This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How do you get your music?

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
I was just wondering how you guys got your music. Do you pay for it? Torrent it? Or use some P2P?
I'm just looking for a new way to music cause my current method, while getting me songs that are
real deal is slow and I can't get the songs I want. So can anyone recommend anyway to get some
music, besides limewire because I used it on my old pc and that thing got like 5 trojans all at once
and screwed it over.

Comments

• Music I just want to check out I usually torrent. If I really like the music I usually buy the album in the store. For older music I buy vinyl records.
  • Skreemr.com is low in quality but plentiful in selection (is basically uses Google to mp3s on the web). Other than that bittorrent will give you higher quality with just as good a selection but you have to know the album the song you want is in.
  • I use torrents for everything I possibly can. Other than that, I use Cabos. It's basically a really slimmed down version of Limewire, and unlike Limewire, where I got 10 viruses in the first use, I've never gotten a virus from this, and I've been using it for months. It runs on the same network, which is the Gnutella network, but it seems that it works differently. I don't know, perhaps I'm just smarter than I used to be.
  • edited September 2008
    I just tried Cabos, very nicely designed app. Still only getting 128s. I used to Shareaza which used it's own network, really liked it until I learned about bittorent. Still might be useful though.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Depends. If I'm really interested in the band or the album specifically, I buy it. I also buy things that are hard to find on the internet. If I just want a single song, I download it via LimeWire. If I can't find it there, I rip it off of YouTube but that normally gives me mixed results.
  • edited September 2008
    Thank you for the suggestions I like Cabos, the iTunes look helps, and the Shareaza website was funny. "100% Legal!", I like Cabos the best, thanks
    Post edited by Skyshiro on
  • Also, if you just want to hear a song once, you can youtube it. (just thought I'd trow it out there)
  • Bronz, I use Songza to do that, I like the interface.
  • I torrent stuff I like and buy it if I really like it, but that is rare. Often I will browse youtube and just add as many songs I can to my quickplay list and that suffices most of the time for some quick music. Often you'll get hit with a low quality version though.
  • I used to use Shareaza which used it's own network, really liked it until I learned about bittorent. Still might be useful though.
    Same here, though didn't Shareaza use other networks? Gnutella, Edonkey, it even does torrents, although crappily. A thing of note, Shareaza had their domain name taken over at some point earlier this year. Don't know if they already got it back, so be careful if you go visit the site.
  • Pirating is the only good thing to do, I never use iTunes or any of that RIAA shit.
  • Normally I get things on CD and rip it. I'm always nervous buying too much on iTunes in case DRM issues rear their ugly heads. Except if I need a single song, then iTunes is the easiest and cheapest option.
  • Torrent the things I can get, P2P for the really hard to find stuff.

I've actually listened to some bands that are so obscure, it's actually easier for me to buy the album online than it is to find an active torrent.
  • Normally I get things on CD and rip it. I'm always nervous buying too much on iTunes in case DRM issues rear their ugly heads. Except if I need a single song, then iTunes is the easiest and cheapest option.
    Well the RIAA is still to this day relentlessly lobbying for Congress to pass a law to legalize DRM. The experts themselves even say so. So, you're not too far off with your prediction.

I've actually listened to some bands that aresoobscure, it's actuallyeasierfor me to buy the album online than it is to find an active torrent.
    Care to enlighten me on your obscure tastes?
  • edited September 2008
    I've actually listened to some bands that aresoobscure, it's actuallyeasierfor me to buy the album online than it is to find an active torrent.
    I've been really into Japanese noise music lately, and it's impossible to find torrents of some of that stuff (see: Afrirampo). I could only find Suuto Breakor on amazon.de. D:

Also, I use 4megaupload and megadownload for .rar files, and isohunt and The Pirate Bay for torrents.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited September 2008
    Nowadays most of the music I listen to is legal and free. I stream from something like Pandora or Last.fm. I download lots of music podcasts, like the Roadhouse. I download legally free mp3s direct from the artist. If all that fails, I go to piratebay. If there is no torrent at piratebay, I will usually give up. It's not worth going through any more effort to find the music. However, if I really wanted the music very badly, I would buy it from the Amazon MP3 store. So far, I have never bought anything from the Amazon store, so that should tell you something.

Keep in mind that I still have many many gigs of music I downloaded back in the day from Napster, WinMX, DirectConnect, and other old school P2P networks, many of which don't really exist anymore. I was lucky in that I was at RIT with insane bandwidth during the heyday of P2P file sharing. I also have a bunch of MP3s I ripped from CDs that I bought back before the days of the mp3.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Ares Lite works pretty good for me... Although if I run that and Vuze at the same time, my compy near explodes.
  • edited September 2008
    1. if I just want to sample shit or hear a song once: I just search for it on Youtube
    2. if I'm looking for specific songs and specific songs only, and for the purpose of downloading: either do a google mp3 search, or I rip songs from youtube
    3. If I want to listen to something in my car, if I find a good sale, if I really like the band/artist, if it's hard to find torrents/torrents with seeders: I buy the physical CD
    4. torrents. Lately I've downloaded a lot of torrents of full discographies (Rage against the machine, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Muse, and Led Zeppelin, looking to download all of Beck in the future).
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Either torrent or buying the CD, usually. Occasionally I'll purchase music from the iTunes store or some other, but only if it's DRM free.
  • I torrent stuff, and subscribe to some music blogs. Then if I like the artist a lot and have some spare cash I buy vinyl. Or for really obscure stuff I order in the CD in indie record shops.
    Well the RIAA is still to this day relentlessly lobbying for Congress to pass a law to legalize DRM.The experts themselveseven say so. So, you're not too far off with your prediction.
    What do you mean by this? Is DRM legal or illegal? I'm not so concerned about the legal status of DRM stuff, I just don't want a DRM server to turn off and me lose a shit ton of albums. CD's may not be the modern way of doing things, but it means I always have a hard backup.
  • Don't worry, if all the DRM servers shut down it won't take long for someone to crack the DRM as it is no longer being updated.

Care to enlighten me on your obscure tastes?
    The best example I've got right now is Axamenta. I've found exactly one torrent of their stuff, and it has 2 leechers. At this point, i could more readily buy their albums.
  • Torrents mostly, and if I like the music I'll keep an eye out for a reasonably priced CD. Most of the music I want can be gotten (eventually) this way.
  • The music I listen to has no torrents... I wish more people listened to Bach.
  • I wish more people listened to Bach.
    People have no taste in music. ^_~ You've inspired me, however, to start a new thread.
  • I wish more people listened to Bach.
    People have no taste in music. ^_~ You've inspired me, however, to start a new thread.
    No, he didn't. You were talking about that thread yesterday.
  • The music I listen to has no torrents... I wish more people listened to Bach.
    Hmmm, Bach, I have not searched for a torrent of his stuff no, I do however got Beethoven's works months, if not a year, ago.
  • I torrent/direct download a lot of my music, a lot of which is obscure geeky game stuff. Given, I care somewhat about the legality, so the majority of what I download is out-of-print CDs. I figure, if the publisher isn't selling it and getting the money anymore, it's free enough game to me. Not that reselling is bad, it's just that when short of money, I don't feel the need to support resale and feed the middleman or eBay sellers cranked up prices for something that's "rare" because it's out of print.

However, I do have a fair shair of legal music too, some of which are CDs my family owns. I also own a lot of classical/contemporary band/orchestra, due to the CDs purchased from concerts that I was playing at, which often also include other groups as well. So it's a bit of a mix of everything. Some things I've downloaded as single tracks that come from japan that I'm clueless to the legality of, but seem to be mostly unpublished obscurities which are download-only anyway.