This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ugh...

13»

Comments

• You work for a telemarketing company!
  • They have a tech staff, and so do we, but they are both very small. It's mostly normal office drones.
    That's probably the best part about my job. In our entire company, there are zero office drones. There are no non-professional or non-technical staff. We don't even have any secretaries. Everyone is at the top of their game in their field of expertise. Of course, as a result, we don't have wasteful business meetings in Puerto Rico. We have fancy parties instead, and don't pretend they're anything else.
  • Learn to spend time by yourself. It is not that bad. I love to go walking by myself... finding animals...I thought was a box turtle... but it was a snapping turtle. Also make sure you take a stick walking with you. If you don't feel safe.. buy a knife.
  • They have a tech staff, and so do we, but they are both very small. It's mostly normal office drones.
    That's probably the best part about my job. In our entire company, there are zero office drones. There are no non-professional or non-technical staff. We don't even have any secretaries. Everyone is at the top of their game in their field of expertise. Of course, as a result, we don't have wasteful business meetings in Puerto Rico. We have fancy parties instead, and don't pretend they're anything else.
    So, you should just have fancy parties in Puerto Rico.

Personally, though, I'm a big fan of dressing up a fancy party in the guise of a corporate meeting. It's always entertaining to watch some of the most high-powered professionals in your industry get blasted. It's like getting dressed up, and then stripping back the layers to show we're all really on the same wavelength. Helps to punctuate the idea.

Sucks that you've got a bunch of marketing people. Though, those people might have some interesting insights into how to market your talents. Never hurts to expand your professional network. Even if you don't use the contact, having the option available can't hurt. Just don't get suckered into anything. :p
  • Alright everybody! Let's get ready for some team building exercises!
    You mean everyone on the forum is going to Puerto Rico? :3?
    You mean everyone on the forum is going to Puerto Rico? :3?
    I'd do it. :P
  • A GeekNights retreat? Awesome.
    We have to work on getting people to synergize their paradigms!

You know, it's kind of funny...my lab has applied for ISO 17025 accreditation, and I've been instrumental in writing SOP's and generally getting us up to speed. As such, I've adopted a bit of that uber-corporate jargon that you hear parodied so much, only I'm using it non-ironically. Funny how that works.
    When I was aged 9 to 16 I lived at or near various "outdoor pursuits" centers, my parents worked there, and so did me and my twin brother at various times. As well as doing the normal climbing, kayaking, caving, etc, my parents also organised training and team building exercises. They included such classics as:

1. UXB simple. My father, a one time decorated officer in the British Army, knows a lot about bombs. In Northern Ireland he had many thrown at him and is very knowledgeable on such matters. He knew a story of a bomb squad leader during WWII who had to move a butterfly bomb out of a building without it going off. He used a series of knots and pulleys and long lengths of string to lift it from the floor, then swing it out the window into the open where it could be detonated without damage. The bomb squad leader's plan didn't actually work, and he died. My father thought he had worked out a similar but better rigging technique. So he mocks up the situation twice, and sets some management types to see which team can work it out and pull it off too.

2. Cave rescue. My brother and I would go down a very remote cave by ourselves, split up, throw away our torches, then just wait. My parents would take a group of management types on a caving trip down the same cave just after us, but not tell them there was anything to find or anything strange going on. The managers would find me, and I'd pretend to have hypothermia, and my brother would pretend to have a broken leg, my parents would pretend that they didn't know us and my mother would go off and pretend to call the police and search and rescue. The managers would then be real heroes in a real emergency. Or so they thought.

3. UXB complex. My father would build a bomb. The management types would have to get to the bomb, avoiding booby traps, then disarm the bomb. The bomb splattered paint, it wasn't dangerous. There was never a single group who managed to disarm the bomb. My father once rigged our entire house up and we had a UXB party. That time a professional electrician lead the disarming of the bomb, and he got closest ever to living, but even he set it off in the end. I'm planning a UXB party at home for this autumn.

My father is quite a character.
  • We have to work on getting people to synergize their paradigms!
    Sounds like marketing speech for sentai teams.
  • Somehow I don't think we'll be doing cool bomb defusal stuff. I imagine it will be much more Office Space type bullshit.

I think I have a better way to explain the situation I'm in here.

Let's say you're standing around, and someone gives you a raffle ticket. Then suddenly you find out you've won the grand prize. The grand prize is something you don't want, like an SUV or some shit. Everyone standing around you wanted that SUV very badly. You find out that you can't sell it, or give it away. Either you take it and keep it, or nobody gets it. It's not a really good position to be in.
  • Somehow I don't think we'll be doing cool bomb defusal stuff. I imagine it will be much more Office Space type bullshit.

