This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favorite High School Films

GeoGeo
edited September 2008 in Everything Else
I finished watching Dazed and Confused for like the 4th time (it's been about 3 years since I saw it last), and I started to wonder what mine and everyone else's (at least on this forum) favorite high school films are. I'm talking about real high school films like Dazed and Confused, Sixteen Candles, Fast Times at Ridgemont High (everybody has the same favorite scene in that movie apparently), etc. I'm not in any way at all talking about stupid teen films (imo) like the painfully dragged out American Pie series, She's All That, etc.

My personal favorite high school films in no particular order are the following

Dazed and Confused
Animal House
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Back to the Future Part I
Sixteen Candles
The Breakfast Club

That's all I've got for now, maybe I'll some more when I find some high school flicks that are actually worth watching among all the dreck today.

Comments

• Isn't Animal House technically a "college film", if I correctly understand your definition of a "high school film"?
  • Rushmore. Wes Anderson is awesome.
  • edited September 2008
    Rushmore. Wes Anderson is awesome.
    "I like your nurse's uniform, guy."
    "These are O.R. scrubs."
    "O.R. they?"
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Rushmore is great!
  • Not the High School Musical series. I had to watch both, since there was a chance of me getting to make out with my little cousin's baby sitter.
  • Rushmore. Wes Anderson is awesome.
    "I like your nurse's uniform, guy."
    "These are O.R. scrubs."
    "O.R. they?"
    The rivalry montage set to The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away" is the best scene of the movie.
  • The only things that come to mind are Breakfast club and, strangely, Footloose. I really like Footloose for reasons I can't explain.
  • Breakfast Club all the way. It's iconic!
  • Dazed and Confused and Breakfast Club are really, really excellent. But I think I need to throw out the classics - Rebel Without a Cause and American Graffiti. Too damn good. And yes, the main characters in American Graffiti have graduated, but they haven't gone to college yet, and they're still really connected to high school. It's about high school.
  • Dazed and Confused and Breakfast Club are really, really excellent. But I think I need to throw out the classics - Rebel Without a Cause and American Graffiti. Too damn good. And yes, the main characters in American Graffiti have graduated, but they haven't gone to college yet, and they're still really connected to high school. It's about high school.
    I feel ashamed to say this, but I haven't seen those yet.
  • Not the High School Musical series. I had to watch both, since there was a chance of me getting to make out with my little cousin's baby sitter.
    Those movies are an abomination compared to almost any other musical out there.
    As for High School movies, I love Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
  • The Village of the Dammed. (The English one, not the American one)
    "Why are you thinking of a brick wall?"
    Although not sure that it really counts but it features children and a school at some point so I'm going to say it anyway.
    Kes has the best P.E scene in it ever, although if you're not from the north of England you may have to put on subtitles to understand what's going on as the actors in it have proper South Yorkshire accents.
  • They made us watch Kes in school when I was about 13.
  • Reality Bites
    Some Kind of Wonderful
    Wayne's World
    Billy Madison
    Tommy Boy
  • edited September 2008
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Not necessarily my favorite, but worth mentioning: Stand and Deliver. I had a thing for Lou Diamond Phillips, and I remember our AP Calculus teacher making us watch this, even though I've already seen it several times before.
  • Not necessarily my favorite, but worth mentioning:Stand and Deliver. I had a thing for Lou Diamond Phillips, and I remember our AP Calculus teacher making us watch this, even though I've already seen it several times before.
    We watched a South Park that parodied this movie. Rym seems to think there are a "bunch of other movies just like it". He still hasn't presented any of them.
  • Does Goonies count?
  • Does Goonies count?
    I would say so.
    TRUFFLE SHUFFLE!
  • Does Goonies count?
    I'm not sure, but I think it's in the middle
  • Mine has always been Ferris Bueler's Day off. One of my favorite scenes was when they showed Ben Stien as the teacher saying Bueler over and over again during roll call.
  • Mine has always been Ferris Bueler's Day off. One of my favorite scenes was when they showed Ben Stien as the teacher saying Bueler over and over again during roll call.
    I am going to be seeing that very VERY soon. I'm 18 and I've never seen it yet, go ahead and ostracize me for this because everyone I know has done it.
    I am going to be seeing that very VERY soon. I'm 18 and I've never seen it yet, go ahead and ostracize me for this because everyone I know has done it.
    Not at all, but I will tell you to watch through the credtis for something special at the end. ;)
    Not at all, but I will tell you to watch through the credtis for something special at the end. ;)
    Thanks for the tip.
  • Dazed and Confused(1993)
    Animal House (1978)
    Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)
    Back to the Future Part I (1985)
    Sixteen Candles (1984)
    The Breakfast Club (1985)
    I'm 18
    I find it funny that from all these movies you have as your favorites, all but one of the movies came out before you were even born.
  • We watched a South Park that parodied this movie. Rym seems to think there are a "bunch of other movies just like it". He still hasn't presented any of them.
    Umm, Up the Down Staircase is probably the archtypical one. Every "high school teacher overcomes adversity and poverty to help his inner-city students" movie seems a pale shadow of it. Of course, you could go further back into the classic "tough Catholic priest with the heart of gold teaches at the orphanage" genre, which usually also involves boxing.
  • Of course, you could go further back into the classic "tough Catholic priest with the heart of gold teaches at the orphanage" genre, which usually also involves boxing.
    The Bells of St. Mary's
  • edited September 2008
    Rym, have you seen Rushmore? You remind me of Max Fischer sometimes. I'd imagine that's how you acted in high school.
    Post edited by whatever on