This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good books

edited July 2006 in Everything Else
Right now I'm reading Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy, and finding it very enjoyable. Anyone else have some good books they're reading right now?

Comments

• edited July 2006
    I'm reading Galactic Patrol the first book in the Lensman series by e.e. "Doc" Smith. In the future expect an episode on Lensman: the books and the anime.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I just finished The Difference Engine, and now I'm working on Anansi Boys.
  • I'm reading "What it Means to be Libertarian" by Charles Murray.
    Kidding... I'm reading "The Stolen Child" bu Keith Donahue.
    It's not my normal cup of tea, but it got amazing reviews everywhere I turned. This guy is supposed to have a very promising future. I'm only about 50 pages into it, but it is proving to be an entertaining read.
    It follows the life of a "changling" that takes the place of a boy - as well as following the life of the boy that is made to become a "changling."
  • White Noise by Don DeLillo
  • edited July 2006
    For some reason I'm re-reading good omens.

Note: I was chemical bass but change my name.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Anyone ever read Ringworld by Larry Niven? I remember being addicted to this when I read it years ago.
  • I read Ringworld recently. I also read the one where they went back to the Ringworld. I really quite liked it. My gaming group has been giving me Niven books to read for a while now. Speaking of which, I have two or three sitting there...

I'm currently reading the 'Blood: The Last Vampire' novel by Mamoru Oshii. I am enjoying it, but at times it feels like I'm re-reading 'Mein Kampf'. It just has these massive rants, mostly about politics. So far Saya has been in it for about three pages, and I'm halfway through, which is disappointing, because Saya is teh awesomes. Where I'm reading, they have been talking about how to dispose of a corpse for a while. Its really quite an interesting read, but... its just so... unengaging (Not a word).
  • Right now I'm reading "A Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin. It's in the medieval/fantasy genre, though seems to focus more on the characters and crazy royal intrigue than magic or dragons or any of that stuff, at least so far - which I find refreshing. Alot of the material is rather sexually charged though, almost explicit - ridiculously so at times (*coughDaenarys'chapterscough.*) Then again, I suppose that's to be expected in a fantasy novel that is meant for adults. It has many characters, but some are real gems, and I'm excited to see where they'll take the story, since this is the first book in a series.
  • I just finished the Foundation Trilogy, it was really, really good. Appartently the others in the series aren't. I'm reading Independant Nation: The rise of Centrism in America which is really interesting, and The Nazis: A warning from history Which isn't as good as this guys other book Auschwitz: A new history which is really, really, really good. And I'm also reading Prey by Michael Crichton which is kind of shit but I got if for free and its well writen.
  • You could try the dark magician trillogy by Trudi Cannvan - That's very good
  • The Culture novels by Iain M Banks are pretty good. The Player of Games is the best one to start with.
  • GeekNights book club? One day we'll beat Oprah.
  • I've got an internship this summer that comes with an insane 2 hour commute each way so I don't have a whole lot of time for reading. I am, however, listening to Singularity from podiobooks.com and it's pretty good.
  • Woot! Thanks to my job at the library, I'm able to join this discussion in full force.

I just finished up "Thank You for Smoking". I saw the movie and didn't even realise it was an adaptation of a book. The movie was great, and the book, as these tend to be, is even better. Some of the satire flows better when being told (Timing is everything, and movies can have an advantage in how fast jokes are delivered.), but for the most part, the book is hilarious and biting.

I'm also in the middle of both "The Watchmen", one of the premier underwear pervert stories, and Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. The watchmen is well done and well illustrated, though I've no clue where the plot is going yet. Breakfast of Champions is pretty standard satire, and a bit tired, but only because of how oft imitated it is.
  • edited July 2006
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    GeekNights book club? One day we'll beat Oprah
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Geeknights book club! We could all decided on a new book every couple months then have recorded skype conversations on the books and submit the best bits into a book club special at the end of every month!
    ^_^
    Post edited by Farragar on
  • New Thursday Topic!
  • I just finished "The Ancestor's Tale" by Richard Dawkins. Yay evolution.

For anyone who is a fan of fantasy/sci-fi, I cannot recommend the works of China Mieville highly enough. "Perdido Street Station" and "The Scar" are the best, but all of his stuff is good.
  • edited July 2006
    I highly recommend Singularity Sky by Charles Stross. Inexplicable. There isn't much more I can say about it, other than you won't know until you read it--a response I often give to those who inquire about Stephenson's Snow Crash or Diamond Age.

Oh, and I am also in the middle of Perdido Street Station; thus far I can vouch for its badassness.

Edit: Removed indiscriminate space.
    Post edited by HeavyCruiserLost on
  • Only thing I'm reading right now is Shadowrun, 4th edition. I finished The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand a while back, and it's a pretty good read. Not sure if I necessarily agree with everything in it, but it's still not bad.
  • The Burning Empires PDF currently has my attention, and I've ordered the Iron Empires graphic novels to get a better feel for the settting. Looking good so far.
  • I wanted some light reading so I'm reading "Planet X," a "Star Trek:TNG" novel featuring The X-Men. It was too goofy to pass up.

