This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cell Phone upgrade suggestions?

124»

Comments

• You sir, need angry birds.
    Nobody needs Angry Birds. It isn't even a good game!
    I tried the free version on the Chrome Web Store, and I'm inclined to agree.
  • You sir, need angry birds.
    Nobody needs Angry Birds. It isn't even a good game!
    I tried the free version on the Chrome Web Store, and I'm inclined to agree.
    Wait, there's Angry Birds for the PC?
  • I simply don't understand how Angry Birds became this cross platform juggernaut to the point there is a version you can play on your PS3. It's fun enough, I suppose, but it inspires passion and merchandising to an unexpected degree.
  • The Nexus S is pretty solid so far. It also directly and fully integrates with Google Voice via Sprint.

The only drawback is that you can't use this and keep both numbers. You have the choice of dropping your Sprint number or your Google Voice number. I thus subsumed the Voice number (which only a few people had anyway) into my main line.

Any call to me hits Google Voice, and all of my voicemail is directly through Google Voice (integrated into the phone's Voicemail system or through the web/app/etc...). Sprint is basically just my data carrier now, and Google is my voice provider.
    What do you mean you can't keep both numbers? It seems odd that the only phone made by google is actually more limited in function vis a vis google voice than any of the ones I've used. You couldn't keep your sprint number and voicemail, and then have the google voice number ring to that line when people dial it? What happens now when people dial the number you dropped?

That's disheartening, since the nexus is probably the only droid phone I would consider getting, and I like the way google voice worked on my blackberry and iphone. I use it as a business cell line, and have it set up to get names and screen callers before it even stops ringing on their end.
  • You can, but you can't have Google Voice replace your Sprint voicemail and still have a seperate number, is what he means.
  • You can, but you can't have Google Voice replace your Sprint voicemail and still have a seperate number, is what he means.
    That's weird, because I can do that on the iphone. In fact I did it by accident at first, while trying to set up the call forwarding. I guess I don't get it.
  • That's disheartening, since the nexus is probably the only droid phone I would consider getting, and I like the way google voice worked on my blackberry and iphone. I use it as a business cell line, and have it set up to get names and screen callers before it even stops ringing on their end.
    I do that too. But the integration is designed to replace the Sprint stuff with the Google stuff entirely. I have the Google call screening on my original (non-Google) number now. If you don't want to do that, don't use the integration and just install the Google Voice App instead.
    It seems odd that the only phone made by google is actually more limited in function vis a vis google voice than any of the ones I've used.
    All that "functionality" is just the app and Google having control of their number. If you use the integration, you have one phone number that can call out via data (e.g., wifi or 4G data) OR as a phone call with minutes. You have one number tightly integrated with everything and don't need to set up forwarding or anything.
    What happens now when people dial the number you dropped?
    It receives call, which are forwarded to my main line, for 90 days. I only gave that number to a few people, so I just ditched it.
  • Oh so the appeal of the full integration is using voIP?
  • Oh so the appeal of the full integration is using voIP?
    Basically, my original phone number is now a Google Voice number, and my phone is just one device that gets it. Google is my voice provider for all intents and purposes, and I can use either Sprint voice, Spring Data, or wifi to make calls, all from this same number. My Sprint voicemail and texting is replaced with Google. When I make any call, I can choose how to have it go out (voice or data).
  • Basically, my original phone number is now a Google Voice number, and my phone is just one device that gets it. Google is my voice provider for all intents and purposes, and I can use either Sprint voice, Spring Data, or wifi to make calls, all from this same number. My Sprint voicemail and texting is replaced with Google. When I make any call, I can choose how to have it go out (voice or data).
    I'm reasonably sure you can't make voice calls via a data connection on your phone with google voice. That all uses Sprint's voice service.
  • edited May 2011
    Basically, my original phone number is now a Google Voice number, and my phone is just one device that gets it. Google is my voice provider for all intents and purposes, and I can use either Sprint voice, Spring Data, or wifi to make calls, all from this same number. My Sprint voicemail and texting is replaced with Google. When I make any call, I can choose how to have it go out (voice or data).
    Oh I see, when you say you "integrated" it you mean that you actually ported your old cell number over to google voice, so it's features would be available on that number. Sorry, confusion of terminology. I see now why you dropped a number and why you bothered. When you said it was "integrated" at first I was thinking "so what, the app 'integrates' just fine."
    Post edited by Special A on
  • edited May 2011
    I'm reasonably sure you can't make voice calls via a data connection on your phone with google voice. That all uses Sprint's voice service.
    They were rolling out some voip support in march, and if any phone would be able to do it, it would be a Nexus S with a google voice number.
    Post edited by Special A on
  • They were rolling out some voip support in march, and if any phone would be able to do it, it would be a Nexus S with a google voice number.
    I see, I was not aware of this.
  • Hahahaha, I am using my phone as a wireless hotspot using the wireless for root user app on my droid and have over 10 people trying to access it this moment, thankfully I denied all their requests and blocked them from getting my connection.
  • Do I want an iPhone 4 or the best Android phone AT&T has for my next upgrade? I just hit the upgrade date and I have an iPhone 3G right now, so I'm eager to move up to the next model. I'm leaning toward an Android because I can use Google Music natively with it.
  • Do I want an iPhone 4 or the best Android phone AT&T; has for my next upgrade? I just hit the upgrade date and I have an iPhone 3G right now, so I'm eager to move up to the next model. I'm leaning toward an Android because I can use Google Music natively with it.
    I can't say from an iPhone perspective because I actually like to use my hardware and phone the way I personally like to and don't enjoy having to plug it into the computer every day.
    I suggest Android but I am also a PC user and can't stand the Apple UI.

