the same nucleotides. This is a completely different statement.
    That is what I said, though.
    There isn't one base pair every human on the planet shares.
    I.e., there does not exist a (what's the word I'm looking for here? Locus?) single spot in their DNA that every human has the same C/G/A/T in.
    You're telling me that there's a nucleotide of which not a single human has a mutation in?
    Anyway, my point was how do we decide what genome is "official?" Who decides this?
  • edited February 2009
    I.e., there does not exist a (what's the word I'm looking for here? Locus?) single spot in their DNA that every human has the same C/G/A/T in.
    Locus is the correct word, though that usually refers to the location of a gene on a chromosome.

And there are many highly conserved regions of DNA in humans. However, if you're dead set on an example of completely conserved DNA, I will point out that there is only one valid sequence for transcription initiation: AUG (ATG in DNA). That codes for methionine, and it is the only sequence that does so. Any human with any mutation in that sequence will not make the gene product that it initiates, and in many cases that will be a fatal mutation.

EDIT: OK, I figured it out. You're using "genome" where you mean to use "genotype." A genome is a full collection of chromosomes, and thus genes, but "genome" does not refer to the specific alleles of those genes. When referring to specific alleles, the proper word to use is "genotype," no matter how many alleles you are referencing.

There is only one human genome (23 chromosomes and their associated genes), but there are multiple human genotypes.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on