This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spore Piracy

124»

Comments

• They'll make it work. :) There's a lot of money riding on it, so if they know what's good for them, they'll pay handsomely for workability. Sucks for media fans, though. :/ Anyhow, I thought DRM simply attempted to prevent copying? I wasn't aware they'd also tried to create files that would only work for an artificially limited period of time even for the original purchaser...
    Many companies have tried exactly what you are talking about many times already. The first attempt was the original divx. It has failed spectacularly every time. Expiring DRM has failed so much worse than normal anti-copying DRM, so nobody even tries it anymore.
  • edited September 2008
    I was 'dumb' enough to buy the Galactic edition, god it better be worth the $84.07 I paid for it; that's 2.5 months of my gaming budget.
    Edit: To make this post relevant, my philosophy is a game by game basis. For example: Skyshiro gifted me the two HL2 episodes, but I never played HL2. I made the decision to pirate a copy after the fact that buying anything from Steam is not going to happen, and no Game Stop or EB Games had a copy in SE Wisconsin or Northern Illinois. The only other times were Portal, but I bought a legal copy later, and Bioshock. The only other ones where System Shock 2, even though I could never get it to work, and since it's an older game, I would be very hard to find.

So overall, my rule of thumb is: If it's more than 5 years or so old and you can't easily get a legal copy, then fire up teh bit torrent.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • I pirated this game to get it before the release and see how I liked it. After I discovered that "yes, this game is worth my time" I bought it and am pretty pleased with it so far. Will Wright makes a good point though:

"We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players. Spore has more depth than, let’s say, The Sims did. But we looked at the Metacritic scores for Sims 2, which was around 90, and something like Half-Life, which was 97, and we decided — quite a while back —- that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of Half-Life," Will Wright

This game is obviously not for a "hardcore" audience. I am OK admitting it is lacking in areas, but that doesn't change the fact that I enjoy playing it.
  • Capitalism has no reasonable solution for market saturation
    Forgive my relative inexperience with economics, but when will the market ever be saturated? I would think that as firms perceive saturation on the horizon, they will adapt by innovating. Thus, the "solution" wouldn't really be an expansion of the market, but perhaps a foray into alternate goods, and an expansion of technology through innovation. Rather than using DRM and self-destructing DVDs, firms can ensure they continue to make the sale by changing the very goods/services they produce.

And as a side note, I'm getting more used and accustomed to Steam-ing games. I'm pretty sure that if Steam had Spore I'd buy it, but right now it's a little pricey for my wallet (I'm a college kid heh)
  • after the fact that buying anything from Steam is not going to happen,
    why the hell not?
  • I wish Spore was available on Steam. I would have purchased it that way instead of from a store where it installs SecuROM on my PC and only allows me to install the game 3 times because of their validation methods. Shit, just by changing my hardware it takes away a validation. I paid $60-70 to borrow a game it seems.

At least with Steam you can re download your games whenever you want.
  • Forgive my relative inexperience with economics, but when will the market ever be saturated?
    When everyone who demands it has been supplied.

Right now there are a lot of iPods and iPhones out there. But, I can bet you there are still people who want iPods and iPhones who don't have them. Imagine if everyone in the world who wanted an iPod or iPhone got one. This is why Apple has to keep making newer and better ones, to recreate the demand. Then they fulfill that demand, mostly, then recreate the demand again.

If you make something like a song, and everyone who wants that song gets the mp3, the market is saturated. Nobody wants it anymore. Supply infinity, demand zero, price zero.
  • I think you can unvalidate to get back validations, like iTunes does with authorizing computers to play DRMed music.
  • They'll make it work. :) There's a lot of money riding on it, so if they know what's good for them, they'll pay handsomely for workability. Sucks for media fans, though. :/ Anyhow, I thought DRM simply attempted to prevent copying? I wasn't aware they'd also tried to create files that would only work for an artificially limited period of time even for the original purchaser...
    Many companies have tried exactly what you are talking about many times already. The first attempt was the original divx. It has failed spectacularly every time. Expiring DRM has failed so much worse than normal anti-copying DRM, so nobody even tries it anymore.
    And if they ever did get it to work, I'm sure the masses would not like it.

