This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• edited February 2014

Show idea:

Anger Management

I can't even remember being angry... What is there to be angry about? If you have anger issues, seek professional help. Show over.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Show idea:

Anger Management

Don't get angry.

• Rym said:

Show idea:

Anger Management

Don't get angry.

You'd be surprised how often that works.
  • edited March 2014
    Anime Series/Movies:
    Pokemon the origins
    Model Suit Gunpla Builder
    Gundam Build Fighters (when it finishes soon)
    Space Battleship Yamato 2199
    Space Pirate Captain Harlock

Anime Topics:
    Anime studios not waiting for a manga to finish before starting the anime.
    Live action remakes/re-tellings of animes.

Manga/Comics:
    Pokemon Adventures
    Sonic/Megaman Crossover

Gaming: Bravely Default
    Other: LEGO Cuusoo
    Tech: Best tablets for comics/manga
    Post edited by GoldenVixy on
  • Show idea:

Games on touch devices
  • Building a boardgame collection.

Assume I don't own any boardgames and am setting out to build a collection of say 30 titles. What would you suggest as a good collection that covers a few different play times, weights and genres. Personally, I don't really go in for anything super long, my limit is about about 2 hours (So I didn't really get into Twilight Imperium or Die Macher).

Cheers,
    Avi
  • Avi said:

Building a boardgame collection.

Assume I don't own any boardgames and am setting out to build a collection of say 30 titles. What would you suggest as a good collection that covers a few different play times, weights and genres. Personally, I don't really go in for anything super long, my limit is about about 2 hours (So I didn't really get into Twilight Imperium or Die Macher).

Cheers,
    Avi

Save money. Just play Android: Netrunner and nothing else.
  • Avi said:

Building a boardgame collection.

Cheers,
    Avi

Have different games for different types of players from the casual gamer to the hardcore play-to-win-I-will-fuck-you-over-but-we're-still-friends games.

Overall, it's hard to just have 30 because there are more and more new games coming out. It also depends on what do you prefer in board games. Mechanics? Design? Looks good? Lots of chits? Not a lot of chits? Cards?

This thread has a lot of good suggestions and discussions.

As for my suggestions, pretty much any game that ScRym has podcasted about, except Eclipse due to long length of play. You can view their archive with #boardgames and #tabletop.

Feel free to go to the board game thread to ask. Also any game that won Game of the Year/Spiel des Jahres is good stuff.

Netrunner is a solid LCG, but unless you have access to various gamers that play it and tournaments, or if your name is Scott Rubin, then it wouldn't be worth it.
  • Love Letter, Hanabi, and Cards Against Humanity are good party games that are quick to learn and get casual people excited.

Boss Monster and Hive are good for people that want a light game with more decision making.

Kemet is Risk done well for dudes-on-a-map style play. Eclipse also a great economy/war staple.

Rococo, Trajan, Tzolkin, and Terra Mystica are great economy and time management passive aggression simulators. Trajan has Rome, Tzokin has corn, Terra Mystica has witches dive bombing forests with tiny houses, and Rococo's got fancy dress parties. All of them are fantastic.
  • As much as it seems trivial, I think you guys could do a nice segment on Flappy Bird and how amazingly designed it is for the mobile platform.
  • I'd like to hear a show about comics as a sort of modern mythology or maybe something involving super heroes and American political economy.
  • Due to the recent mention on the Super Art Fight podcast calling you out as "Good anime con panels", I think it is time to have a show with the Super Art Fight guys talking about how to win the game.
  • Coldguy said:

Due to the recent mention on the Super Art Fight podcast calling you out as "Good anime con panels", I think it is time to have a show with the Super Art Fight guys talking about how to win the game.

They mentioned us? Which episode?
  • Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

Due to the recent mention on the Super Art Fight podcast calling you out as "Good anime con panels", I think it is time to have a show with the Super Art Fight guys talking about how to win the game.

Episode 3 they mentioned about past shows and how they missed going to watch Anime Match Game and the like. I recall it is about a third of the way through the episode before the Vitamin water disaster.

• Coldguy said:

Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

Episode 3 they mentioned about past shows and how they missed going to watch Anime Match Game and the like. I recall it is about a third of the way through the episode before the Vitamin water disaster.

Apparently they also spend a bit of time talking about how Anime Boston won't book them.

• Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

Apparently they also spend a bit of time talking about how Anime Boston won't book them.

Yup that was later in the episode.
  • Devote a show to Machinations:

Machinations is a theoretical framework and an interactive, dynamic, graphical representation that describes games as dynamic systems and focuses on closed feedback loops within them. The intention is to find a way to express and investigate (recurrent) game structures methodologically. Machinations offers a new lens on the intuitive and delicate practice of game design and balancing.

http://www.jorisdormans.nl/machinations/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
  • How about a discussion on "Equivalence (or equality) between games"?

For example, last day I had a discussion with a friend of mine whether "Ticket to Ride" (TR) and "Lords of Waterdeep" (LW) are in essence the same game. Even though he would not give arguments on why he thinks they are not the same, I do think that they are equivalent:
    - The winner is the player with most points at the end.
    - The end is decided by a "timer" (in TR the timer is the remaining train pieces and LW the round counter)
    - Victory points are achieved by completing tasks (TR = routes, LW = quests)
    - Tasks are completed by gathering resources (TR = train cards of different colors, LW = cubes of different colors)
    - The mechanics to gather resources are the same in both cases: "Drafting" (TR = drafting cards, LW = drafting actions for the workers)

Of course the theme is different (D&D in one case and trains in the other) and maybe LW has an extra layer of complexity (i.e. intrigue cards), but the point being made here is that equivalence in mechanics means equivalence in heuristics (at least to some degree).

What do you think?

@Tryskele
  • Sex Criminals. Seriously, have you guys not found this comic yet or just not talked about it yet?
  • chaosof99 said:

Sex Criminals. Seriously, have you guys not found this comic yet or just not talked about it yet?

I am a Matt Fraction anti-fan, so...
  • Apreche said:

chaosof99 said:

Sex Criminals. Seriously, have you guys not found this comic yet or just not talked about it yet?

Any Reason behind that?
  • chaosof99 said:

Apreche said:

chaosof99 said:

Any Reason behind that?
    I've read a few of his books which were very much hyped up, and they were not good at all. He seems like a cool guy, though.
  • DoS attacks, and why they still work. (Can you tell this is topical?)
  • DoS attacks, and why they still work. (Can you tell this is topical?)

Ooooh, and go into detail about some of the more sophisticated (relatively speaking) newer ones such as DNS and/or NTP reflection attacks.
  • Not a bad idea.
  • I'm sure Rym would have quite a lot to say on NTP reflection attacks. :)
  • You guys hard up for Monday shows? You could NAND to Tetris, that might be two or three episodes.
  • Intrepid: a tabletop RPG
  • edited June 2014
    Did you ever do a show about how social currency works, and how to use it to your advantage? Or how to trick people into liking you? I use chocolate. It works WAY better then it should.

IE: That dude has a pony shirt. I have a pony shirt. I should talk to him about pony stuff and junk.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_currency
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Social currency is awesome. Once, I was wearing my Mystik Spiral shirt (that being Trent's band in Daria) and getting a coffee at Starbucks, and the cashier freaked out for my shirt, took a bunch of pictures of it, and paid for my coffee.