This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Girlfriend Believes In LARPing, What Should I do?

jccjcc
edited September 2008 in Everything Else
Ok so my girlfriend who I previously believed to be relatively well grounded just told me she's a LARPer. She says she doesn't do all of what the Wikipedia page says, but has performed ''boffing'' which involve ''rock paper scissors'', ''foam weapons" (which have to be the right colour) and a ''book of rules''.

She accepts that ''LARPers believe in magic that can be manipulated through the form of fuzzy tennis balls or yelling things. LARPers cast spells through the form of ritual practices'' and that she once cast a spell and it worked. When pressed she said ''well basically a friend had trouble with a random encounter so i just thought i could try and it worked''

She's very reluctant to discuss what she believes or what it involves at all. When I mentioned the James Randi Challenge she simply replied ''LARPing is great but if you don't believe in it you won't see it. It's that simple''

So what should I do? Should I just leave her to it even though I find it quite disturbing and ridiculous? Should I try and change her mind? Any suggestions how? In the long run will I be able to stay with someone who has such fundamentally different views?

Comments

• Kill her and hide the body.
  • Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Sleep! Death!
    edited September 2008
    I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Disown her and move far, far away.
  • Yep, can't add anything to that. Plenty of fish in the sea.
  • Destroy the costumes in front of her, then stab away.
  • Hey we all try larping at some point in our nerd life, hopefully it's just a phase and it will pass, because when I pass those larpers who could not break the habit on the street selling hand jobs for a bit of RP, I feel a little pity...
  • Ok so my girlfriend who I previously believed to be relatively well grounded just told me she's aLARPer. She says she doesn't do all of what the Wikipedia page says, but has performed ''boffing'' which involve ''rock paper scissors'', ''foam weapons" (which have to be the right colour) and a ''book of rules''.

She accepts that ''LARPers believe in magic that can be manipulated through the form of fuzzy tennis balls or yelling things. LARPers cast spells through the form of ritual practices'' and that she once cast a spell and it worked. When pressed she said ''well basically a friend had trouble with a random encounter so i just thought i could try and it worked''

She's very reluctant to discuss what she believes or what it involves at all. When I mentioned the James Randi Challenge she simply replied ''LARPing is great but if you don't believe in it you won't see it. It's that simple''

So what should I do? Should I just leave her to it even though I find it quite disturbing and ridiculous? Should I try and change her mind? Any suggestions how? In the long run will I be able to stay with someone who has such fundamentally different views?
    I recommend throwing soap at her. It's the anti-LARPer.

Or just stick with it. I've heard LARPers are freaky in the sack. You can deal with a few scars and bite marks.
  • Ok so my girlfriend who I previously believed to be relatively well grounded just told me she's aLARPer. She says she doesn't do all of what the Wikipedia page says, but has performed ''boffing'' which involve ''rock paper scissors'', ''foam weapons" (which have to be the right colour) and a ''book of rules''.

I recommend throwing soap at her. It's the anti-LARPer.

Or just stick with it. I've heard LARPers are freaky in the sack. You can deal with a few scars and bite marks.
    Damn you Pete! Now I've got mental images that won't go away for a while.
  • That's me: always here to help.
  • edited September 2008
    'LARPers believe in magic that can be manipulated through the form of fuzzy tennis balls
    Answer back with your own tennis balls of doom!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • That's me: always here to help.
    That's what frightens me.
  • Embarrassingly, I thought this thread was serious for like 10 seconds, before I saw the wiccan one...
  • Make her watch New Getter Robo.

She will either be cleanse thanks to the Getter Rays or she will LARP GETTER ROBO.
    Is a win-win situation if you think about it.
  • ......GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!! And if she chases you then you must construct a giant robot, and fight her to the death!! Godannar style! Or Gurren Lagann style is alright as long as you use your giant drill to launch her into the heavens!!!!!

Though I can't decide which one is more manly. Punching a sword or combing by slamming into one another with giant drills.... This I leave up to you Frontrowcrew forums!
  • LARP....in bed.
  • LARP....in bed.
    You're scary, you. What if she uses her foam weapons?
  • What if she uses her foam weapons?
    Some people like that. ^_~
  • LARP....in bed.
    You're scary, you. What if she uses her foam weapons?
    If she's kinky enough to that, she's kinky enough to do anything. ~_^
  • FRC Forums: Masters of Innuendo
    If you know what I mean.
    In which end-o?
  • Some of the most fun I've ever had was spent NPCing a Nero LARP. It, like most things, gets scary when you take it entirely too seriously. If she does it for fun and it doesn't intrude on other aspects of her and your lives why can't she be a LARPer?
  • Just a question: Has anyone here watched the documentary film "Darkon?" It's about a LARPing group and offers a great deal of insight into the world of LARPing... also, it features interviews with a lot of sad, sad people.
  • Just a question: Has anyone here watched the documentary film "Darkon?" It's about a LARPing group and offers a great deal of insight into the world of LARPing... also, it features interviews with a lot of sad, sad people.
    Yes, a lot of them are scary and sad, but some are cool.

My favorite thing was these people like to think that they know everything, but basic tactics other than "surround them" generally elude them. My two friend NPC's would square off with PCs. It was night so no one could see well. So I would come strafing in a full speed and hit them in the back. THe PCs would turn, but I'd be long gone, and my NPC friends would attack. The game masters told us to stop after a while cause we'd wounded too many of them. Fun times.
    In which end-o?
    The butt.

Oh, wait, we're using innuendo.

In the "butt." *wink wink*
  • For me, there was nothing double about that double entendre. The true meaning really sticks out.
  • This reminds me of a news story of some sort that I saw once about scary White Wolf LARP people who thought they were really vampires and murdered some people.
  • LARP....in bed.
    As a word of advice, Seduction rolls shouldn't start out with a Grapple Check.
  • As a word of advice, Seduction rolls shouldn't start out with a Grapple Check.
    Or a Charisma Check that starts with ether and "Does this smell funny to you?"