I'm waiting for something to trigger a consumer revolt...
  • And if they ever did get it to work, I'm sure the masses would not like it.
    They can't. If you can see it, you can record it. If you can hear it, you can record it. If you can access it, you can copy it. Period.

DRM fails because it essentially has to trust the adversarial party with the "private" key. There's no way for that to work, and the best you can hope for is to delay said piracy. There is really no way around this.
  • edited September 2008
    edit: I thought this didn't look very politically correct so I figured I should change it. If somebody I know gets this, and tells me it's the super amazingly of awesomeness, I'll buy it, maybe.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • I will not be buying this game, even though I want it. I would rather not pirate it either.

As I understand the constraints of the DRM, the game can only be installed three times. This will make the game pretty much useless to me.

I have a computer with not a lot of memory. Yes, I could get more memory, blah, blah, blah. This is not the issue. The way I "do' games is to install the game, play it until I beat it or am bored with it, and uninstall to free up memory it.so I can install another game that I want to play at the time.

If I can only install it only three times, than I can only enjoy it three times. That is not worth it to me. I have Portal. I have installed it many times when I feel like playing it. I have installed Myst: Uru, which is my favorite game for some strange reason, over 20 times. There is no point to me paying for a game that I can only install three times. I simply will not get my money's worth out of it.
  • I have a computer with not a lot of memory. Yes, I could get more memory, blah, blah, blah. This is not the issue. The way I "do' games is to install the game, play it until I beat it or am bored with it, and uninstall to free up memory it.so I can install another game that I want to play at the time.
    Ah, that is not memory. You're talking about hard disk space. How big is your hard drive as to result in you having to remove stuff before you can reinstall another game? Big hard drives are very cheap these days, and gives a lot of possibilities.
  • edited September 2008
    I have a computer with not a lot of memory. Yes, I could get more memory, blah, blah, blah. This is not the issue. The way I "do' games is to install the game, play it until I beat it or am bored with it, and uninstall to free up memory it.so I can install another game that I want to play at the time.
    Ah, that is not memory. You're talking about hard disk space. How big is your hard drive as to result in you having to remove stuff before you can reinstall another game? Big hard drives are very cheap these days, and gives a lot of possibilities.
    This is off topic, but, what I figured about hard disk space is, no matter how much I got, I'll allways fill it up, and it never takes long. I remember when I got my 160gb hard disk, it was the bomb, it was so much space... but I already knew what was gonna happen to it from previous experience. So, I partitioned it in 3 parts, personal, system and media. So my personal partition, is doing just fine, the media... not so much I have to do periodic cleansing of it. Now the system is where I put all my programs and games, so, I usually can only have about 4 games on it, then I just erase the one I enjoy the least before I get a new one.
    So I'm fine with the 160gb I've had for a while, and will only get another one when this starts to fail, and go through the same process, and police myself not to use all of it in the first week or so.
    Probably most people do that, but for those that don't I just think it's a better alternative then buying infinite hard disk space, and also cheaper.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • Spore is the worst game to pirate. I'm assuming that you can't use the online content in the game, which ruins the entire point of the game. I find it really fun to go destroy a creature in the civilization stage, while your in the space stage, and the creature happens to be made by someone with the name "xXaNnaLpIrATe123Xx."

Sharing what you make with the world and looking at the awesome stuff that other people make is just staggering. Going to planets that have a creature with a name written in Japanese or in Russian and stating a trade root or alliance is just mind blowing, and I have only just begun.

