This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081029 - The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

Comments

• Well, I think the reason they don't listen to me is because they like to accidentally watch bad shows.
    Bad anime are like random encounters. Ryofuko-chan just happened to be a mini-boss.
    edited October 2008
    Yawaraka Sangokushi Tsukisase!! Ryofuko-chan..[NSFW in a way so wrong.]
    *shudder..*Good god man, what were you thinking? Didn't you even look at the thumbnail!
    I watched that entire thing (I was too shocked to close the tab), it has some funny parts. All of them involving the talking teddy bear who gets more and more destroyed as the episode goes on only to become a garbage monster. I agree, it's horrible. But it's better than other moe shows though. The two main lolis do not act moe!... at least, not all the time. It might even be funnier if you know the Three Kingdoms, which I don't. It might also be worse if you know the Three Kingdoms.

@Rym, it's a very small mini-boss at best. Where you choose 'run', I choose 'fight', at times. :D

Disclaimer, I was really freaking bored when I saw that link. Such an episode of extreme boredom has happened to me before in recent memory. I remedied that case with the first 5 or so minutes of Strike Witches ep1. I cracked up. The level of fan-service could be considered art, insanity or a really desperate attempt by a really desperate animation studio.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Well, I think the reason they don't listen to me is because they like to accidentally watch bad shows.
    There is nothing accidental when someone warn you about something that is bad.
  • I think the thing that bothers me the most about Ryofuko-chan is that not only is it crazy moe, but it's crazy moe where the main lolis are apparently warrior gods trapped in the bodies of lolis. That's... that's just plain messed up.
  • This is the second time you guys have reccommended something so highly I went and bought it the same day.
    Same here. I actually bought it before I finished listening to the podcast. The guy behind the counter at the comic store was amused when I walked in the door and told him the podcast I was listening to sent me to buy a comic book.

The discussion about retconning reminded me of another well done story. It was a two-part Star Trek (stop laughing!) novel: The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh.

While most Star Trek books seem to be generated by a Markov chain working off of rejected romance novels and a decade's worth of Fermilab output, these books were pretty well written. They basically address the idea of how a whole war fought by genetic supermen could have been happened in the 90's without anybody noticing. They also redeemed that weird pilot/spinoff episode of the original Star Trek.
  • If you don't have the Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck yet, get one soon, because it's out of print. Or, wait until Spring when it goes back to print.
  • I picked up a 2nd printing edition at a comic shop yesterday and I finished it less than an hour ago. I have the Companion coming from Amazon hopefully by the end of the week. Those D.U.C.K.'s got harder and harder to locate as the book went on. I could usually find the one in the splash page, but the covers were more difficult.
    This marks at least the third bit of media I've grabbed on recommendation of GN. I'm doing well with them so far.
  • Have you guys read the Hellboy comics? I just picked them up and they seem to be really entertaining.
  • edited November 2008
    Have you guys read the Hellboy comics? I just picked them up and they seem to be really entertaining.
    Hellboy's good stuff, and Mike Mignola is one of my absolute favorite artists, and, imho, the best visual storyteller working in comics today. Unfortunately, he doesn't do much interior work these days, though he did just draw a new Hellboy story.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Hellboy is awesome -- it gets much stronger after the first volume after Mignola himself took over writing and started settling into a solid style.

Reading 'Pancakes' was one of the defining moments of comics for me.
  • edited November 2008
    Eh... I think you'll get better results just saying the French eight with a clear t and a slight rise in tone to indicate a question. Thus saying, "Wiet?" sorta... Then again, just saying, "Where can I get myself some cannabis?" will most likely be far easier and faster. :)
    In the end, I'd just find someone who looks like a tourist and then try English - my lote skills, definitely not up to scratch. Thanks for the tip, though - even if admittedly, one very rarely partakes.

I'm frankly surprised nobody has mentioned Gizmoduck yet.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Reading 'Pancakes' was one of the defining moments of comics for me.
    My girlfriend and I still call them "pamcakes".
  • Most of the malls around here (Northern/Central NJ) have kiosks that sell bootleg martial art movies. They also have a few anime DVDs but not many. Most of the bootleg anime I see around is in the used DVD bins at GameStop and such.
  • Haven’t posted in a while, but the FUNimation and bootlegging story (leading in to your suggestions on how to handle them in “real-life” situations) reminded me of an old college tale.

Back at Rutgers, we would have special “vendor days” where all sorts of vendors would come to the student centers (they would cycle through all of the campuses) selling all sorts of cheap garbage. You could find jewelry, bags, sunglasses, etc. One of the vendors sold movies. You can probably tell where this is going. Yep, all bootlegs. There was little in the way of anime (maybe one or two), but it was all the same type of photocopied-artwork slapped into cases with DVD-Rs.

