This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Which [linux] Distro, Which DE?

edited September 2008 in Flamewars
It's the old KDE vs Gnome or maybe the Gentoo vs Ubuntu vs Mandriva vs Arch vs gOS vs mint vs slackware vs etc thing.

I use Gentoo, just because is seems to fit me well and I use Gnome (for the moment) just because KDE 3.5 looks pretty ugly.

So what do YOU use and why?

Comments

• Windows Vista, cause it all works without a fuss.
  • I use the right tool for the job.
  • Every past KDE release has made me turn my head, but 4 is looking better by the minute.
  • Windows Vista, cause it all works without a fuss.
    Since when is Windows Vista a Linux distro? Either way, I still poke about with Ubuntu and Gnome. I tried the Gentee LiveCD once, but it was extremely slow (slower than the Ubuntu LiveCD I mean), and the set up failed.
  • edited September 2008
    Windows Vista, cause it all works without a fuss.
    I find that hard to believe. He's probably running Ubuntu with a Vista theme.

Currently using Ubuntu but when I have the time and hard drive space, I'll have another try at Arch Linux, which has a lot of the advantages of Gentoo without the maintenance.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Windows Vista, cause it all works withoutafuss.
    Isn't that the same thing these days?
  • Windows Vista, cause it all works withoutafuss.
    Isn't that the same thing these days?
    Apart form the cost of 700 dollars and your soul? Pretty much.
  • It's only the soul bit if you're running it in boot camp.
  • Ubuntu + Vista theme = Windows Vista.
    Windows Vista = Windows Vista + costs 700 dollars + costs 1 soul.
    Bootcamp + Windows Vista = Windows Vista + costs 700 dollars.

So what about Bootcamp + Ubuntu + Vista theme?
  • Ubuntu. It's easy, stable and supported. The next time I do a fresh Linux install I'll probably try KDE 4 though.
  • Posted By: gedavidsWindows Vista, cause it all works withoutafuss.
    Actually without a fuss is a grammatically correct phrase AFAIK.
  • Honestly? Windows Vista.

The only reason I ever reboot into Ubuntu (Gnome) is to do the podcast. If I buy Audition, I won't have any reason to reboot anymore. ^_^
  • Windows Vista = Windows Vista + costs 700 dollars + costs 1 soul.
    x=x+1 ## RUN AWAY!!
    x=x+1 ## RUN AWAY!!
    x++ // run away !
  • edited September 2008
    I used to run Ubuntu, but then I optimized all the stuff on my windows partition, removed huge amounts of bloatware, and now I primarily use XP SP2 on my laptop. Vista runs on the gaming box.

That being said, I'll probably be building a computer that will function as a MAME box, Stepmania machine, and a media server for college, and THAT will be running Linux. Haven't decided which distro yet.

EDIT: Writing this post gave me the BIGGEST rush of project ideas ever.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    x=x+1 ## RUN AWAY!!
    x++ // run away !
    Both of you suck. I'm not incrementing with one.
  • edited September 2008
    That being said, I'll probably be building a computer that will function as a MAME box, Stepmania machine, and a media server for college, and THAT will be running Linux. Haven't decided which distro yet.
    For love of the FSM and IPU, avoid ATI graphics cards for that one.

Afa, calm down dear, it's only a forum thread. I'm really a very good driver.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • That being said, I'll probably be building a computer that will function as a MAME box, Stepmania machine, and a media server for college, and THAT will be running Linux. Haven't decided which distro yet.
    For love of the FSM and IPU, avoid ATI graphics cards for that one.

Afa, calm down dear, it's only a forum thread. I'm really a very good driver.
    I'll probably end up using some older Nvidia card; MAME ran incredibly well on my ancient windows box with 256MB of RAM and a GeForce FX4. However, I only ever ran 2D games. The box inside of the cabinet will probably have the highest end card my budget allows for (probably in the event that I decide to fulfill my nerd dream of having a MAME box that can run Time Crisis ROMs at full speed). That might not happen because of the complications with using a light gun, and the fact that MAME generally can't run TC very well.
  • Afa, calm down dear, it's only a forum thread. I'm really a very good driver.
    WAAAAAAAAAAAA! D: But I'm still scared mister. When am I getting that candy?
    x=x+1 ## RUN AWAY!!
    x++ // run away !
    Both of you suck. I'm not incrementing with one.
    x -= 1000; // run away!
  • while(true){x+=1;}
  • Afa, calm down dear, it's only a forum thread. I'm really a very good driver.
    WAAAAAAAAAAAA! D: But I'm still scared mister. When am I getting that candy?
    I honestly can't find the original esure commercial.. Internet, you have failed me.
  • while(true){x+=1;}
    Do you talk to Your Mom with that code?
    I honestly can't find the original esure commercial.. Internet, you have failed me.
    Oooh, never saw that commercial, or heard about it before. The bastardized Youtube videos are rather clear though.
  • I recently switched from running ubuntu/winxp on my desktop to running gentoo/winxp. I have to say, I really am learning a lot about linux and computers in general by making the switch. For most of my work, though, I use a macbook. Sure, it has winxp installed, but I only use that for gaming. It's generally booted into osx.

At work, I use ubuntu livecd's like nobody's business. Those are the most useful tech support tool I have ever encountered.
  • edited September 2008
    Honestly? Windows Vista.

The only reason I ever reboot into Ubuntu (Gnome) is to do the podcast. If I buy Audition, I won't have any reason to reboot anymore. ^_^
    Rym, dont buy audition! I have a copy of Cool Edit Pro I can give you! It's a thinstall version, but it works great! ^_^
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Rym, dont buy audition! I have a copy of Cool Edit Pro I can give you!
    I also have a working copy of Cool Edit Pro.

It has some serious problems on modern computers, and it lacks a few useful features that didn't really exist while it was still in development. It performs like crap compared to Audition, mostly for the fact that it was written a long time ago for much slower processors with much less RAM.
  • Oh, really? I tried Audition a while back and it was a little complicated, so I went back to audacity. I only switched to cool edit a few months ago due to your recommendation. Well, I'm gonna be getting my new mixer in a week or two, so I guess now would be the time to give Audition another try then.
  • Well, I'm gonna be getting my new mixer in a week or two, so I guess now would be the time to give Audition another try then.
    Don't use Audition unless you run into one of the things Cool Edit can't do. Cool Edit is a fantastic program.

I've gotten to the point where Cool Edit is missing a handful of features that I would actually use, and I've run into the limitations of that old code. Unless you've run into the same issues, Cool Edit will do you well.
  • edited September 2008
    Rym, you've changed a lot. You used to be the Linux loving geek who I listened to. What happened?
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • edited September 2008
    Forgive me, Rym, for assuming your position on this topic.

I don't think Rym was a "Linux loving" geek, I think that Linux was just the OS that he used because it was most convenient for what he needed to do. And now that what he's doing is changing, Windows is the right OS.

In other words, It's just Rym you listened to. The Linux was just the decorations on the wrapper.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on