Let me know if you see the MechHogs Empire.
  • This is off topic, but, what I figured about hard disk space is, no matter how much I got, I'll allways fill it up, and it never takes long. I remember when I got my 160gb hard disk, it was the bomb, it was so much space... but I already knew what was gonna happen to it from previous experience. So, I partitioned it in 3 parts, personal, system and media. So my personal partition, is doing just fine, the media... not so much I have to do periodic cleansing of it. Now the system is where I put all my programs and games, so, I usually can only have about 4 games on it, then I just erase the one I enjoy the least before I get a new one.
    So I'm fine with the 160gb I've had for a while, and will only get another one when this starts to fail, and go through the same process, and police myself not to use all of it in the first week or so.
    Probably most people do that, but for those that don't I just think it's a better alternative then buying infinite hard disk space, and also cheaper.
    Whahahaa, I have that too. On a 500 GB scale. :) I have a separate 160GB drive for Windows, on which I put all my games, and 50GB is a large enough partition for that.
  • I have a computer with not a lot of memory. Yes, I could get more memory, blah, blah, blah. This is not the issue. The way I "do' games is to install the game, play it until I beat it or am bored with it, and uninstall to free up memory it.so I can install another game that I want to play at the time.
    Ah, you are correct. I was mixing my terms up. I understand the root problem is me not having the space on my hard drive that I really should have. However, I resent a game "forcing" me to be proactive when I've managed to get by with what I have so far.

Also, I'm a little anal retentive and OCD. I don't like having too many programs on my computer at once, even if I have the memory. I know it's a little silly but it's how I like things. I probably would still delete games even if I had the space for them.
  • However, I resent a game "forcing" me to be proactive when I've managed to get by with what I have so far.

Also, I'm a little anal retentive and OCD. I don't like having too many programs on my computer at once, even if I have the memory. I know it's a little silly but it's how I like things. I probably would still delete games even if I had the space for them.
    Still driving the old Model T?
  • However, I resent a game "forcing" me to be proactive when I've managed to get by with what I have so far.

Still driving the old Model T?
    Hey, as long the T model works, it's good enough for him.
    edited October 2008
    Hey, as long the T model works, it's good enough for him.
    It's extremely stupid to drive a model T. Safety. Then again, most Americans have no brains to splatter over the windscreen anyways. But besides it being extremely unsafe, it's probably also illegal (due to it being unsafe), drives like crap, drives horribly slow, and knows not even the letters that comprise 'fuel economy'. Todays cars at least know those two words. Whether they do anything with it is a different topic. It should be pointed out that it's a horrible analogous joke.
    Post edited by ... on
  • it's probably also illegal (due to it being unsafe)
    It's not illegal.
  • it's probably also illegal (due to it being unsafe)
    It's not illegal.
    Oh? I thought the lack of a seatbelt would make it illegal over there.
  • Oh? I thought the lack of a seatbelt would make it illegal over there.
    There are grandfather clauses on old cars. For example, the law says that all new cars have to have airbags. However, cars that were made before that law are still ok.
  • There are grandfather clauses on old cars. For example, the law says that all new cars have to have airbags. However, cars that were made before that law are still ok.
    Airbags I knew, but seatbelt-less cars are also still legal? Wow.
  • Airbags I knew, but seatbelt-less cars are also still legal? Wow.
    I don't know specifically about the seatbelts. However, I definitely do know that it is legal to drive a Model T on the road, because I've seen them on their way to car shows. I even read a story about a guy who still has his original, it still works, and he still uses it as his primary car. He just took care of it for all these years. I would guess that it might be illegal to drive on the highway, if you can't go fast enough, and you might have to modify it to add signal lights and such.
  • edited October 2008
    and knows not even the letters that compromise 'fuel economy'.
    That seemed very strange when I read it. 'Comprise' rather than 'compromise,' perhaps? Sure, perhaps the car is doing some compromising, but not the letters.
    This post wasn't solely for the purpose of correcting grammar, because it was a strange enough mistake that it screwed with the meaning of the post.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Would a Model T go fast enough to severely injure someone?
  • Would a Model T go fast enough to severely injure someone?
    40-45mph, so yeah, it's possible. Not to mention that other cars go faster.
  • Where was the "I'm downloading Spore because I download everything with wanton negligence" in the poll?