Working within the weird limitations of the US telecommunications companies I would suggest the HTC Inspire 4G.
  • Do I want an iPhone 4 or the best Android phone AT&T; has for my next upgrade? I just hit the upgrade date and I have an iPhone 3G right now, so I'm eager to move up to the next model. I'm leaning toward an Android because I can use Google Music natively with it.
    If you are thinking AT&T; on a contract, sign up with T-Mobile instead. When AT&T; eats up T-Mobile for realz, they must honor your T-Mobile contract. I'd recommend all AT&T; users without contract jump onto T-Mobile and sign up for a nice unlimited data plan prior to the change over. It might even be cheaper to break your AT&T; contract. *rages on agrily for hours*
    What phone would you get if Android? I'm using a Google G2 (HTC Desire Z outside US), and it is pretty fantastic. It supports wifi hotspot and USB tethering without rooting it. Tethering is handy if one is paranoid about most public hotspots or if internet at the apartment crashes and you got 4G rolling on your phone.
  • I'm on an AT&T corporate contract for the foreseeable future. I'll probably get an HTC Inspire and root it.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm deciding between an Iphone, HTC Thunderbolt, or Droid 3. The droids are cheaper because I can get them pre-owned, so I'll probably get one. The Thunderbolt has "4G" capability, while the Droid 3 has a newer version of Android and a bigger specs-penis.

What should I choose?

EDIT: Also, I'm on a Verizon plan and living primarily in NYC.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Wait until tomorrow and see if Samsung announces a Galaxy S II for Verizon.
  • Yeah, but that's the day before I leave for college. If I don't get one before the 2nd, I won't be able to get a smartphone till November.
  • Yeah, but worst-case you can still get it shipped to your dorm room.
  • Amazon has deal for $0.01 smart phones.
    For a limited time only, all phones from Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T with a new line of service are on sale for a penny and include standard FREE Two-Day Shipping. Offer valid between midnight PDT November 21, 2011, through 11:59 p.m. PDT November 28, 2011, while supplies last. Plus, if you buy an eligible hotspot-ready smartphone and activate the hotspot feature, you'll get a $100 Amazon.com Gift Card.
  • edited November 2011
    $20 smart phone plan relies on customers using Wi-Fi as much as possible. If this thing takes off, I may bite when my Verizon contract expire (in about a year).
    Post edited by Apreche on