Prior to that, I re-read "War of the Worlds" by HG. Wells and "The Panic Broadcast" by Howard Koch about the famous 1939 Orson Welles' radio broadcast of the story.
  • edited July 2006
    The latest podcast (the sci-fi one) got me thinking about some more books/authors I might recommend to the forums.

First off, if you liked Rym's description of The Difference Engine, you might also enjoy "The Baroque Cycle" (Quicksilver, The Confusion, The System of the World) by Neil Stephenson. It's a trilogy of books with vaguely cyberpunk and very modern themes, but set in the late 17th and early 18th century: the era often called the Enlightenment, when science was really starting to gain momentum in Europe. (William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, and Neil Stephenson are the holy trilogy of cyberpunk, and anything written by any of them is worth trying).

Secondly, Dan Simmons. He's written in other genres as well, but it's his science fiction works that I've read to date: a loose series called "The Hyperion Cantos"(Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, The Rise of Endymion) and a duology with no series title I know: Illium and Olympos. Far future, crazy technology, more than a bit of transhumanism, and a lot of literary or mythological references (The Hyperion Cantos draw heavily on the unfinished epic poem "Hyperion", by John Keats, while Illium and Olympos involve the recreation of the Illiad by nanotech- and quantum-enhanced Greek gods.)

The Hyperion universe has the best logical extension of Internet culture I've ever seen: in addition to a vast information network, the central civilized worlds are connected by a vast network of teleportation devices, such that anyone can visit any of them pretty much at will. So if something interesting happens on one planet, they are quickly overwhelmed by billions of tourists from other parts of the Worldweb. It's the Slashdot effect, writ large and with physical travel.

Finally, I'm currently reading the Age of Unreason series by Greg Keyes (first book is Newton's Cannon), which is sort of alternate history/fantasy set in much that same period as The Baroque Cycle. Isaac Newton discovers working alchemy, which launches a "scientific" revolution that feels an awful lot like sorcery. No vast sociopolitical agenda here, but it's a fun read.
    Post edited by Alex on

• Secondly, Dan Simmons. He's written in other genres as well, but it's his science fiction works that I've read to date: a loose series called "The Hyperion Cantos"(Hyperion,The Fall of Hyperion,Endymion,The Rise of Endymion) and a duology with no series title I know:IlliumandOlympos. Far future, crazy technology, more than a bit of transhumanism, and a lot of literary or mythological references (The Hyperion Cantos draw heavily on the unfinished epic poem "Hyperion", by John Keats, while Illium and Olympos involve the recreation of theIlliadby nanotech- and quantum-enhanced Greek gods.)

The Hyperion universe has the best logical extension of Internet culture I've ever seen: in addition to a vast information network, the central civilized worlds are connected by a vast network of teleportation devices, such that anyone can visit any of them pretty much at will. So if something interesting happens on one planet, they are quickly overwhelmed by billions of tourists from other parts of the Worldweb. It's the Slashdot effect, writ large and with physical travel.
    One of my co-workers was reading these awhile ago. I saw it on her desk, but it looked like a generic fantasy novel to me. If publishers made covers that more accurately represented the contents of the books, I wouldn't keep getting bitten by false pre-judgements. Anyway, after I read this giant pile of literature next to my bed I will check out the *ion series for sure.

Pop trivia question! Rym can't answer and Using Google, Wikipedia, etc. is cheating.

What anime character is also known as "The Hawk of Endymion?"
  • Quick note about the sci-fi podcast:

It's pronounced "boss cone;" the "e" simply exists to make the "o" long.
  • I am reading the most fantastically trashy book, First Wicket Down by John Parker, that I got for 50c and an ex-library sale. Its so awful I love it. During a cricket match the Australian captain is hit by a bouncer and dies, but it turns out that he was shot and was already dead when the ball hits him. The police have to come and investigate but the officials refuse to stop the game, then the shooter gets killed ands its all messed up with racism and jealousy and betting and apartheid. Its so incredibly trashy and outrageously implausible.
  • It's not really that implausible if the victim is Warney, and the shooter is his ex-wife, it all becomes believable, particularly the betting and the racism. The only implausible part would be Shane Warne as team captain.
  • edited July 2006
    One of my co-workers was reading these awhile ago. I saw it on her desk, but it looked like a generic fantasy novel to me. If publishers made covers that more accurately represented the contents of the books, I wouldn't keep getting bitten by false pre-judgements. Anyway, after I read this giant pile of literature next to my bed I will check out the *ion series for sure.

Pop trivia question! Rym can't answer and Using Google, Wikipedia, etc. is cheating.

What anime character is also known as "The Hawk of Endymion?"
    What is it they say..? "Don't Judge a book by its cover"? Nah, that can't be it. Never mind its probably not relevant here.

I got the hawk of Endymion question, but I have never seen any of that series, so I had to cheat.

EDIT; Would it be possible to automatically set the input mode to HTML when you use the quote links?
    Post edited by deaf-mute on
  • edited July 2006
    Set your default input mode here.

EDIT: Crap, I can't find that settings page, but it's there somewhere.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I highly recommend the Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. As with Lensman, I'd suggest reading them in order of publication rather than chronologically.