This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spore Piracy

edited September 2008 in Video Games
The topic of game piracy has come up again because of the early release of Spore on bittorrent. In light of this, I made a poll to see if my guess is correct.

Comments

• I'm buying the direct download version of the game. I'm trying to avoid having to have CDs/DVDs around for game installs.
  • I voted when its cheaper, but if they release it via steam like software or lessen the DRM, I'd buy it at current price.
  • I'll buy Spore later on, and I'm not pirating it because neither my desktop or laptop can run the game.
  • I voted when its cheaper, but if they release it via steam like software or lessen the DRM, I'd buy it at current price.
    My feelings exactly. I'm not a fan of the DRM nonsense at all.
  • Pirating it now to buy it when it's cheaper is no better than just pirating it...
  • Pirating it now to buy it when it's cheaper is no better than just pirating it...
    You are probably right, I'd still buy it when its cheaper (unless it totally sucks)
  • My brother plans on buying it for his birthday, so I'm in good shape.
  • I wish I had time to play games : (
    I'll probably buy if for my girlfriend though, as she's quite fond of anything related at all to the Sims.
  • I think your sample is not representative of the population ^_^
  • edited September 2008
    People aren't entitled to media. Sure, there may be a fuzzy line for online media and time shifting (I pay for cable T.V so technically I've already bought shows like Colbert and Daily Show). Additionally with the rise of Hulu and similar sites, it won't become an issue anymore. I actually purchase all my media now (I use iTunes for music). Yes, it's DRM'd, but I'm wiling to live with that for the moment and show the companies that they can trust us. By pirating your media, you just push the media companies to become even more draconian, no matter what your "intentions" are.

People bitch about PC gaming dying. Well it's because people pirate games like Spore that causes them to go to closed platforms like the Xbox and Playstation. It's insanely hard to pirate games for those platforms and they make a lot more money because of it. You people need to learn, the only way to get DRM gone is to stop pirating their shit, no matter what they do.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • People bitch about PC gaming dying. Well it's because people pirate games like Spore that causes them to go to closed platforms like the Xbox and Playstation.
    I still believe that this is a tiny factor. The complexity and cost of PCs is a much greater concern.
  • I still believe that this is a tiny factor. The complexity and cost of PCs is a much greater concern.
    Maybe, but that doesn't mean companies won't blame it on piracy.
  • Why don't you buy your music from the Amazon MP3 store where it isn't DRM'd? We can get rid of DRM without pirating. PC gaming, audible, and iTunes are really the only places that DRM still thrives. Just about every other media source has switched to streaming (no drm necessary) or no DRM.

The point I'm trying to make with my poll (yes, I know the poll doesn't really mean anything because it isn't a proper scientific study) is that I don't believe there are actually a significant number of people who pirate things and would have bought those things if piracy was not an option. I used to pirate everything like crazy, but my rate of piracy decreased as my money increased. I was only pirating because I couldn't afford to have the media otherwise. If piracy was not an option I would have simply gone without.

I look at the new DS pirate thingy I have. What am I using it for? I'm using it to play DS and GBA games that are impossible for me to buy reasonably. That includes foreign games and games that are out of print and hard to find. I'm also using it to play games that I would not have bought or played if piracy were not an option.

Media has different values to different people. To some people Spore is worth $100. To some people it's worth $50. To others it is worth $5. In the olden days, the days of my parents, the people for whom it was worth $5 would simply go without. If a new record came out, people willing to pay for it, paid for it. Others opted to listen to it at a friends house, or not listen at all. People "owned' a lot less media. Today there is one difference. People willing to pay for things pay for them, but people who aren't willing to pay get them for free. If piracy were somehow nonexistent, the only difference would be that people who are not willing to pay wouldn't play.

Think about the anime fansubs. What if anime fansubs disappeared? I wouldn't watch. Simple as that. My spending on anime DVDs and related merchandise would go unchanged. In fact, I would probably spend less because I wouldn't be informed and excited about new shows. I think about NES games when I was a kid. My parents would only buy me so many. I had to trade with friends, or play at friend's houses, to get more gaming going on. If piracy had been possible at that time, I would have played a lot more games, but I would have spent the same amount of money in the end.

Another thing about piracy is time. Any pirating, even simple bittorrent, is more inconvenient than buying. It's a lot easier to buy something on Amazon than to bittorrent it. Kids with very little money, lots of free time, and a huge demand for media to occupy them, are going to pirate. The inconvenience for them is cheaper than the money they save. For people like myself the time is worth more than the money, so piracy becomes very unattractive.