I think I have a better way to explain the situation I'm in here.

Let's say you're standing around, and someone gives you a raffle ticket. Then suddenly you find out you've won the grand prize. The grand prize is something you don't want, like an SUV or some shit. Everyone standing around you wanted that SUV very badly. You find out that you can't sell it, or give it away. Either you take it and keep it, or nobody gets it. It's not a really good position to be in.
    You could send a liaison...

But seriously, there must be something to do in Puerto Rico that you would enjoy. Snorkel, catch up on your reading (I saw that huge pile of un-read books of yours in the live thingy), see the sights, walk around, or whatever. It is better to go (for free) while you have the chance than realize you want to go sometime down the line and not be able to. So what if there's some corporate bullshit? It can't all be corporate bullshit.
  • Take the chance to get to know co-workers better. Maybe there are some diamonds in the rough. Also, you can just wander the beach, read, swim, etc. Do things on your own that you enjoy and relax. Ignore the other people if you like, but a few of them might be cool.
  • Yeah, seriously. You never know what might happen if you take a minute and mill around with your co-workers. Sometimes people are much different in a social environment than they are at work.
  • Take the chance to get to know co-workers better. Maybe there are some diamonds in the rough. Also, you can just wander the beach, read, swim, etc. Do things on your own that you enjoy and relax. Ignore the other people if you like, but a few of them might be cool.
    Yeah, seriously. You never know what might happen if you take a minute and mill around with your co-workers. Sometimes people are much different in a social environment than they are at work.
    I've been in a social environment with them. I know what there is to know.
  • Fine. Look for some cute Puerto Rican women and get some.
    Yeah, seriously. You never know what might happen if you take a minute and mill around with your co-workers. Sometimes people are much different in a social environment than they are at work.
    I've been in a social environment with them. I know what there is to know.
    That they're ALL boring?

You can laugh at their drunken antics.
    Why do people keep saying this? How do you reasonably expect any kind of action to happen in such a short period of time? Are you suggesting I pay for services? Are you suggesting some sort of one night stand with a stranger? Are you suggesting that Puerto Rican women are really slutty? Many people keep saying things along these lines, as if they would go and hook up with some stranger. Seriously? WTF.
    Why do people keep saying this? How do you reasonably expect any kind of action to happen in such a short period of time? Are you suggesting I pay for services? Are you suggesting some sort of one night stand with a stranger? Are you suggesting that Puerto Rican women are really slutty? Many people keep saying things along these lines, as if they would go and hook up with some stranger. Seriously? WTF.
    God, I'm being a smartass. It seems like you're dedicated to not getting any amount of enjoyment out of this trip no matter what anyone suggests.
  • Why do people keep saying this? How do you reasonably expect any kind of action to happen in such a short period of time? Are you suggesting I pay for services? Are you suggesting some sort of one night stand with a stranger? Are you suggesting that Puerto Rican women are really slutty? Many people keep saying things along these lines, as if they would go and hook up with some stranger. Seriously? WTF.
    Yes we are, it might do yourself some good, be safe though :-P
  • You could just bring someone with you to keep you company.
  • edited September 2008
    You could just bring someone with you to keep you company.
    Anyone want to spend two vacation days and buy two plane tickets and pay for a hotel room? If FRC people do go, it would be fucking awesome. I mean, seriously, mischief in the land of pirates!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • You could just bring someone with you to keep you company.
    Anyone want to spend two vacation days and buy two plane tickets and pay for a hotel room? If FRC people do go, it would be fucking awesome. I mean, seriously, mischief in the land of pirates!
    Do they pay for people to bring spouses? Maybe you could swing bringing somebody along as your "domestic partner."

I have ample vacation time, just not the funds for the plane tickets and hotel room.
  • edited September 2008
    You could just bring someone with you to keep you company.
    Do they pay for people to bring spouses? Maybe you could swing bringing somebody along as your "domestic partner."

I have ample vacation time, just not the funds for the plane tickets and hotel room.
    Same here and it was my idea. I am calling dibs.

Edit: OK I'm taking dibs back. I don't think i can pull off the "Domestic partner" bit. I'd probably end up trying to do all the things you don't want to do on your trip. Like trying to hook up with your coworkers. The rest would kick ass though.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Do they pay for people to bring spouses? Maybe you could swing bringing somebody along as your "domestic partner."
    Photographic evidence
  • I'm so happy that image made it in here.
  • I think it was inevitable.
  • I told my boss I didn't want to go, and he said we'll talk about it next week. We'll see what happens.
    So whatever happened with this, Scott? Are you still going to Puerto Rico?