This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cell Phone upgrade suggestions?

Comments

• Well, I'm either getting the Nexus S on Sprint (and a 2 year contract extension) or waiting for the new iPhone. I'm so ambivalent it hurts.
  • Got the Nexus S. I'm now a Droid person.

Still have the Pre. Might do something with it.
  • Welcome to the flock.
  • Still have the Pre. Might do something with it.
    Well, if you include the efforts of the Palm Corporation...You'd still be the first to do so.
  • Still have the Pre. Might do something with it.
    Hurl it in to a river? Skip it across a picturesque lake? Hammer?
  • edited May 2011
    I have finally joined the smartphone era with a Droid Incredible 2. It's not perfect, but I like it a lot so far. I especially love that you can stick music and video files anywhere and just navigate to them. I was terrified I was going to be forced to use Verizon's terrible software. I'd consider the Thunderbolt, but I hear it eats battery like nobody's business, especially if there's a case on it for some odd reason. I do have a question though. Is there a "plays any video you throw at it" type app out there for Android? I've seen a few things, even one called mPlayer, but it doesn't handle everything. I'd really like to be able to toss video on it without Handbraking if I could.
    EDIT: While I'm at it, what is the best podcatcher?
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • EDIT: While I'm at it, what is the best podcatcher?
    I use the Google Listen app.
    Thanks for the tip. I remember hearing good things about this now but it completely slipped my mind.
  • edited May 2011
    I saw an article somewhere that you could compile a build of VLC for android.

Edit: This
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • The Nexus S is pretty solid so far. It also directly and fully integrates with Google Voice via Sprint.

The only drawback is that you can't use this and keep both numbers. You have the choice of dropping your Sprint number or your Google Voice number. I thus subsumed the Voice number (which only a few people had anyway) into my main line.

Any call to me hits Google Voice, and all of my voicemail is directly through Google Voice (integrated into the phone's Voicemail system or through the web/app/etc...). Sprint is basically just my data carrier now, and Google is my voice provider.
  • Any call to me hits Google Voice, and all of my voicemail is directly through Google Voice (integrated into the phone's Voicemail system or through the web/app/etc...). Sprint is basically just my data carrier now, and Google is my voice provider.
    I'm gonna ping you about this at connecticon after you've used it a bit. I'm strongly considering dropping Verizon all together to get this level of integration.
    Anyone try the Google Music app? It appears to be in closed beta but it appears to be interesting enough for me to try to get in.
  • My question is how is this going to be significantly different from Amazon's offering?
  • Got my Optimus S. Is it natural to feel like I'm in the future?
  • Got my Optimus S. Is it natural to feel like I'm in the future?
    The feeling never really goes away.
    Anyone try the Google Music app? It appears to be in closed beta but it appears to be interesting enough for me to try to get in.
    I asked for an invitation, I don't think I've gotten a reply back yet though. Amazon's service works fairly well from my few tries, though.
  • edited May 2011
    Got my Optimus S. Is it natural to feel like I'm in the future?
    The feeling never really goes away.
    I feel like I took a huge technological jump from my Zune HD and iPod Touch. The Zune HD is still useful in my mind as a media oriented device, especially when it comes to podcasts and quick playlisting, and I only have a Zune compatible FM transmitter so it is my primary music device in the car. The iPod Touch, however, which I primarily use for things like Slacker, Pandora, Shoutcast, and Beluga. I now have an effectively always on system(yay for Verizon's 3G coverage) that will let me access those things and more, plus do so much more, and I no longer have to deal with awful iTunes software if I do want to carry some music or video files on there. As a sales person, I want to tell people to stop buying iPod Touches because the thing is so limited compared to a proper smartphone in what in can do, and even a 16 gig iPhone costs less on a contract than the 8 gig iPod Touch.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Google Music came pre-installed on my Nexus S, but I haven't used it yet.

Interestingly, tethering just works, as does Wifi hotspot. I have took look at my contract to see if I paid of that and/or if it's actually technically included.

Google Listen is almost exactly what I've wanted for the last half-decade in a podcatcher.
  • Google Listen is almost exactly what I've wanted for the last half-decade in a podcatcher.
    Could you tell the rest of us too what is it that you have wanted. I have been thinking about getting an podcather for my phone, but I don't think I will be giving up my iPod - iTunes combo, without good reasons.
  • Could you tell the rest of us too what is it that you have wanted.
    Over the air sync/subscription (no PC involved at all), auto-deletion of old episodes, intelligent defaults for most options.
    Over the air sync/subscription (no PC involved at all), auto-deletion of old episodes, intelligent defaults for most options.
    Is it worth using if I listen podcasts more often while on computer rather than on the go? Doesn't seem so to me, but I could be wrong.
    Is it worth using if I listen podcasts more often while on computer rather than on the go? Doesn't seem so to me, but I could be wrong.
    No. It doesn't do the iTunes "listen to part on my device, sync, listen to part on my computer" thing, and the player on the PC is just Google Reader's Flash audio player.
  • It doesn't do the iTunes "listen to part on my device, sync, listen to part on my computer" thing
    Ahh, but I only cared about that back in the old days of using my PC as a "home base." I no longer need any ties between my PCs and my mobile devices for things like podcasts. I wouldn't ever listen to a podcast on a PC.

Obviously, if you want such a feature, then you want iTunes. But for me, complete computer-independence is my primary concern.
  • I sometimes wish my iPhone would let me synch via wifi, but then I plug it into my laptop to charge it most times I use my laptop, so it's not really a big issue.
  • It doesn't do the iTunes "listen to part on my device, sync, listen to part on my computer" thing
    Ahh, but I only cared about that back in the old days of using my PC as a "home base." I no longer need any ties between my PCs and my mobile devices for things like podcasts. I wouldn't ever listen to a podcast on a PC.

Obviously, if you want such a feature, then you want iTunes. But for me, complete computer-independence is my primary concern.
    That's pretty much my view in a nutshell. Even if I'm at home, I listen to podcasts on my phone.

You also forgot what's, for me, one of the cooler features: streaming podcasts over cell network/wifi.
  • RymRym
    edited May 2011
    Phone entertainment in general is for me no more than a failsafe against the few times I'm unexpectedly Starbucksed. (i.e., have a real place to be, but unexpectedly need to kill an amount of time too long to just stand on a streetcorner doing nothing but too short to actually do anything worthwhile, and thus, end up sitting around in a Starbucks poking at my phone).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited May 2011
    Well if it's any consolation, I couldn't get it to work at all when I tried about a year ago. Now it works great.
    Phone entertainment in general is for me no more than a failsafe against the few times I'm unexpectedly Starbucksed. (i.e., have a real place to be, but unexpectedly need to kill an amount of time too long to just stand on a streetcorner doing nothing but too short to actually do anything worthwhile, and thus, end up sitting around in a Starbucks poking at my phone).
    You sir, need angry birds.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Google Music came pre-installed on my Nexus S, but I haven't used it yet.

Interestingly, tethering just works, as does Wifi hotspot. I have took look at my contract to see if I paid of that and/or if it's actually technically included.

Google Listen is almost exactly what I've wanted for the last half-decade in a podcatcher.
    Be carefull providers are charging an additional charge if you tether wirelessly, however you can bypass this if you root the phone and install the wireless tethering for root users app in the market its free.
  • however you can bypass this if you root the phone and install the wireless tethering for root users app in the market its free.
    ^_^
  • You sir, need angry birds.
    Nobody needs Angry Birds. It isn't even a good game!