The pirates I see are punk kids with no money in the first place. The pirates I see are people who only have a passing interest, and simply wouldn't have bothered if piracy weren't an option. The pirates I see are bootleggers trying to make a profit, who don't actually care about actually consuming the media. The pirates I see are people who are technically breaking the law, but are doing good by bringing media across international borders for the world to enjoy. Where is the truly evil pirate? Where is the person who pirates things, and never buys them, but would buy them if piracy weren't an option? Where are these people? I am sure that they exist, but I am confident that their numbers are so low as to be insignificant in the grand scheme.
  • edited September 2008
    I'm buying it tomorrow. I only really pirate TV shows because they take so long to come out here in the UK (sometimes movies also, but not often). I hardly ever pirate games and the only one I have is one I had a legal serial code for but no software.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • I look at the new DS pirate thingy I have. What am I using it for? I'm using it to play DS and GBA games that are impossible for me to buy reasonably. That includes foreign games and games that are out of print and hard to find. I'm also using it to play games that I would not have bought or played if piracy were not an option.
    I think this is a very valid reason. If companies are too stupid to release media digitally all over the world and provide no reasonable way for it to be acquired in your country, then I think there may be room to pirate it.
  • I think this is a very valid reason. If companies are too stupid to release media digitally all over the world and provide no reasonable way for it to be acquired in your country, then I think there may be room to pirate it.
    Is not being able to afford it a reason? Let's say you are broke. Home foreclosed bankrupt broke. You need every dollar to pay bills and eat. A new movie comes out on DVD that you want to see. All you have left is a computer and Internet connection, as you need it to find jobs. Should you not pirate the movie? You couldn't buy it anyway. You aren't depriving anyone of anything. You're copying, not stealing. Are you saying someone should sit there and cry, or is it ok for them to break copyright law to escape from their troubles? For the sake of argument, the library doesn't have the movie yet.
  • Is not being able to afford it a reason? Let's say you are broke. Home foreclosed bankrupt broke. You need every dollar to pay bills and eat. A new movie comes out on DVD that you want to see. All you have left is a computer and Internet connection, as you need it to find jobs. Should you not pirate the movie? You couldn't buy it anyway. You aren't depriving anyone of anything. You're copying, not stealing. Are you saying someone should sit there and cry, or is it ok for them to break copyright law to escape from their troubles? For the sake of argument, the library doesn't have the movie yet.
    I didn't know people were entitled to media. Again, I admit it's a fuzzy line, however if it's available to you legally, you need to pay for it. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be wasting your time with media anyways.
  • I didn't know people were entitled to media. Again, I admit it's a fuzzy line, however if it's available to you legally, you need to pay for it. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be wasting your time with media anyways.
    You're a punk kid. You've got hours and hours of free time. You've got no money. You've beaten every video game you have, watched every movie, and listened to every song. You're bored. Your parents won't buy you anything. Last time your parents bought you a video game, there was another game that was your second choice. You know they aren't going to buy you another game until the holidays, and by then a new game will be out that you will want more. Odds are you will never buy that second choice game. Sure, the kid should probably find something productive to do with his time, like build something, learn something, or go outside. But even so, is pirating really that wrong? Do you believe in no harm no foul? Or are you saying there is harm there?
  • edited September 2008
    But even so, is pirating really that wrong? Do you believe in no harm no foul? Or are you saying there is harm there?
    Do you believe that people are entitled to whatever media they want? Do creators deserve payment for their product? Perhaps you should stop coming up with specific situations in which it may, slightly be ok to pirate a little, and actually address the principle of piracy and capitalism as a whole.

Would you shoplift a loaf of bread from a store? No one is really going to miss it, it's only a couple dollars and the bread manufacturers make millions probably. No harm no foul, right?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Do you believe in no harm no foul? Or are you saying there is harm there?
    A wonderfully distilled question.

All copyright issues really come down to "no harm, no foul." Either one believes in this doctrine, one doesn't, or one has a complicated rationale for a grey area between the two.

