This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Girlfriend Believes In LARPing, What Should I do?

2»

Comments

• edited September 2008
    I met Mr. MacRoss at a LARP....
    EDIT: When did LARPing become a religion? I thought it was just role-playing while you move around and possibly wear silly costumes and use rock-paper-scissors instead of dice.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • EDIT: When did LARPing become a religion? I thought it was just role-playing while you move around and possibly wear silly costumes and use rock-paper-scissors instead of dice.
    That's what it is on paper. And that in and of itself, is all good. The problem is that the culture that has risen around LARPing, as opposed to tabletop roleplaying, is one of scariness. If you get some cool friends together and LARP, all good. If you seek out the local group of LARPers, you're going to find something that is not good.
  • EDIT: When did LARPing become a religion? I thought it was just role-playing while you move around and possibly wear silly costumes and use rock-paper-scissors instead of dice.
    That's what it is on paper. And that in and of itself, is all good. The problem is that the culture that has risen around LARPing, as opposed to tabletop roleplaying, is one of scariness. If you get some cool friends together and LARP, all good. If you seek out the local group of LARPers, you're going to find something that is not good.
    I kinda want to investigate this dark world of LARP. Then do a report from my first hand experience. Is anime con LARPs just as bad?
  • I met Mr. MacRoss at a LARP....
    EDIT: When did LARPing become a religion? I thought it was just role-playing while you move around and possibly wear silly costumes and use rock-paper-scissors instead of dice.
    There's a chance, a slim one mind you, but a chance that this was started as a parody of another thread.
  • edited September 2008
    QFT. I started out LARPing as my first roleplaying experience. I have since matured considerably, and my last attempt at playing a LARP game was not as fun as I expected it to be...
    Post edited by Jakd on
  • When I was a teenager, I though "larp" was a funny word that my friends made up that meant running around in the woods and hitting each other with sticks. I'd be like...let's go larp! And then we'd all get muddy and tired sword-fighting with branches.
  • This past weekend I went to my first LARP. It was AWESOME! It was a post apocalyptic zombie LARP. There is nothing scarier then being woken up at 5am by screaming and finding your cabin full of flesh craving zombies and their nazi masters. The big final battle was epic. It was around 12am there was no light, explosions kept going off (fireworks) and the field was filled with smoke. There were around 60 zombies and 20 Nazis attacking.