This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Book Club: Snow Crash

RymRym
edited August 2008 in GeekNights
So, with the episode coming up, have any of you actually read Snow Crash?

Comments

• I read it a long time ago, but I need to freshen up.
  • I was able to visualize this much easier than Neuromancer. That might have had something to do with the fact that I read both of these books when they were new. When I read Neuromancer, the closest thing I had to an internet experience was reading intranet emails on a VAX machine and reading a BBS on a PDP DEC-10. When I read Snow Crash, I was able to imagine the world of the book a little better since I had a little more experience with computers and the internet by then (although I still hadn't actually used the internet - it was just something you would hear rumors about).
  • This is a book that I have wanted to read for a while now, but whenever I go to Barnes and Nobles or order something from Amazon it always slips my mind.
  • I'm about a 1/3 through it right now.
  • I read it pretty much right after it was announced as the next book. I'm looking forward to hearing what is said.
  • I read it about a year ago. I love it.
  • I have not yet finished it, what option do I pick? *forgot he was reading this*
  • I read it about a year ago. I love it.
  • I'm about halfway through. I'll be able to finish it tomorrow, if the episode is coming up. I finally picked up Watchmen, so that took priority.
  • I put it on my list of books to read but I'm behind on the entire list, not just this book. And I was one person who said "8 weeks? I don't need 8 weeks to read one book!"
  • I read it probably a decade ago, but I've been listening to the audiobook off and on.
  • I was planning on reading it after The Prince of Nothing series. However, thanks to a series of unfortunate events, I haven't even started The Thousandfold Thought yet, even though I finished the first two within ten days.
  • There are far too many good or intriguing books in need of reading. I'll listen to the podcast and shall probably add Snow Crash to my Book List of Vague Intent afterwards. The aforementioned Neuromancer is somewhere on there too, so it shouldn't feel lonely.
  • The "Baddest Motherfucker in the World" Has got to be one of the most profound, profane quote that I enjoy.
  • I downloaded it from Audible during my 'free trial' period and I'm now halfway through my second time listening to it. I also bought the book and loaned it to a friend so she could actually read it.
  • I've read the book, and I really like it a lot, but as far as I'm concerned, it can't hold a candle to the Cryptonomicon / Baroque Cycle combo. But still pretty good.
  • This book is on my list, however it's a few books down on the list. I probably won't be reading this for a few months.
  • I read about two-thirds of it and completely lost interest.
  • I actually first read it back in college for what was clearly the coolest class on the planet. Since then, I believe I have re-read it once... maybe two years ago during lunch breaks at work, I think it was? I don't see myself having the time to re-read it again in time for a show on it, but I'm none-the-less looking forward to the discussions on it.
  • As I have said before, I could not finish Snow Crash... the writing was painful.
  • As I have said before, I could not finish Snow Crash... the writing was painful.
    I did find it really awkward at the beginning, but over time I got used to it, and really got engrossed.
  • Still one of my favorite books from high school. It dealt with MMO's before MMO's
  • Haven't finished it. Should read it again to do so.
  • It dealt with MMO's before MMO's
    It was the inspiration for Second Life.
  • I read about two-thirds of it and completely lost interest.
    But I think I only got half way trough it.
  • Have read it, probably about five years ago, so I probably won't remember big chunks of it. Don't have the time to reread any.
  • When is this episode coming out?
  • I actually forgot all about the book club, bought it like 2 weeks ago and read it. Either that, or it was my subconscious.
  • Oh man, what a book. I was thinking of how to get to school quickly without buying a car, and I was, like, "Man, If I had a 'poon and a board, Hot shit."
    I recommend getting the audio book if you don't have time to sit down and read it. You can find it on the pirate bay.
  • This is one of the very few novels I've bothered to re-read. It has become a sort of a Shibboleth.
    What's a redneck katana?
    Let's get Uncle Enzo's Pizza, you think it'll be here in time?

Stuff like that. :: grin :: Damn... Now I want to go read it it again...