Of course, some people, "harm, still no foul" is the phrase, but that's an essentially different argument altogether.
  • edited September 2008
    Would you shoplift a loaf of bread from a store? No one is really going to miss it, it's only a couple dollars and the bread manufacturers make millions probably. No harm no foul, right?
    The situation is fundamentally different. When you take a loaf of bread from the store you are depriving someone else of bread. What if you had some machine which magically spewed out infinity breads at effectively no cost? The machine even breaks the laws of conservation of matter, so you don't even need to insert wheat. Sure, someone had to come up with the bread recipe, but now the world has infinite bread. Not only would you say it would be ok for someone to take a bread. You could argue that there would be a moral imperative to provide bread to every person.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited September 2008
    I look at the new DS pirate thingy I have. What am I using it for? I'm using it to play DS and GBA games that are impossible for me to buy reasonably. That includes foreign games and games that are out of print and hard to find. I'm also using it to play games that I would not have bought or played if piracy were not an option.
    I think this is a very valid reason. If companies are too stupid to release media digitally all over the world and provide no reasonable way for it to be acquired in your country, then I think there may be room to pirate it.
    So, since i live in Costa Rica and no one here buys licenses for distribution, and companies don't market to my country, you'd then approve of me pirating spore? and imports are not reasonable (up to 80% import tax on consumer electronics and entertainment (50% to 60% with video games) plush shipping costs?))

****Re-Checked, it's now down to 30% - 50% on consumer electronics and entertainment
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Would you shoplift a loaf of bread from a store? No one is really going to miss it, it's only a couple dollars and the bread manufacturers make millions probably. No harm no foul, right?
    Some harm was still done. A small amount, admittedly, but harm nonetheless.

The analogy is flawed. In copyright, can a person who would not have consumed the media otherwise be considered to have harmed the creator?
  • Would you shoplift a loaf of bread from a store? No one is really going to miss it, it's only a couple dollars and the bread manufacturers make millions probably. No harm no foul, right?
    Some harm was still done. A small amount, admittedly, but harm nonetheless.

The analogy is flawed. In copyright, can a person who would not have consumed the media otherwise be considered to have harmed the creator?
    Not just the creator, anyone at all.
  • I would probably play it, but I tried to run the creature creator on my laptop and it didn't work. So I'm not even going to try now. I would've thought about it if it did run though.
  • Someone finally voted for the evil option. Who are you? Fess up? We want to learn from you.
  • edited September 2008
    Someone finally voted for the evil option. Who are you? Fess up? We want to learn from you.
    Just put on a black mustache and goatee and you'll be Evil Scott. ^_~
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited September 2008
    Pirating it now to buy it when it's cheaper is no better than just pirating it...
    How so? The way I see it, if you pirate it, you give the creators $0. If you pirate it, but buy it when the price drops to, say, $30, you're giving the creators $30.

As for as morals go, pirating it < pirating, waiting for price to drop and purchasing then < buying it now.

EDIT: I picked the "Pirating because I'm poor, otherwise I wouldn't play the game at all" option, but my torrent is going 1.5kb/s when I'm lucky, so I won't get to play the game until there are more seeds.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
    edited September 2008
    I picked the last option. I completely forgot about the game, and that it was actually coming out. I have a CD lying on my desk that has the demo of the Spore Creature creator on it, I haven't even pulled it out of the carton 'case' since I got it. The last game I pirated was Portal if I recall correctly, when it just came out. This because a) I was excited about this game, a lot even, and b) I was broke. Since then I have obtained money and bought the entire Orange Box. As for pirating of games before Portal, Douglas Adams' Starship Titanic was before (I might have pirated this after Portal, I no longer remember exactly), and this because, well I had never heard about it before, let alone seen it for sale anywhere. Though I have never installed it, tried under Wine, but failed and thus haven't done anything with it yet. Further back was PC drought, I was perfectly happy with the games I had (those were obtained legally), and wasn't that interested in gaming for quite a while. Till of course Portal came out.

Spore, blah, it might be fun, but it doesn't excite me, so I don't see a reason to spend a lot of money on it.

EDIT:
    As for as morals go, pirating it < pirating, waiting for price to drop and purchasing then < no pirating, waiting for price drop, then buying it < buying it now.
    Addition added.
    Post edited by ... on
  • So, since i live in Costa Rica and no one here buys licenses for distribution, and companies don't market to my country, you'd then approve of me pirating spore? and imports are not reasonable (up to 80% import tax on consumer electronics and entertainment (50% to 60% with video games) plush shipping costs?))

****Re-Checked, it's now down to 30% - 50% on consumer electronics and entertainment
    Can't you purchase it digitally via the EA downloader?
    I don't think it's a matter of "harm". The issue is whether people deserve to make money on their intellectual property if they wish. Are media careers obsolete now? Will people who create content no longer be paid for their creations? Do they deserve to be paid?