This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good books

15678911»

Comments

• I'm reading Catch-22 right now, and it might be the best wordplay outside of Shakespeare, with a fantastic story to boot.
  • I re-read it just recently, but I guess I wasn't in the mood because it wasn't as funny as it was the first time.
  • Solaris by Stanislaw Lem (Eden is great, too).
    Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon.

Check these out, seriously. These are both extremely WELL WRITTEN pieces of science fiction and are both books you should read before you die.
  • I'm currently reading the Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. It's a pretty interesting light fantasy re-imagining of Alice in Wonderland, but it's incredibly predictable.
  • I've never been much into mystery novels, and I'd never read a Sherlock Holmes story before. But I readA Study In Scarletfor my English class and it was really good. There's definitely a reason why these novels are so famous.
    I remember reading every Sherlock Holmes story in a row all throughout high school. It usually took me about a week and a half. Trust me when I say this: while it is still good, A Study in Scarlet is the worst of the Holmes novels. I'd bet you'll fall in love with Hound of the Baskervilles.
  • i just finished reading Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfoss. it came out about two years ago and it blow my socks off when i read it. if you want to read something with a badass magic system then give this book a read. its also told in the first person which is kind of rare in the fantasy gene.
  • I love The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. It is his best work.
  • I love The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. It is his best work.
    Better than Farnham's Freehold? No way!
  • I finished reading The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin a month or two ago. It is a very compelling novel and is particularly thought provoking if you read it while thinking about political organizing and social change. I also intend to read The Wind's Twelve Quarters, a collection of short stories by Le Guin. Both "The Ones Who Walked from Omelas" and "A Day before the Revolution" won awards and give very interesting critiques of modern society. I guess I take interest in her work because she's an Oregonian just as I am and has a refreshing set of morals.
  • edited November 2012
    I need help remembering the name of a book I read in community college. I could have sworn it was Jane Eyre, but after reading the Wiki synopsis on it I don't think it was. I feel like it may have been another woman's name. Like virtually all novels about women from this period, there's lots of romantic drama and class criticism. Also farming. I think there was a scene with a thrasher, also a scene where characters run through mud. There might have been a doomed marriage in there somewhere too. Sorry I can't think of anything more specific.

Help, this is driving me crazy.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Wuthering Heights? Haven't read it but that has running through mud/the moors and a farm.
  • edited November 2012
    Don't think it was Wuthering Heights. Definitely in that same literary sphere, though.

It's also very possible that I may be confusing two different books as one.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2012
    I'm reading Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk. It's made up entirely of chronological interviews with punk icons and influences, including Iggy Pop, Danny Fields, the Ramones, and everyone else. Very, very entertaining.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Don't think it was Wuthering Heights. Definitely in that same literary sphere, though.
    It's Tess of the D'urbervilles. Can't believe how hard it was for me to figure that out.