Being the righteous jerk I am, I felt like doing something about it. One day when the vendor was by himself (it wasn’t one of the dedicated “vendor days” when they were all there) at our student center on Livingston campus, I headed on over with my buddy Andrew and then-girlfriend (now-wife) Meri and a video camera.

We began by “interviewing” him about his experiences about traveling across colleges, selling to students, etc. We then called him on the fact that he was selling bootleg material. I’m PRETTY sure that we even had an example of a legit version of one of the movies he was selling, and held them both up to the camera in front of him.

He flew off the handle and started blah-blah-blah-ing about how lame we were, that’s why we were on “that side” of the table (huh?), how he was going to report us, call the police, etc. We asked him to please go ahead and call the police, but he kept making up excuses. Finally he whipped out some type of book with a phone number to call and report him if we really wanted to. We obliged and began to do so, but he snatched the book away before we got the number into a phone.

I don’t remember a whole lot else about what happened (I unfortunately have no idea where the video tape is), but I know for a fact that he never again came to Livingston campus. I saw him over on one of the other campuses again a few weeks later, but he was the sole vendor that never came back to our campus that year.

I also did the same thing (on camera) to a vendor at Otakon one year before they instituted the official “no bootlegs” policy.
  • After listening to this episode I really want to read the comic.
  • I'm frankly surprised nobody has mentioned Gizmoduck yet.
    Blathering blatherskite.
  • One of the biggest pains in the ass when people donate shit to the club library is, indeed, boots. I've taken at least two DVDs that were subtler-than-crap boots. The one I have in front of me now looks almost real until you turn it over and realize the back looks nothing like what a real DVD back looks like in America.
  • I just finished the Life and Times Companion. I have to say, I think "The Prisoner of White Agony Creek" and "Hearts of the Yukon" are my favorite stories from the two books. Scrooge and Goldie are just perfect for each other.
  • Scrooge and Goldie <3<3<3
  • I got the book on Monday and just finished it. It was a fantastic read. When I was a kid, 8-10 years old, I used to read the Mickey Mouse which was a weekly german Disney comic magazine. I believe to recall that they had printed "Heart of Yukon" in there once which I loved as a story. I distinctively recall a story which was set in the Yukon golddigger days of Scrooge printed there which had Goldie in it, but I won't be sure if it was Heart of Yukon until I read the companion which I also ordered from Amazon today.
  • Check this out. It's the complete McDuck Family Tree. It's more complete than the one you've probably seen already. It's even got Gyro's family and such.
  • Check this out. It's the complete McDuck Family Tree. It's more complete than the one you've probably seen already. It's even got Gyro's family and such.
    How can it be more complete when it's WRONG? If throwing in random questionmarks and ignoring parts of Barks' lineage makes a family tree more complete, then yes, that is a more complete version. But give me my Barksian facts backed up Don Rosa family tree which still has Scrooge's McDuck uncles, where Fergus McDuck doesn't suddenly appear and has 3 relationships, one with a questionmark resulting in some Gideon McDuck, one with Downy O'Drake and one WITH HER SISTER!? Also, Scrooge only had something with Glittering Goldie. Crappy Walt Disney paying no respect to the original creator of the main (Mc)Duck family.
  • We have mapped the whole human genome and yet we do not know what is the purpose of most of the genes and yet it is a beautiful thing. I am amazed of how big that family tree is and yet I can't help to wonder how Gyro's got his kids?
    Also, I didn't know Donald had kids with Daisy. And what is up with Goldfire Mc Duck?
  • Also take into account that the family tree may have changed as the series have gone on.
    edited February 2009
    Also take into account that the family tree may have changed as the series have gone on.
    . . .
    *facepalm*
    There is no series, singular. That big family tree is just a mock up of all the characters added by other Disney authors/artists, without respect, to what Carl Barks originally created. In my opinion they fucked up by mixing up the roots as seen in that tree. Fergus McDuck isn't even a descendant of the root McDuck tree!
    Also, I didn't know Donald had kids with Daisy.
    They don't, they might some day if they marry, that's a part of the family tree I'm less annoyed by than the garbage thrown in lower in the tree.
    And what is up with Goldfire Mc Duck?
    He, and his immediate descendants were one of the first things I saw before hunting down the official pieces of the family tree (and growing angered at the disrespect for the original works), that was funny.
    Post edited by ... on
  • @Nineless: What is the plural or series? Your fail is duly noted.
  • @Nineless: What is the plural or series? Your fail is duly noted.
    Plural of series is series. However:
    Also take into account that the family tree may have changed as the series have gone on.
    Finally, Barks is canon. You have the right to a differing opinion, but you would be wrong.
  • edited February 2009
    @Timo. What point are you trying to make? Wait, isn't that a contradiction?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited February 2009
    Wait, are people getting uppity aboute Scrooge McDuck's family tree? Really?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited February 2009
    Wait, are people getting uppity aboute Donald Duck's family tree?Really?
    It's quite simple, really.
    Post edited by Omnutia on