This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Question for Computer Scientists

edited September 2008 in Technology
What are some good classes that compliment Computer Science? I know the obvious Math and Physics, but what are some less obvious ones?

Comments

• What do you want to do with a CS degree? There are so many things, that it's hard to say without more specifics.
  • What do you want to do with a CS degree? There are so many things, that it's hard to say without more specifics.
    Write software, become a teacher, and not fail at life. I basically just wanna know the lesser known subjects that help CS.
  • Write software, become a teacher, and not fail at life. I basically just wanna know the lesser known subjects that help CS.
    Athletics. Public speaking. Technical writing.
  • edited September 2008
    Athletics. Public speaking. Technical writing.
    We have to take a class on technical writing and documentation of code and creating presentations. Why athletics may I ask? Is it to boost my metabolism so I won't become obese from sitting on my ass?
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • You can't be a teacher without an education degree. You'll have to double-major.
  • Why athletics may I ask? Is it to boost my metabolism so I won't become obese from sitting on my ass?
    Because it's fun. Because it's good for you. Do you really need any more reason than that?
  • RymRym
    edited September 2008
    Why athletics may I ask? Is it to boost my metabolism so I won't become obese from sitting on my ass?
    A proper education includes both the body and the mind. Far too many people neglect one or the other these days.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • A proper education includes both the body and the mind. Far too many people neglect one or the other these days.
    Alright, what other classes would you recommend? I heard economics is helpful in Computer Science, but I'm not really sure how.
  • heard economics is helpful in Computer Science, but I'm not really sure how.
    Learn financial principles and get a job coding for the financial industry. You'll make more money than you'll know what to do with.
  • Learn financial principles and get a job coding for the financial industry. You'll make more money than you'll know what to do with.
    I'm liking what I've read of Economics, would it be worth minoring in or should I just go with Math?
  • If you are looking to go into business, learning a second language isn't a bad idea either.
  • I think learning a second language is something all Americans should do.
  • I feel like this is a good place for me to post my college ideas. Mind you, I'm a freshman who is in a program where he is not expected to declare until mid-sophomore year.
    I want to go into some form of public relations work or advertising. Communications is the obvious program for that, but it's also a popular major, so I'm thinking about double majoring with Computer Science, especially since the tech industry needs more competent marketing people.

It's also probably worth noting that I'm at New York University, a very non-tech school. Still, should I follow through with this combination?
  • edited September 2008
    Ooh, NYU, nice. What do you think of majors such as Psychology and Marketing (if they have it)? Comm seems kind of general, in my opinion.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I want to go into some form of public relations work or advertising.
    Whenever I read "Public Relations" all I can ever think about is the history of the term, which makes me smile:
    In describing the origin of the term Public Relations, Bernays commented, "When I came back to the United States [from the war], I decided that if you could use propaganda for war, you could certainly use it for peace. And propaganda got to be a bad word because of the Germans ... using it. So what I did was to try to find some other words, so we found the words Counsel on Public Relations".
  • I have another question, what is more important for CS, Linear Algebra or Calculus?
  • edited September 2008
    I have another question, what is more important for CS, Linear Algebra or Calculus?
    Algebra and discrete math is the most important for all computer programming. Calculus is only really important if you want to make a program that is calculus-related, such as a physics engine.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • heard economics is helpful in Computer Science, but I'm not really sure how.
    Learn financial principles and get a job coding for the financial industry. You'll make more money than you'll know what to do with.
    Very true. I'm currently starting to specialize in SAP and it's a well known fact that the FICO guys get paid the big bucks, and that's coming from people how make $100-$150 an hour so the FICO guys must really rake it in.
  • I have another question, what is more important for CS, Linear Algebra or Calculus?
    Algebra and discrete math is the most important for all computer programming. Calculus is only really important if you want to make a program that is calculus-related, such as a physics engine.
    This is actually really important to get a grasp on. If you don't like math, don't go into CS. Programming takes a lot of the same types of thinking that math uses. I couldn't cut it, that's why I'm changing to broadcast journalism.
  • edited September 2008
    This is actually really important to get a grasp on. If you don't like math, don't go into CS. Programming takes a lot of the same types of thinking that math uses. I couldn't cut it, that's why I'm changing to broadcast journalism.
    I like math, the act of doing it is kind of boring though. At least in CS, once you develop an algorithm that works, you get the feeling of satisfaction by some sort of output. Also, Scott, did RIT allow calculators for tests/exams? Two of my university math classes have banned them on tests/exams.
  • I like math, the act of doing it is kind of boring though. At least in CS, once you develop an algorithm that works, you get the feeling of satisfaction by some sort of output.
    In the more advanced maths, you'll only ever solve a given class of problem once. ^_^
    That's quite the 180 there. Why not go for something like Information Science?
  • edited September 2008
    In the more advanced maths, you'll only ever solve a given class of problem once. ^_^
    You or Scott would probably know what Maths would help for CS. Would going as far as partial derivatives and eigenvalues and eigenvectors and vector calculus be necessary? I mean, I guess I could learn whatever extra math I wanna know later on.
  • edited September 2008
    I have another question, what is more important for CS, Linear Algebra or Calculus?
    That's quite the 180 there. Why not go for something like Information Science?
    Well, look at what I do right now: I have my own podcast, I do the production work for Geektalk, I'm hosting four events at the upcoming Anime Con in my area, I make music and produce video. I like enjoy working with multimeda. And while I deeply enjoy the technical aspects of working with computers, My brain isn't well suited for the math involved in the field. I have considered I.S., but frankly, doing multimedia work is something which makes me happy and other people as well. And in the wise words of Kermit the Frog, I like making people happy. Working on computers is something I really enjoy, which why I'd like to keep it as a hobby. To keep it as something I can do to unwind.

Hopefully I can someday meld the two. My personal goal is to be the next Leo Laporte. He has a radio show which he uses to help people solve their computer woes, and he has a podcast network which revolves around technology (to the exception of munchcast and one other). He gets to play with gadgets all the time, speak on cruises and conferences, and he has fun doing it! That's what I'd like my life to be like.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Fair enough, as long as you're happy not much else matters.
  • edited September 2008
    Would going as far as partial derivatives and eigenvalues and eigenvectors and vector calculus be necessary?
    Yes. Graph Theory and Combinatorics are also important.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited September 2008
    Yes. Graph Theory and Combinatorics are also important.
    I've got classes both and a class with some cryptography. I'm most likely going to learn some math after I graduate too. My prof is an applied Mathematician who lives in Matlab, so I'll ask him what else I should take.
  • If your looking for just something on the side but still related, I'd suggest looking into circuit courses (if you don't have to take any in the first place) particularly a embedded control course.
  • Why is CS classes being dropped like hot potatoes in High Schools?
  • Why are CS classes being dropped like hot potatoes in High Schools?
    They were almost always behind the times and effectively useless.